Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:27:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsQuestica -- Another Gosh Darn Pixel Game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Questica -- Another Gosh Darn Pixel Game  (Read 20306 times)
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »

That one looks good too! I like that water also.

One other question, according to the code you posted, shouldn't your ripples be in the shapes of diamonds? How are you getting circles?

I'll just link you to the page where I learned about how the algorithm works, it explains it pretty well  Smiley
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/graphics/x_water.htm

Also! Here's a few screenshots I've taken lately that should show how the game is going to look with a multiplayer party playing around. I'm very pleased with how they turned out

Working on Questica!

Devlog: Here!
Twitter: @purenickery
www.questica.net
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 03:49:37 PM »

Awesome post regarding the water! That effect is super cool! It's nice hearing about other people's games, but it's even cooler to hear about how they accomplish certain things... Cause sometime's I'll be like... HOW DID YOU DOOO THAT?!  Mock Anger

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 06:13:51 AM »

Thanks for the link! That explains a lot. I'm still not entirely sure why the water makes a circle though... I'll have to try implementing it to fully understand.

Also that new water screenshot looks awesome! Only improvement I can see would be to do something with the shorelines. There not bad, but the rest of the water is of a much higher level.

Also that evening picture is really nice. That one dude in red kinda looks like Frodo.

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

Thanks for the link! That explains a lot. I'm still not entirely sure why the water makes a circle though... I'll have to try implementing it to fully understand.

Also that new water screenshot looks awesome! Only improvement I can see would be to do something with the shorelines. There not bad, but the rest of the water is of a much higher level.

Also that evening picture is really nice. That one dude in red kinda looks like Frodo.

We actually just finished fixing those shorelines yesterday Smiley and it's great you noticed the similarities! That character is based on Bilbo from The Hobbit  Well, hello there!

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
jxjxjf
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »

Very excited for this!

It's gorgeous. Smiley
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »

Very excited for this!

It's gorgeous. Smiley

Also here ye here ye! Questica will be at Fort Collins Comic Con coming this September. If anyone happens to be in the Colorado area you can stop by and try the game out if you're that desperate! Also we should be releasing a demo to you all around that time since, you know, we'll have to make one for the Comic Con.

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 01:48:27 AM »

'Twas a month before the Con, and all through the basement
Nick's fingers were stirring, rewriting procedural placement
It had to be ready in time for the Con
Our first public showing just had to be bomb

We needed monsters and items and content galore
Questica had to be more than anyone could ever ask for
I had 31 days to get it all ready
In the midst of college, a job, and a relationship steady

Now, what, tonight, did I do you might ask?
Adding in vicious monsters is my current large task
I now introduce you to The Grabble, our first sentient creature
Disguised as a rock, you won't notice him either

Until he rushes at you, that is, of course
A quick reaction time will be your only recourse
You must hit him before he hits you
You're heart must be pure, and you're aim must be true

On his back he will flip, legs in the air
One more down swing will kill him right there
Use the shell as a helmet or his legs as a snack
Just at least put the remnants somewhere in your pack

30 more days to develop we have left
Of sleep and rest we will sure be bereft
Please check back when you're able, we will post updates here
A full game experience we will have, never fear

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 04:37:32 AM »

Scariest enemy I've ever seen. it rocks.

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 02:24:58 AM »

Today has filled me with sorrow
The work I got done was not thorough
  I went out to play
  And got carried away
So now I'll have more work for tomorrow

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »

I have not written in a while
  so this one may be lengthy
I've worked on lots of different things
  so updates here are plenty

The first thing I did recently
  was make the forge work perfectly
To melt your metals from below
  just put them in there fervently

Just mix and match to make alloys
  and grab the bar, you see
Then take it to the near anvil
  and choose what it will be

Of all the scrolls that you have found
  pick just one to make
Hammer away down on that bar
  to make a pointy stake

And now we want the world to fill
  with creatures big and small
Some things for you to fight and kill,
  collect their meaty haul

Either that or capture them
  and keep them as your pet
They'll help you transport all your stuff
  you'll need to find a vet

Or p'raps you'll take the fishers route
  and grab that lengthy rod
toss the lure in the water
  to catch some juicy cod

Just one more animal we have
  for now, that is, at least
Majestic birds fly through the sky
  fleeing from large beasts

To shoot one down using your bow
  Just aim real high and true
You use the meat for nourishment
  or blood thrown in your brew

Much more we'll do these coming weeks
  we have a lot that's planned
Alas I must go back to school
  that sacred, awful land

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 05:32:22 AM »

The poems are getting a bit irksome...  Who, Me? I may be wrong, but I believe most programmers prefer clarity and conciseness. Poems have a lot of unnecessary fluff.

But whatever, your devlog.

I like the cow, wolf, and the elk. At first I thought that gray thing was a giant hedgehog or something. Pretty sure it's a feral dog now. Is that dude standing in a wall?

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »

The poems are getting a bit irksome...  Who, Me? I may be wrong, but I believe most programmers prefer clarity and conciseness. Poems have a lot of unnecessary fluff.

But whatever, your devlog.

I like the cow, wolf, and the elk. At first I thought that gray thing was a giant hedgehog or something. Pretty sure it's a feral dog now. Is that dude standing in a wall?

That one is supposed to be a boar. I make the walls disappear so you can see the inside of the building but I'll put back the side walls soon to make it clearer.

Most of the time lately I write these devlogs at around 4-5 in the morning after working all night so I feel kinda tired and slap-happy so poems seem like a good idea. They'll stop

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 04:46:40 AM »

Suuuuuure is quiet round here...   Blink

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »

Yeah, this last month has been absolutely crazy. I'm going to start getting back to consistent updates now that we have a firm plan for where to go! For now though I'll give a quick D-L for what we've been up to over the past month.

• School! College has started back up and it is slowly sucking my life away. It's wonderful
  • Multiplayer! I've been refactoring multiplayer to make it smoother and faster. Using snapshots to send movement and state data I can interpolate between snapshots to make the multiplayer only slightly delayed and really smooth.
  • Crafting! We've been figuring out exactly how to get crafting to work and implementing it into the game. We're trying to make it more complicated than a simple A+B=C situation that most games have going on.
  • Ludum Dare! We participated in Ludum Dare for the second time. After pulling an all-nighter and generally hating our mere existence for 72 hours we ended up doing better than the first time! http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=49927
  • Comic Con! We showed off the game for the first time publicly at Fort Collins Comic Con. After a huge debacle about space and where our booth was going to be we finally got some prime real-estate right next to the entrance of the con! It's also the first time after 5 years of working together that me and Cody met in person. We got some really valuable feedback and overall it was a great experience.

Here's the banner we had printed out for the con

And here's a picture of our sexy little faces at the Con!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:02:54 PM by purenickery » Logged

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »

Lately I've spent a lot of time working on a website for the game. Getting back in to web development after such a long time is really refreshing (and kind of frustrating with how much I've forgotten). There's going to be our own forum for people to post comments and suggestions as well as news updates for the game.

Anyone who signs up can choose to get important email updates about the game (not super often, just important stuff). Also it'll let us know who's interested in taking part in a private beta which we will hopefully get set up in the next few months. Get excited!

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2015, 12:40:36 AM »

As much as I loved the days back when all the characters looked exactly the same, there comes a day when we all must move on towards brighter futures. This brighter future specifically entails all kinds of hair styling products our characters have taken up using. Along with this some of them have taken it upon themselves to stop shaving, it's pretty trendy these days.

They've also been working diligently on inventing a substance to dye their hair all colors of the rainbow but they're not quite there yet. They'll probably do it tomorrow after they finish studying to those gosh-darn midterms.

After that me and Cody just have to do some research and figure out what a girl looks like, we've only heard stories.

On a separate note I finally got around to adding a light up in the air that only the water reacts to. This gives the effect of water reflecting a bit of sunlight into the camera and I think it looks really nice.

On another separate note stapled to my large bulletin board: The website is coming along splendidly! Today I have been working feverishly on getting PayPal properly integrated (a much harder task than I was expecting). We're going to have a period soon where any of you who are interested can get an account on the website (and therefore for the game) for free for about a week! Those people will be able to post on the forums and take part in a semi-private beta. After that we'll probably charge a small amount for people to play the game.

In a post soon I'll describe exactly what we're going for with the game and its multiplayer capabilities. Stay tuned!

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »

Big Heading!
I've decided to take up using big headings in order to draw more attention to my posts. It's sure to execute flawlessly.

Anyways, let's talk about multiplayer. A lot of games these days have multiplayer. You know the drill, find someone with a server, join their server, play around a bit, log off, and wonder to yourself if this process could be any better. Could you ever get more enjoyment out of your online multiplayer games? Well I'm to tell you there's a better way! How, you ask? You wait an nondescript amount of time for Questica to come out! Just hold on to your seat and stare at the computer screen for a while until you get in to the private beta!

Eye-Catching Title
So what's different about multiplayer in Questica? My personal goal for it is to capture that feeling you get from sitting around a table with your friends making up characters and adventures for them to go on while the one douchebag at the end up the table decides all your fate using only their brain and a few dice.

So basically there will be two main multiplayer modes: random adventure and dungeon master!

In random adventure you all join up on a server and all play a randomly generated adventure where you work together and tackle obstacles.
In dungeon master mode, whoever is running the server gets omniscient knowledge and omnipotent power over the world and everything in it. They can craft a story for the players to work through and build a world for them to explore (using the random generation tools to help out). They can spawn raids and create NPC characters with personalities, add their own items and weapons to the game specific to their story, and control the weather patterns. Now that one friend who's always the DM can be even more of a douchebag all the time!

But that's also what I think is great about this, nearly no limitations will give people the power to be as creative as they want being able to build exactly the adventure they want or to run into fun random occurrences no one will be able to expect.

The Pudding
As we all know, the proof is in the pudding, so here's some nice tasty pudding for you all. I even used whole milk!
I've been changing how the movement gets transferred over multiplayer recently to allow for much smoother appearing movement with as little latency as possible. Since this game isn't *super* action oriented, a few tenths of a second shouldn't be an enormous deal (but please tell me if I'm wrong).
Here's a gif of one dude walking around another dude so you can see how much lag there is over the internet:

Now for the world editing and server management. This part isn't super complete yet, there's still a long way to go, but the basics are in. The person running the server can open a menu on the right side of the screen to place entities, edit entities, build houses, etc. All of the entities loaded into that panel are all the ones in that entity folder (from a few updates back), including all the entities added through mods. Anything added by the person running the server will automatically be added for all the people playing the game!

And once again, feel free to ask any questions or post any comments. We would love to hear what any of you have to say!

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »

Can you add a preview window to the right menu so we can see the difference between 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', and 'cabinet' before actually placing it? Like when you hover over the name, you see the image?
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2015, 11:03:49 PM »

Can you add a preview window to the right menu so we can see the difference between 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', and 'cabinet' before actually placing it? Like when you hover over the name, you see the image?

I can indeed! It's actually near the top of my to-do list. I too have trouble distinguishing between 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', 'cabinet', and 'cabinet' when making houses  Smiley

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »

That would be great Grin

Edit:
And while you are at it, sort the list and give each object an unique name (either by giving it a better name, or by adding a number behind it). Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic