Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:59:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBloxus
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bloxus  (Read 2102 times)
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »

Bloxus is a casual puzzle game.

Simply swipe the coloured tiles around the board and look for a pattern: where four corners
share the same colour. Tap any of these corners to score. You only have ten seconds to find
the next pattern before it's game over.

Combined with calming music and sound, this game is easy to pick up to pass some time.

This game was a simple idea I had that I decided to try out as a small hobby project. It's nothing too
fancy, but it seemed like something that could distract someone for a few minutes. I hope you enjoy it! Smiley

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:20:32 AM by Osteel » Logged
Tiblanc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:20:02 AM »

Looks good! Feels simple and deep enough for proper time wasting on the bus.
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »

Added in basic scoring. I wanted it to just count how many blox the player destroyed, but that sort of breaks the need to make bigger patterns. Not sure about that, but I'll leave it for now.

Also, I need an artist. Any experienced-in-mobile vector artists want to be my friend? Smiley

ByDreamm
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »

What language are you using??
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »

I'm making the game in Unity (2D) and C#. Smiley

I haven't done much today. I started implementing a proper scoring system as I felt like just counting the number of blox the player destroyed would negate the need to make bigger patterns. I'll add a multiplier in as well to make finding patterns, quicker, an incentive.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:38:30 PM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »

I started implementing the backend stuff for scoring. Basically, I want to show both the number of blocks the player has destroyed in the session and also have a score system (multipliers, etc.) which gives a purpose to creating bigger patterns.

For this test, I just set a 2x multiplier and nothing else. Eventually it'll account for matching colours, size and stuff to give you an even bigger score.

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »

NEW ART STYLE.

I have a friend on board making making the art for the game. In the meantime, I've begun adding the game states so that I can easily transition between menus, gameplay, game over, etc. Here's what it looks like now (still a work in progress):

THERE'S A BUG IN THE SECOND GIF!  Cry
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »

So people were getting confused what the two score values were. One (left) tracks how many blox you have destroyed in total and the other (right) shows your current score. Because the score is calculated in a more complicated way than 1:1, we had to show both.

Anyway, hopefully this helps visualize what's happening:

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 05:27:16 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just writing about a quick update for this little project. The game is almost ready to go - the flow mechanics are pretty much done and so is saving and what not. What's left to do is just some small things like settings, and mobile integration. I hope to do some social integration as well (Facebook/Twitter score posting).

Also, the art is placeholder as it still needs to be figured out. Music and sound will be coming too!

Please let me know what you think:

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »

Didn't accomplish too much today. I added the new buttons (not functional yet) to the game flow. Smiley

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »

Bloxus now saves your highest score and presents it to you on the main menu. I'm going to change how it flows so it's a bit more polished, but here it is anyway:

I'm also looking for a 2D artist to help me skin this thing. Let me know if you're interested. <3

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »

Hi guys!

So I had sort of given up on this project, since I became really busy with Chopper Strike. However, I decided this last week to just get it over and done with, so I present to you the final version of Bloxus!

You can get it on Google Play here, and I hope you'll find a few minutes enjoyment from it. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic