Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:51:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralcan you illegally download clothes?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: can you illegally download clothes?  (Read 3292 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »

ok, but is this really a new phenomenon? there are lots of jobs that have either gone extinct because they were not needed anymore or have become niche professions. and its obvious that manual labor will eventually be phased out with the course technology is taking.

of course, on a human level and in the "short" term it's sad that this process puts people out of work but luddism is not the answer, even if its easy to empathize with. also technological innovations are a pandora's box, especially in this day and age since we've become so good at archiving. i can't imagine anything like medieval europeans "forgetting" how to build paved roads like the romans happening now.

in the long term manual labor being phased out could lead to a better society where not everyone HAS to work (imagine that!) and people's worth would not be measured by whether they're a good cog in a machine. labor is valuable because of what it produces, it has 0 value in and of itself.

you're saying we can't opt out of the economics, but why? of course capitalism is going to try hard to sustain itself (as every system does) and to convince everyone that it's still necessary and relevant. but what if it fails at that? you can't uphold an illusion forever. idk, am i being overly optimistic or naive or even utopian? no one can predict the future and we're obv talking about things that will probably take another couple decades to happen at least (IF they do happen).
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »

theres all kinds of technologies that we use even though they be hella dangerous, they are useful. like, um, cars, planes, mining machines, guns, all that shit - all these are neutral unfeeling technologies and it matters what we think about them - to what uses we are allowed to put them.

i should say that im not a luddite, im probably gonna go into the robot business if i can swing it that way. or you know, video games, some related field. what do you do if you want to also have a job in ten years?

its not a new thing but its speeding up. exponentially. valve for example is in a period of exponential growth, in the size of their customer base. for how long? theres no way to guess for how long. all we know is its been exponential so far.

as far as forgetting things - in games, we have forgotten how to make all the games we dont make anymore. bethesda is the only company that makes bethesdas and the sims corporation is the only company that makes the sims? why? these games'd make money. in the many years between one bethesda and the next, someone else could sell one. this might even incentivise bethesda to not be as-shit-as-they-are and more-like-what-we-want.

silb, if what youre saying is we should get rid of money and all become filthy communists, i agree with you. as an unemployed person who is too clever to work minimum wage, i agree with you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:53:39 PM by tok » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »

the self driving car will put anyone who drives for a living out of business.
dum nobody gona risk their life in a selfdriving car

Note, this is not my position but those of experts working in this field. The concept of deep learning seems to be an interesting one. It can probably be used for A.I. in interesting games to some extent.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »

Note, this is not my position but those of experts working in this field. The concept of deep learning seems to be an interesting one. It can probably be used for A.I. in interesting games to some extent.

ugh this is a good reply but im gonna have to decompress it in order to respond. you guys are sick of my long responses anyway.

@prin youre talkign about buggy whips: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/buggy+whip

like yeah people prefer horses to these new infernal gasoline engines that spook the horses. but actually they dont anymore. keeping a horse seems like a lot of fucking effort. the only commercial use for whips these days is sexual perversion - thats the only thing keeping the fine handmade leathergoods manufacturer in business.

i think i agree with elon on all this shit. he says it'll be 20 years not 10, i think we can take his word for this, he's probably thought about it more than me. but thats 20 years for the slowest guy. the industry stuff will happen really fast, for the low-hanging solutions. those guys all have to compete with each other. compare the most low-end car you can find that's manufactured in the last 10 years to one from 1960: it might not be a self-driving electric car. but it's more self driving. and it's more electric. it's all going that way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:16:31 PM by tok » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »

– "actually selfdriving car safer than hooman driver"

it dont matter yo ppl wont trust that nobody gonna ride selfdribingg car
dum this is the kind of quote future people will laugh at. horses are way safer than human drivers too (as noted by dinosaur comics if you fall asleep at the wheel you die, if you fall asleep riding in a horse cart you'll wake up at home, or worst case in a forest or something)

human bodies can't take velocities exceeding 70 kmph stop inventing transportation!
sparks from trains will cause field fires everywhere stop building rails it'll never work!
640k ought to be enough for anybody!

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »

it'll be 20 years not 10, i think we can take his word for this
He meant it will take 20 years to replace all the conventional cars once the self-driving cars are ready to be mass produced. When that happens is unknown.

to sum up the vid: "in distant future you will be considered an outlaw for driving cars manually because it's unsafe"

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »

well all the tech is there, we just need the marketing and the legal framework. otherwise: the japanese could probably start manufacturing them next year if they want to (toyota or mitsubishi, or maybe the germans, whoever still manufactures cars in bulk for regular type people). i think they'd sell heaps of them. thats all that matters. the other thing is google could make a thousand-dollar kit that turns a regular car into a self-driving car, and you could get your local google-brand mechanic to install it for you for like another 500.

just needs to be street-legal. which means we need faster lawyers, marketers who understand the benefits of the tech. all this is being taught at universities this year (i can vouch for qut, because im at that institution), because they know which way the wind is blowing. qut students end up everywhere in the world, but it wont be just-qut. the reason they have to teach it to me is because they have to teach it everwhere. queensland's definitely not an early adopter for new technologies.

so: can you print wahtever clothes you want for free or nearly free? soon you will be able to. but what about games? can you remove the developer there as well? soft goods are hard to print. but you will be able to.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:48:21 PM by tok » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 04:28:36 AM »

– "actually selfdriving car safer than hooman driver"

it dont matter yo ppl wont trust that nobody gonna ride selfdribingg car
dum this is the kind of quote future people will laugh at. horses are way safer than human drivers too (as noted by dinosaur comics if you fall asleep at the wheel you die, if you fall asleep riding in a horse cart you'll wake up at home, or worst case in a forest or something)

human bodies can't take velocities exceeding 70 kmph stop inventing transportation!
sparks from trains will cause field fires everywhere stop building rails it'll never work!
640k ought to be enough for anybody!

hey i didnt say i was against it

i just suspect ppl will be

dllerroar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »

If 3D printing ever becomes dirt cheap you can illegally download a SpaceX Rocket in your basement Noir
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:33:52 AM by dllerroar » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic