Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:53:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIncentives for Indie Developers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Incentives for Indie Developers  (Read 713 times)
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »

Hey all,

I recently saw that the very successful Kickstarter campaign Halycon 6 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenseto/halcyon-6-starbase-commander) is apart of Square Enix's Indie Collective program. They said:

What’s great about the Square Enix Collective program is that it gives indie developers like us a nice boost in marketing, something that is harder and harder to do as a small team these days.

To be clear, we’re not getting any money from Square Enix. They are purely helping out on the marketing and PR side of things.

So my question is if anyone in the community has experience with doing something like this. I'm also looking to research possible options of who to partner with so if anyone has access to that information that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »

The team behind halcyon is active on TIG and they have a devlog. So I'm sure you could reach out to them for their feedback. Although I'd imagine they're fairly busy managing the campaign at the moment.

As I understand it, Square Enix is taking a cut of the funds raised and is basically just allowing you to use their name for brand recognition and they're sharing it on their (large) social media presence. I'm sure their is some advising on the KS components that occurs before launch. So I see some pretty obvious pro's and con's behind wanting to do something like this BUT I'm sure its case-by-case for whether it's actually a good idea for you. Would be hard to measure the results of marketing yourself and keeping all the funding verses working with them and they take a cut. Of course caveat to that is you need a game that actually generates enough interest from the Collective community to even become eligible. And if you're already generating interest and a following for a cool game idea, do you need the Collective anyway?

To my knowledge, outside of traditional PR firms, Square Enix is the only large publisher doing this although I think Double Fine may also do some similar things but its more of a traditional publisher relationship.

xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »

Yea I've been researching this all day, and the only other programs like this I could find are Team 17s Indie team up, and opengamingalliance.org

And that is an interesting point about interest in your product. Even if there is interest and a community behind your product, is that enough if you are unknown? Or would partnering with these types of services be the only way to prove you are in-fact credible?

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic