Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:21:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Unity 5 Free version gets Pro features
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unity 5 Free version gets Pro features  (Read 1919 times)
StrayCatRock
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »

The free new version of Unity gets most of all previous Pro features (lightnings, image effects, etc.). Regading previous versions, only  the customizable splash screen remains Pro only. Of course, revenues of your games are still royalty-free regardless of your edition.
For more details:
http://unity3d.com/get-unity

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »

Droooool. Now I can play around with all the projection mapping effects. (draw to texture)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »

Oh god I've been looking at vids of Unity 5 and it looks goddamn amazing. The lighting changes are great. Doesn't matter that I'm probably not gonna use it anytime soon, it still makes me feel good to realize that I could make something like that if I put in the effort.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »

I'm porting the latest revision to my lip-sync tool up to Unity 5 right now. It's going to take a while, I won't be done for a few weeks, most likely. But the work has already begun.
Snowstorm
Level 0

It's supposed to be pixel art, but whatever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 05:38:51 AM »

Wasn't Unity already like this? I ask because I don't think this changes anything...

Craig
Snowstorm
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:09 AM »

Full screen effects and render to texture finally in the free version! Crazy

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 05:50:47 AM »

I started using Unity5 tonight, so far it's only done bad things to my existing Unity4 project.
The anim controller (mecanim) stuff doesn't translate to the new version, so I need to rebuild those.
There's a bunch of other small things it broke, annoying...

Full screen effects and render to texture finally in the free version! Crazy

This would have been exciting to me, but I'd been working in pro unity 4 with access to this stuff for quite a while already

k3rmit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 05:53:08 AM »

Wasn't Unity already like this? I ask because I don't think this changes anything...

Free version was stripped from a lot of features (post-processing, render to texture etc.)

But best feature of all, available now for everyone is the Profiler  Kiss
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »

The anim controller (mecanim) stuff doesn't translate to the new version, so I need to rebuild those.
There's a bunch of other small things it broke, annoying...

Oh god no, I spent countless hours struggling with mecanim to make all transitions and movements work the way I wanted them to...

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 06:29:02 AM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2xw9hy/unity_5_collects_data_from_people_playing_your/

According to reddit, most credible source I know, Unity automatically collects data from people's devices? I personally don't care about this stuff, but I'm guessing it's going to rile up internet privacy activists.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
jay43k
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »

I updated my small project to 5 yesterday, it converted a couple scripts that weren't even mine and I was good to go.  Pretty cool, and I can finally check out the Profiler.  I'm using a 3rd party 2D plugin and I may be able to switch off it since I can use the Unity sprite packer now. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2xw9hy/unity_5_collects_data_from_people_playing_your/

According to reddit, most credible source I know, Unity automatically collects data from people's devices? I personally don't care about this stuff, but I'm guessing it's going to rile up internet privacy activists.

I can't see why that would be a factor in what engine an indie is choosing, at all.  Unity having an idea of what hardware is being used is a good thing.

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »

Brace yourselves for the onslaught of poorly coded games with bad assets but really nice effects and shaders
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »

This isn't new to Unity 5. Unity 4 had an option "send analytic data to Unity" which is on by default. I almost didn't notice it.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »

From what I've seen so far the new audio features are great, (have yet to try them out Cry) should make it easier to design dynamic audio within the Unity editor without having to use middleware such as FMOD which is a nice option to have!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »

Those are some nice features indeed. No use for them in Computer Virus Simulator (which updated flawlessly aside from some physics mishaps which I happily worked around), but maybe in future project?

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 01:18:53 AM »

Welp, upgrading to 5 completely messed up the physics of my 2D game too, so it's not just the 3D physics. Good to know.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic