Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:58:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTigSource Musical Challenge XXXVIII - VOTING!
Poll
Question: Which entry should win the challenge?  (Voting closed: March 14, 2015, 06:13:02 PM)
Leave by The Translocator - 0 (0%)
Sunlight Sanctuary by rofklaw - 2 (20%)
TIGSource Respite by Homicide_Monkey - 5 (50%)
Departing by ArnoldSavary - 3 (30%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TigSource Musical Challenge XXXVIII - VOTING!  (Read 915 times)
qwercus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »

Thank you to everyone who entered! Now it's time to vote. For a review of the rules and theme, click here! Since there were only four entries and they all followed the rules, I've included all of them in the poll.

Feedback

Please take all of this – both compliments and critiques – with a grain of salt. Just assume that I have no idea what I’m talking about, which may not be far from the truth.

In order of submission:

Leave by The Translocator

This piece has a lot of energy! There are many different sections, and whenever a section is repeated, it's never exactly the same as it was before, which is great. Above all, my favorite aspect has to be the polyphony - in multiple places, there are two complementing melodies playing at the same time. Overall, this piece is bursting with creativity. The 8-bit sound was an interesting choice, though I would say the timbre sounds a bit rough/raw. Perhaps some more variety in the chiptune sounds and some effects could make it sound more complete. And for the theme, I’m not exactly sure how well describes a safe zone. I had in mind something that expresses peace or relief, while this piece seems to express joy and excitement.

Sunlight Sanctuary by rofklaw

I like how this piece switches back and forth between being open/mysterious (low strings and harp) and being full/relaxed (higher strings and drumbeat). Really liked the percussion. I can definitely imagine being in a safe, sunlit sanctuary while listening to it, so I think you did a great job interpreting the theme.  I only have a couple small critiques: some transitions between sections are abrupt (though perhaps that was intentional) and I thought that the high strings at 2:05 could have been a little clearer (less attack/release).

TIGSource Respite by Homicide_Monkey

What a great melody! I would say you’ve captured the idea of peace and relief very well with this piece. The instruments complimented each other very well, both in timbre and harmony, and evoked thoughts of heaven (flute, harp, choir), which is great considering the theme. (What could be more relieving than finding yourself in heaven?)  The build was nice as well. When the snare starts, there’s really a sense of quiet victory, as if it’s become clear that the character now has the strength he/she needs to succeed. Which, to me, would be a great relief.  I honestly can’t think of anything to nitpick. Great job!

Departing by ArnoldSavary

What a powerful piece! The grittiness and slow/strong chord progression suggest a powerful and crucial moment in a storyline. So listening with the theme in mind, I can imagine a sort of bittersweet relief: a character at the end of his/her rope finds circumstances finally shifting in his/her favor, but at a heavy cost. As far as composition goes, I think this piece was very well put together. It’s very powerful and evokes strong emotions. And I personally loved the noise and distortion. I wish I had some criticisms, but I’m drawing a blank.

I make ♫♪
soundcloud | twitter
qwercus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:24:15 AM »

The voting closed yesterday, and it looks like the winner is Homicide_Monkey! Congratulations!  Grin

I make ♫♪
soundcloud | twitter
Homicide_Monkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

Awesome! Thanks to everyone who voted and participated. I love seeing what kinds of music people write for these little challenges.

@HomicideMonkey<br /><br /><br />\"La Li Lu Le Lo\"
Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:26:36 AM »

Homicide_Monkey, do you know you are next hosting the challenge? Smiley

Homicide_Monkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:20 PM »

Awesome!! I'll have to think of a really good theme for it.

@HomicideMonkey<br /><br /><br />\"La Li Lu Le Lo\"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic