Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:23:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How to prevent false malware detections
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to prevent false malware detections  (Read 989 times)
fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:36 PM »

After adding online high-score support (simple HTTP REST api) to my PC game, a lot of virus protection tools seem to now think it's malware. Virustotal.com shows a few detections. I posted false detection reports to some of their manufacturers and had the game white-listed for example by Symantec. Still, Chrome shows a warning on download and some virus scanners cause trouble.

I assume the problem is the code that connects to server to send high-scores. Heuristic malware scanners think that its doing something bad. I have been Googling, but haven't found any useful information on how to change my implementation to prevent false detections or at least make them less frequent.

Have others faced a problem like this and how have you dealt with it?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:44:48 AM by fractilegames » Logged

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »

perhaps using ssl would fix some detections.

Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »

I doubt there's a clear way to prevent detection as malware, as that would exactly mean that malware developers can use that to prevent being detected as well.
fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:12:19 PM »

Would signing my executables with a proper commercial code signing certificate prevent false malware detections too? At least it should get rid of Windows (SmartScreen) warnings and possibly help with browser download warnings too.

Snowstorm
Level 0

It's supposed to be pixel art, but whatever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »

Check out this thread: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/252226/signing-a-windows-exe-file

Seems like it has a few solutions.

Craig
Snowstorm
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic