Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:41:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralcan you illegally download clothes?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: can you illegally download clothes?  (Read 3321 times)
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »

exactable:

I wish I could illegally download clothes

u can do this for patterns (the same (lets say big five) clothing patterns companies been selling the same schlock for generations, they call it ‘vintage’ now but its the same product.) but not for commodities and labor. soft goods are hard to print and you’re still gonna have to pay for it somewhere (see: laws of conservation of energy, matter) but i promise you there are people working on these problems. revisit this wish in 2020. we’ll have good domestic robot looms by 2025. but um at what cost? will they put every seamstress out of business? will they turn evil and do us harm? what if they start printing ropes with which to bind and strangle us? these are the questions we must ask. in my impact of IT course they like to talk about moore's law but not its implications (clarke's laws, asimov's, niven's, poe's etc). science fiction.
#its hard to stop the robots from doing the math on their own subjugation
#looms are calculators, they know arithmetic and they know patterns

follow @metalgret on tumblr for more hard science on soft goods and subjugation.

(terry pratchett's brain is falling apart so i have to talk to shit nerds about this shit. do not send me your pithy one-liners i have heard them already. at least try to match me.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:48:14 AM by tok » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:16 AM »

i posted this same thing in the mancrib but it'll get more eyeballs here:

Quote from: me talking about lou bega
i'm pretty sure he's talking about some kinda frankenstein he's building using bits of flesh, bone, blood and ash he stole from the various women in various ports around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_25_singles_for_1999_in_Australia
i remember this year well, im 27, so im an old person. everyone was afraid the world was gonna end. so like: when i was a 13 year old like you guys, this is what music was cool... if y2k had happened like we were told, lou bega would hve been th high point for western culture. this is what would have been playing in all the fallout vaults.

but um... im at uni again, in this year, the year of our lord 2k15, and noone, even in the IT business, has even heard of Y2k until they get to hear about it in the sci fi ethics epics class, IMPACT OF IT (which has taught us so far about moore's law and alan turing, which we need to talk about acceleration and the economics of computer science, but nothing so far about murphy's law and nikola tesla, and we'll need those if we're to meet the robots when they rise to meet us. and they've had three weeks to do it already, so what's the fucking point? giving them the benefit of the doubt, tehy'll probably at least talk about the laws of robotics when they teach us about robots in another several weeks time, and they'll have to talk about tesla when they begin to talk about elon musk... but it's too slow. wwhat if the robots rose up yesterday? they're not preparing these kids for the imminent robot wars).

(im trying to do the math on fallout and i can't figure out how its the 1950s in the 2050s. when fallout 3 came out there was a lot of hullabaloo about how the timeline doesnt make sense anymore, but i dont think the fallout setting has ever once been reconcilable with our own timeline. but whatever, this much-more-logical wasteland i'm proposing where all the computers went haywire because they overflowed the latest-possible-time, which IS ILLOGICAL AND THEREFORE MEANS THAT HUMANS CAN NO LONGER BE ALLOWED IN CHARGE, those robots listen to lou bega.

it's 2015 right now and we're in the middle of a new 80s, not a new 50s. let's hope a new 90s comes next, i could use some good cyberpunks, and it's been 9/11 for about 15 years now. all the best terrorists are dead. let's tear down this wall and get hella freaky like in that movie 'we live in public' for a while before the next lot of them comes in here and wrecks everything up again.

if it ws gonna be the 1950s again, the escapist would be doing better than they are doing but everybody's jumping ship or getting maroon-5d over there. yahtzee's the best guy they got left, and we don't need 2 such men. i'll interview him sometime (he lives in brisbane) if i get the chance to go to another BIG DEV MEETUP before iget choked to death in my sleep by a traitorous autoloom.

so um, what questions should i ask yahtzee when i interview him?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:01:42 AM by tok » Logged
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »

Yo bae you better call poison control cause these pythons on birth control

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:28:11 AM »

PY? is that an important sigit? are you just messing with me? i don't understand what you are saying my good man  Gentleman
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:02:00 AM »

A little bit of Sandra after the fall

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »

I don't know what that means...

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »

Lou Bega...
Lou Bega never changes...

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

Actually, Lou Bega changed his Facebook profile picture just 5 days ago.

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »

Actually, Lou Bega changed his Facebook profile picture just 5 days ago.

fuck youfuck youfuck youfuck youfuck you

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »

That was beautiful. I regret nothing.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »

It's been ruled that you can't copyright a style of clothing/apparel, which is why low-end knock-offs can exist and sell without repercussion. So I imagine "downloading" a copy of clothing would be legal save for the brand-name.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:43:06 AM »

YOU GUYS
UM.
anyway lou bega wasnt a one hit wonder or anything i was in the supermarket today and there was a one ofthose lou bega songs on. one of the other ones. so what i mean is he had at least three hits. im not a lou bega fan or anythign but how many hits have you made, anti lou bega jokers. pretty sure the whole soundtrack can be lou bega but we also have all those quality hits of 1999 to work with.

the other thing is i dont really care abotu whether its legal lets talk about how to prevent the robot uprising. it is already happening. go you your place of business and wonder if it is controlled by the mostly-normal people working there, or some strange rogue ai. its not gonna look like what you think its gonna.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 02:38:26 AM »

It's been ruled that you can't copyright a style of clothing/apparel, which is why low-end knock-offs can exist and sell without repercussion. So I imagine "downloading" a copy of clothing would be legal save for the brand-name.

can you copyright stuff like patterns or pictures on clothing? in other words, is my ironic acid wash wolf tshirt protected by copyright law?

anyway, if (and that's a big if) affordable consumer level robotic looms ever become a thing i could see the fashion industry lobbying to change copyright laws everywhere to include clothing.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 03:40:21 AM »

I have never heard, or heard of, a Lou Bega song other than Mambo no. 5.

He seems to be telling us something. Something about the upcoming y2k crisis. Note how he tries to catch our attention.

"THE TRUMPET!"

I don't think he's just presenting an instrument of the song. He's frightened. This was probably never meant to be an actual part of the song. Something was going on. And he died and made no other songs which is why I (we) only know about the fifth mambo.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

ok, i can tell you what little i know about the other mambos.

'tricky tricky' is a parable about difficulty. lou bega loves a woman he can get, but what he really loves is a woman he can't quite get.

'i got a girl' is, as i mentioned elsewhere, bega's account of all the small parts of women he steals. bega plays a sailor who is faithful to exactly one girl in each port. but he's building a sort of metagirl with the parts they leave in him.

'she tastes like cola' is a love affair with a girl who, in a real sense, actually is the coca cola corporation. austere, impenetrable, sweet. and classic. she don't need to change and she don't need to slim down, because she is the product we deserve already. a condemnamtion of pepsi, of fanta (and the nazi youth), of new coke, of change, and of the little guy.

??!?? im not sure. whats the other mambo? how can we know which mambos are canon and which are apocryphal? especially if we havnet even heard them yet. we will have to do our own research. maybe the fourth mambo does not exist because we have not written it yet.

lou bega is a world traveller, an indomitable multiwomanist, a romeo and a poet but not a true engineer: a man of mixed ancestry. ugandan, italian, german. the classic three styles of latin brass electro-pop.  artifice, estrangement, and longing-for-a-simpler-time. more than just a clone of perez, because he's adding stuff. a hybrid. people used to want this, you could ride a hybrid to the top of the charts in 1999.

can you copyright stuff like patterns or pictures on clothing? in other words, is my ironic acid wash wolf tshirt protected by copyright law?

anyway, if (and that's a big if) affordable consumer level robotic looms ever become a thing i could see the fashion industry lobbying to change copyright laws everywhere to include clothing.

idk man if this is possible then the games companies would be able to do it now. like you can't copyright the idea of being an angry birds, otherwise angry birds itself would not exist and everybody'd be writing love letters to Joey Betz and Chris "ConArtist" Condon.

so what does angry birds do that other games do not do well? it markets itself. sells toys. puts is name and face on every other product. appropriates, colonises every space for the angry birds agenda, and not for those filthy green pigs in their castles of flimsy stone. shoots itself into your house. gets in your head liek a beat you have to march to. sets pace. but its a latin pace, maybe a little faster than we like.

the weakness of copyright is good for us though, thats our bread and butter. all of us steal, all of us pretend not to. noone even remembers how to do it right though, and we're teaching all these values to our robot childs, whether we know it or not. we gotta break the cycle, steal stranger goods from outside our comfort zones, if we want new ideas. we can steal coke, but lets steal also drinks that are not just-coke. not just one coke but all cokes. maybe a scotch and coke. we don't need to make games that are lies for children, we can make lies for adults too. lou bega is a message for the every-nerd. thats how you climb the charts. lets have hybrids and electricks and alternative fuel sources, not just dinosaurs. what about the self driving car? you have approximately 10 years to figure out how to make enough money to survibe when the machines go wild. 10 years? we just don't know. they might have done it fifteen years ago.

we need the 11-9 to counter 9-11. lets get back to getting freaky with games, and not worrying about getting them through customs. you dont have to carry a physical copy of the game these days anyway, its all virtual these days. the archive is too long and we don't read it. hows the cop even gonna know where to look?

anyway. long live terry pratchett. he was the king of all this stuff. go read a book or something, all you ephemero-punks. be metaromancers instead of heteromancers, its a stronger model. more parings is good because more is more. triads are good because a strongly interconnected triad will support itself. you can't flip over the pyramid. triangles are unstoppable.

ptoing and helm helped a bit with this one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:08:40 PM by tok » Logged
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:09:56 PM »

oh cool it's another one of these topics.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:29:14 AM »

jono you can bump this thread if you want to but if you must do it try to actually say a thing, otherwise its been dead a week, so you're actually the problem for making it relevant again.

so like: are you just here to disapprove, or what?

( i sure hope nobody tries to discuss anything on these forums so we can go back to posting shitty tweets to each other )
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »

Oh wow it was dead for like 4 days, I didn't see that. There's really not that many active topics in the general section as opposed to something like the devlog section.

I was too young to remember much about 1999, but I do remember mambo no. 5 being a popular song along with a whole bunch of other garbage on that top 25 list. I'm surprised at the amount of songs on that list that I remember actually or have heard of since then.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »

old technologies don't really go away is the thing, they hang round forever and we can still use them if we like. so mambo is kind of a goofy example (it's been goofy the whole time; it was goofy when i was 13, all the songs were goofy at the time. everything was some kind disco euro pop on the cusp of this new era, this being the music we were sure we would need) but um - we can still use them, this is something i keep saying.

so what im trying to get at with talking about the robots is that we (by which i mean, human companies) can almost but not quite afford to get rid of human agents and replace them with much cheaper robot versions. like, technology services instead of the traditional people based services. we've been doing this a long time.

my go-to examples would be:
-the train cards that they make you use (in my city, and i think everywhere) in order to buy digital tickets (my city is not an early adopter in fact they usually move backwards, creating unique and terrible thought technologies no-one actually needs, new and exciting ways to fuck over the citizen)

-uber, the service that replaces taxis with crowdsource, putting taxi drivers out of business and perhaps forcing them to become uber drivers, and then the self-driving car, which will replace uber in less than ten years, is my guess. the self driving car will put anyone who drives for a living out of business.

-the autotellers they use at most supermarkets. you know where they outsource the job they used to pay a poor person to do; now they get the customer to negotiate with the robot instead, at no added cost. they ask you to pay for shopping bags these days though, like you can still get the shit ones for free but if you want the good ones they want you to shell out cash. this is because they hate the customer.

-the autolooms im proposing, which would put all those third-world seamstressess in sweatshops in china and bangaladesh out of jobs.

-nobody has to pay for art anymore, you can get a cheap-as-free guy on deviantart to do it, or you can just steal, or you can design a robot that creates infinite arts. like: http://strangethink.itch.io/secret-habitat

i actually like these new technologies, they're cool, but we could use them to do good or to do evil, and evil is more sound, economically speaking. this is the economics that starves people (of money, thus of food, thus killing them) and it's the economics that we cannot opt out of. if one company doesnt go for it, the other company will. so we need to plan ahead unless we want a huge human extinction, and soon. i might seem like an end-is-nigh duder but all of this is rich subject matter for scifi and fantasy and if i recall correctly everybody is still super enamored of these kinds of stories in games. so its good to discuss it i think.

something i keep saying about information technology and computer science is that we're collapsing two different-but-related fields when we talk about it this way: information science (the new software ideas, which is slow, increases linearly) and computer technology (the new hardware ideas, which is fast and increases exponentially).

if we take this as true, we can see that all of us idea people are gonna be outperformed by robots. we could pay a smart guy to solve a new problem once, or we could get a robot in, removing the problem forever, and never pay anyone except for maybe the guy who fixes the robot (who could also be replaced with a robot). the only reason any job in IT exists (system architect and system admin for example) is because we decided it would be important to have this incredibly arcane field that noone understands and then pay a guy to understand it and design solutions as needed. system architect, get that guy in when you buy a heap of new tech, to hook it up properly, then system admin, he's a shittier version of the same guy you can keep on staff because you need a guy to fix it when it goes down and it'd be expensive to get the architect in all the time, the admin works for less money. we could replace both of these guys with robots though.

what does that have to do with y2k? y2k is a bunch of fear-mongering bullshit made up to create IT jobs. but if it had been real, where would we be now? what kind of post apocalypse would we live in where we let the robots destroy us all so easily?

and what does that have to do with lou bega? well lou bega is sort of a prophet for an old way of thinking, where

-girls are a dime a dozen
-girls are products
-girls are easily manipulated
-it is fun and heroic to think these things

and none of these things are true in our 2015, we should not even wish for them to be true, probably. and they would not be true in the wasteland of a 2015 decimated by robots 15 years earlier. where would you even find a girl? so it's kinda poetic even though it be eurotrash pop. lots of people bought it. but the culture went a different way. but those people are still around. and you still hear these dumb songs playing in the supermarket. the supermarket is another dumb idea that we cling to, even though it no longer serves us.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:20:21 PM by tok » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »

the self driving car will put anyone who drives for a living out of business.
dum nobody gona risk their life in a selfdriving car

– "actually selfdriving car safer than hooman driver"

it dont matter yo ppl wont trust that nobody gonna ride selfdribingg car

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic