Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:33:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLooking to create/join a small team as a hobby !
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking to create/join a small team as a hobby !  (Read 1066 times)
Ulydev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2015, 01:10:38 AM »

Hello, dear developers.

I'm encountering a huge problem, which makes developing games really hard for me. That's why I'd like to talk a bit about myself first.

I started programming when I got my first computer, at the age of 10. At that time, I used to develop on easy software like GameMaker. I then moved on Corona SDK when I wanted to make mobile games : it remained my main SDK for about two years. During this time, I had the chance to develop my first released games and even got some downloads. This has been a really enriching experience for me, as I've always been dreaming about creating my own games when I was younger.
Even though I unfortunately don't know how to draw, I managed to give my games a minimalist look with a focus on gameplay rather than on art. I once tried to draw some pixel art assets for a platformer, but it didn't turn out as expected...

A few months ago, I discovered Löve2D. This Lua framework seemed perfect for me, as Ludum Dare 31 was approaching and it could publish on both desktop and mobile platforms. So, I had to learn it in a week, and it turned out absolutely great ! I had time to develop two small games which got good feedback from gamers. The first one, Swotch, even got in the Top 100 Overall and Top 25 in the Fun category.

I'm pretty much satisfied with how my first game jam entries did, although I would have preferred to work in team, with artists and/or composers.
Speaking of teamwork : this is my biggest weakness so far. I've never had the chance to work with other developers.
In my school, nobody gives a damn about computer science. I know a lot of developers look for other motivated people in order to work together combining their skills, yet it is only now that I realise how depressing it is not to find anyone to talk with about things that give you chills, that make you live, that you're passionate about.
This is exactly what I'm feeling right now. I wake up every morning thinking about how terrible this day is going to be. I'm never sharing my passion with anyone, keeping everything for myself without having the opportunity to discuss about it.

I've had this feeling ever since I discovered programming, but never dared to talk about it as I knew I would meet another developer someday.
Now that I've finally decided to experiment 3D with Unity -a long-time wish-, I just can't handle it anymore. The amount of work needed to develop a 3D game is huge, and because of school, I just don't have time to learn modelling, texturing, animations, and all the new concepts that come with 3D. The fact that I can't really draw makes this trouble even more important. I'm... totally stuck. I could use assets from the Asset Store, for sure, but the real goal for me is to work with someone in order to develop a unique game, not to download pre-made assets.

This is why I'm asking here for help. I would absolutely love to meet someone who'd be ready to make a small development team as a hobby. I'm 15, yet I always manage to program the mechanics I want in my games. I could certainly handle the programming part, while sharing my game ideas with other people to create original projects. I'm sure this would be a fruitful experience for me, as well as for the other team member(s).

Programmers, artists, composers, talented developers, please contact me if you're interested.

Thank you in advance for reading, and have a nice day. Gentleman
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »

Hey there, Ulydev!
Sounds like you've amassed quite a lot of knowledge and skill for being so young.
Would very much like to see what you've previously made.

I totally get what you're saying about finding someone to share your passion with - It's incredibly hard.
Personally, I can't help you with the programming bit, but I can make some pixelly graphics (added examples).

Could perhaps work with you, as you seem really passionate, and that's what drives a project.

I've recently been working on stuff for an (imagined) RTS, but do you have a particular kind of game in mind?

CraigSnedeker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »

I'm 22 and after my full time job and graphic design job, I don't have a lot of time. But I've been doing game design on and off for 7 years... I'm not the best, but I know a decent amount. Wink I use Blender and Unity. If I can find the time after I move into my new house, I'd love to work on a project as a hobby, it's also a dream of mine to make a game. I'm a huge fan of low-poly and minimalism.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic