Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:03:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAirships: Crossing the Chasm
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Airships: Crossing the Chasm  (Read 1959 times)
Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2015, 03:14:11 AM »

Airships: Conquer the Skies is now in a situation where:

• It's sold about 2000 copies.
  • Reviews and feedback are very positive. (19 positive Steam reviews, no negatives)
  • The one decent-sized (6k views) YT channel that covers it regularly still has people asking for more vids after more than a dozen of them.
  • Any queries to other YT channels about featuring the game get no reply.
  • Queries to gaming websites mostly get no reply, or a promise to cover it that never materializes.

So in startup parlance, it now needs to "cross the chasm" from early adopters to the mainstream. How do I do that? For certain kinds of people, once they actually play it, they love it. But for most people, it clearly reads as... uninteresting? bad? something?

Any thoughts and visceral reactions to the site/trailer/screenshots/general presentation? What would make you go *that's amazing* and hit "buy" frantically? :D

matwek
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:05:39 AM »

Better pixel art.
Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »

Better pixel art.

A straightforward answer. Thank you.  Gentleman

matwek
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »

I was going to write more but then it seemed a bit redundant.

I know it can seem harsh when you bash someone elses art but its always a bit of a turn off for me. Using the retro pixel art style doesn't always mean low rez and limited detail, you can get so much more out of the style if you try.

Personally I think you should be aiming for something like these two examples.
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_Iqmcwpvu2MSse5D1BXSxW4iJV8=/100x0:1180x720/1025x683/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/35138008/STF_van.0.png
http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/collos.png

I actually do freelance Pixel art myself. If you currently have a budget I might be able to help out if you shoot me a PM.

Otherwise the game itself looks like explosive fun.
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:03:36 AM »

I think Matwek is right in some respects, I really like the idea around the game, but have yet to buy it yet as I don't like the visual style enough yet, :\ you lose out on the impulse buys of "oooh this looks cool"

But also I think because your Early Access you won't get anywhere near as many sales because people don't like buying Early Access games. It takes a really cool game to get me to buy an EA game these days, Besiege is the first one I've bought in a loooong time. I've even held off buying the Darkest dungeon which I think looks awesome etc..

Getting your art a bit more polished will help massively with first impressions.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
dhondon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:35:54 AM »

I saw this game in the devlogs a while back, and just loved the concept. But I like the others there didn't like the visual style. I was planing to contact you to offer my services as a game artist(www.shadow-embryo.com), but with a profit share deal ( as I do with projects I belive has potential). Send me a mail if you see a style that you think fits in my portfolio. [email protected]

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic