Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:57:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Club: Metroid 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Game Club: Metroid 2  (Read 5427 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

Howdy! It's time for our first month of the relaunched Game Club. Our first game? Metroid 2!

Metroid 2 was released by Nintendo on the Game Boy. Samus fights some nerds, blah blah, whatever.

Play it on the original handheld, download a ROM, whatever. No downloads or links will be given out through this thread. The only caveats are:

• You have to play the original Metroid 2. No remakes.
  • You can't use any emulator features, such as save states or cheat codes.

Discuss all your findings and thoughts in this thread! Please put spoilers behind glow tags, like so. The tag is below, if you need a copy-paste for it.

Code:
[glow=black,2,300][/glow]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:49:06 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »

Let's do this! :D

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »

I'm stoked! I've actually never played a Metroid game before, so this should be interesting!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »

YAAAaaaay lets do this

JWK5
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »

Last time I played Metroid 2 was on an actual GameBoy back in grade school. This ought to be interesting.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 10:32:58 PM »

My body is ready.

Code:
   K   
<O^=^O>

*cue fanfare*

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:23:38 PM »

yeeeeah i'm shit enough at video games that probably going to end up using the save states on my 3ds. sorry guys. i'm excited for this one, though!

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »

I've been going through the original Metroid all day, this game is hard Who, Me?

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »

Some of the metroid fight arenas are killer. I'm loving the powerups though
forwardresent
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:21 AM »

Still have my original cart and DMG! Battery is probably gone by now though I haven't played it in years. Music in this is super good.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 03:06:54 AM »

years ago since I played it but there are too many indistinguishable corridors and it doesn't help that all of them are grey but I had a fun time with it and the music is Hand Thumbs Up Left

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »

years ago since I played it but there are too many indistinguishable corridors and it doesn't help that all of them are grey but I had a fun time with it and the music is Hand Thumbs Up Left

I kinda appreciate that about Metroid II, actually.  Like the original Metroid, it feels like a world that wasn't made with me in mind.  (But that's something I appreciate at a distance, more than when I actually play them.)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:57 AM »

I feel like the difficulty spike from the earlier game areas to the first Metroid battle is absolutely insane. Is there any pattern to them, or do they just rush at you full force?

Also, I love the little detail Nintendo put into Samus's sprite in-game. They could've gotten lazy and just mirrored her left and right directions, but I loved that her blaster always stays on the correct side.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »

"at least it's better than metroid 1" i think, booting it up on my 3DS and playing it for a few minutes before turning it off and saying "i'll do this later;" i will, because it's good for me, but also because i have an essay to write and i've got little time to write it.  

i've never finished metroid 2. or metroid 1, for that matter. i've got a mental block i think for games this slow that were designed in any sense to be this slow, where the difficulty spike is astronomical without approaching in an enjoyable way.

i, like some others, treat super metroid as the "true" start of the franchise; the speed and fluidity increases to a point where the game feels like ballet. metroid 2 plays like a helicopter that has problems getting it up. it's so vertical and slow slow slow in the left and right department.

part of the reason I Die So Much is that there seems to be a terrible lack of FOV in this game. most of that is likely because of the sheer size of everything. samus is huge. enemies are pretty huge. everything takes up so much screen real estate and it gets claustrophobic fast, which is on the one hand a feeling that a metroid game should be giving me (so kudos) but on the other hand makes things feel impossible.

i'm determined to finish this, though.

I feel like the difficulty spike from the earlier game areas to the first Metroid battle is absolutely insane

this, for the record, is where i stopped playing

fuckin nuts

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:53 AM »

same here, now that i think about it.

i never understood gameboy games with huge sprites that still played like they were supposed to be normal-sized (see: super mario land 2, donkey kong land or w/e it's called and all the mega-man games (wario land is an example of something that *does* do it right, though, because it's designed around wario being a lardbutt))

i've got a lot of schoolwork right now so i'll probably be getting to this later this week.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

Fuck. These. Guys. Fuck absolutely everything about them.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »

I feel the first alpha metroid should have been faced on a more even ground to get the player understand the strategy needed to get rid of them. As it is, I think the steep inclines on narrow spaces make for a poor introduction.

I feel this is more interesting as a case study for the series progressing rather than as a stand alone entity. It should be noted that the sprite is even larger than the nes version. I think they tried to compensate for readability given the limited pallete.

As mentioned the rather small fov enhances the atmosphere. SO far i havent felt that it has worsened the gameplay perse. The level layout seems to be far more linear to acocunt for such, because more open spaces are hard to read on a single screen.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »

One thing on the small screen real estate: I really wish there was some way to peek below you.  For all of the vertical movement you're doing in the game, it seems like a feature that would really help you spot potential threats before taking a leap of faith down onto the next platform.  On top of that, I feel like the lack of aerial maneuverability Samus has really hampers my ability to navigate the platforming segments above the pools of lava/plasma/whatever.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »

I'm already just past the point where you get bombs, and it's expecting you to learn the bomb jump.

That last one is a flippin' doozy. It requires a TRIPLE BOMB JUMP, while avoiding a pacing enemy that basically paces for about 5-6 tiles; pop into crouch position and blast it before it bumps you off.

>.< That is NOT how you do that. But at least, from the sound of it, I'm considerably further than you slobs.

Those Alpha Metroids aren't *that* hard. Use your crouching.

And I'm 2DS'ing classic Metroid. I made it to the corridor where I get the Varia Suit (without the Hi-Jump Boots!), and I'm trying to do that irritating bomb-jump-over-the-invisible-gap it takes to get in there. Sub-pixel collision detection ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. Even when it looks like "you've made it," if you're displayed even with it because you're at 0.8 pixels high instead of the full pixel, it's still just like hitting a wall.

Who the balls thought "shoulder high blaster, knee-high enemies, no crouching" was a good idea, either? I don't blame Nintendo singlehandedly for that - a LOT LOT LOT of computer games of the time tended to do that as well.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »

I got the bomb, the ice beam and the spider ball and i am not sure which part you mean. I kinda like they did take into account how rooms warp as a whole with the spider ball, but there are areas where its just tedium avoiding those circle motion wasp thingies.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic