Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:18:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFive Nights At Freddy's 3
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Five Nights At Freddy's 3  (Read 2764 times)
gamepopper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »

So this is a surprise, Scott Cawthon's third entry into the Five Nights At Freddy's series is on Steam right now.

You can get the game here.

Have any of you played it yet? What are your thoughts on this one? Personally I've watched a few playthroughs and it looks vastly different from the last games, both gameplay and visual style, and jumpscares are still a plenty.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »

Five night at Freddy game series don't get enough attention at how tight the design is, it's a master class in interactive pacing and anticipation, I haven't look at the 3rd yet. Also the way it handle storytelling with attention to details is ace.

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »

I haven't played them yet but
how
how can they get a game ready in less than 6 months

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »

The game itself is rather simple and don't overstay their welcome, it's simple and effective. aka a lesson in TIGHTNESS. The thing is that the content of one traditional game vastly outdo any Five night of freddy in complexity. It's after all just a bunch of static screen and some animation tied together, but it is put to great use and don't feel super cheap.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »

I'm so happy that it moves back to the first game's style of elegantly concealing the movement of the animatronics. The second game is fantastic but I felt like seeing them just standing around when they were close made things a little less scary than they could have been otherwise. I think, in turn, it makes things feel more alive and that less suspension of disbelief is required.

Also, today I learned the original Five Nights at Freddy's had a Kickstarter campaign that no one paid attention to. Look, zero dollars... that's so crazy to look at in retrospect. The FNAF games are absolutely tight, as Gimmy says, I'm really happy they found such a big audience.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »

I'm so happy that it moves back to the first game's style of elegantly concealing the movement of the animatronics. The second game is fantastic but I felt like seeing them just standing around when they were close made things a little less scary than they could have been otherwise. I think, in turn, it makes things feel more alive and that less suspension of disbelief is required.

Also, today I learned the original Five Nights at Freddy's had a Kickstarter campaign that no one paid attention to. Look, zero dollars... that's so crazy to look at in retrospect. The FNAF games are absolutely tight, as Gimmy says, I'm really happy they found such a big audience.
That's crazy, I had no idea it had a kickstarter Shocked

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »

I love how Scott fleshes out the story in these games!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
MrBones
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of the series but the third is by far the best of the series mechanically.
I think the way he tells the story is cool, albeit a bit convoluted.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:17:40 PM »

another legacy of flan please

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »

It is fitting that Five Nights is getting as many sequels as horror movies do. I love that there is a new horror series and that it's actually GOOD.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »

It is fitting that Five Nights is getting as many sequels as horror movies do. I love that there is a new horror series and that it's actually GOOD.
Does this mean there will be a reboot by Rob Zombie soon
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »

another legacy of flan please

wait wait wait the five nights at freddys guy is the legacy of flan guy? i didnt know that! :o

that robot rpg he made was also pretty nice
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »

From the “Good ending” of the Game, it looks like the plot's pretty wrapped up, so I wonder if this is the end?  Also, I love the way the lore is told in-game. FNaF has always been good at developing strong atmosphere.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »

It's one of those narrative game that will go through the crack because it's not like hipster thingy nor AAA stuff

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »

what? its super popular lol
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »

I mean in a critical sense, it won't be analyzed as thoroughly than a gone home because theme (murder mystery with horror) and presentation (creepy cute), people will focus on "jump scare aren't scary" when the whole game is about attention and anticipation, the self regulated pacing both by system and player is a master class, the way use the mechanics of survival to tell it's story is brilliant too, basically what you pay attention to for survival is also a direction to attention to hint of the mystery, it's different than a dark souls or amnesia in the story is the setting and background around mechanics, here the delivery of mechanics and the narration is one and the same, it's one step beyond those game. It's like a metroid prime game without shooting and scanning is the primary way to defeat enemy, if you want a better analogy.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »

ohhhhh i get it. to be honest, ive kinda ignored the game so far because it looked like a typical youtuber bait horror game to me.  Embarrassed

i actually sort of want to play it now, but im squeamish about horror stuff :/
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 04:56:00 AM »

@Silbereisen: you might like to know there's not really anything brutal in the games. there's slight gore in the first game at the game over screen and an animatronic in the third game with gory implications although it's never really doted on. Scott was really tasteful, basically all of the violence is simply implied, never shown. The horror is all in the dread and tension (not the jump scares although those are pretty good payoffs when you fuck up) rather than ever trying to go the gorror route for any cheap shocks. It's one of my favorite things about the series.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »

It's more "creepy cute" than horror, there is a discomfort that came from the whole juxtaposition of cute innocent things that do horrible stuff for "cute" reason with an uncanny valley aesthetics, while the world itself doesn't really acknowledge something bizarre is going on, you obviously do, so it add a huge atmosphere of mystery that lead you subtly toward the narrative hints and realization. It's less scary that it is creepy. In a sort it's darksouls for kid.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »

I really like his games, after playing FNAF I went through all his non "gambler" games; it's interesting to see how his style has evolved, FNAF seems like a logical progression.

I haven't played them yet but
how
how can they get a game ready in less than 6 months

Lots of planning up front, a lot of the code will be re-usable, the theme is already down and I imagine a tonne of the ideas have been carried forward from developing the first 2 games.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic