Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:20:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorials"Unity For Beginners" tutorials like Derek Yu's Game Maker ones?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Unity For Beginners" tutorials like Derek Yu's Game Maker ones?  (Read 3493 times)
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »

After trying to jump into Game Maker, Yu's tutorials really helped me out more than anything else I've used. Are there any comparable "Unity for beginners" tutorials out there, or even in here? Looking through some of the pages in Tutorials, I mostly see contextual tutorials, like particle effects, and 2D stuff. I definitely want 3D over 2D, and definitely need to learn from the ground up.

StrayCatRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »

There is a good bunch of complete projects tutorials on Unity official site (not in written form though) which are understandable for the common mortal:
http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

I will just point out that the roll-a-ball/space shooter/stealth tuts were done before Unity 4.6 and its new GUI system, so you might wanna check out how it works otherwise you'll get stuck at some point:
http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/ui

Understanding some C# basics (like variable and class) is a plus.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »

I'm an idiot, so I don't know how useful this is but ChevyRay runs Unity Patterns. Looks like it might have some helpful stuff.

jhocking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »

definitely need to learn from the ground up.

Depends what "ground up" means to you. Do you already know any programming?

-Joe Hocking | newArteest
Intro book for programmers: Unity in Action
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »

Depends what "ground up" means to you. Do you already know any programming?

I posted this a while back. I'm now pretty good with Game Maker programming, but not much else. I don't think I'm going to understand a lot of terms that somebody more experienced with "real" programming might get. But as for more basic concepts - data structures, variables, etc - I think I'll be all right. Hope that answers the question to your satisfaction.

jhocking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

Yeah that's pretty much what I was wondering. I'm not familiar with Derek Yu's tutorials so I can't help with a direct comparison. However, for someone who already knows how to program (just not in Unity) then my book Unity in Action is a great way to get up to speed in Unity. The sample projects in the Learn section of Unity's website also work well for most people, have you tried watching those?

-Joe Hocking | newArteest
Intro book for programmers: Unity in Action
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic