Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:28:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralShould I start making a game right away or wait?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Should I start making a game right away or wait?  (Read 1841 times)
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »

I was thinking about making a platformer because I'm kind of into drawing and programming.  I gave pixel art and I came up with this
http://i.imgur.com/z9chvee.png

I think it's decent, but graphics sell games (right?) and honestly this is awful compared to what other people can do.  So should I go ahead and start development or practice pixel art for a year or two then start?  I want to make something actually good.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »

have you ever made a game before?
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »

I mean, for ap computer science.  It was a shit game but a good program.  Not something that I'm proud of or would even imagine other people enjoying.  Otherwise no.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »

Start making games as soon as you can. You won't be better at making games (or art for them, which is what you seem to be more focused on here) until you make games. You can study theory in advance but you will improve much more quickly once you actually start making games. Your abilities will rapidly increase as you make games and art for them. You will get to where you want to be sooner, that way.

A lack of technical graphical prowess does not necessarily mean you will make a game that looks bad, or one that people won't be interested in. You could play to your limitations and make something that's visually elegant even if all you could make were geometric shapes.

Your pixel art is nice, it's more than a lot of people out there can do. Graphics are important but more important than technical quality is how well they work with the game and how well they communicate what they need to. A game can have gorgeous graphics but be really bad if all the hitboxes and masks are off and the animations don't go well with the physics. Animations are a big part in people interpreting the "feel" of a game. Doing these things the right way and learning to make pixel art that optimally fits the kind of game you have in mind only comes with experience of getting out there and trying to do it.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:20:07 AM »

get better at pixel art while you make the games, queue mexican girl

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:28:32 AM »

I mean, for ap computer science.  It was a shit game but a good program.  Not something that I'm proud of or would even imagine other people enjoying.  Otherwise no.

tbh, you should probably just practice art and game development in tandem like mittens says. i also wouldn't worry about selling games at this point. i hate to burst your bubble, but unless you're really, really talented or lucky your first few games will probably suck.

not that you can't try to sell your games, just don't expect big bux  Hand Money Right
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:33:38 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »

I mean, for ap computer science.  It was a shit game but a good program.  Not something that I'm proud of or would even imagine other people enjoying.  Otherwise no.

tbh, you should probably just practice art and game development in tandem like mittens says. i also wouldn't worry about selling games at this point. i hate to burst your bubble, but unless you're really, really talented or lucky your first few games will probably suck.

not that you can't try to sell your games, just don't expect big bux  Hand Money Right

Lolyeah I'm definitely going to make the next big call of duty game with next gen graphics and make lots of money.

But I mean, come on.  If I see a game with amazing pixel art I look into it.  If I see a game with decent pixel art, well... I still look into it because I like pixel art.  But my point is, most people won't look into a game unless the pixel art is good.  I'm half-decent/not that good at pixel art at this point.
Edit: It's not that I want to make "big bux" I definitely want it on steam and whatnot, I just want it to be good.  ANd although being good involves things besides graphics I don't really want to slack and rely on other things to carry the game.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:41:37 AM »

Well, game dev is kind of a slope the way I understand it. First, you make a few freeware games over X years, you gain a certain following and then, if you feel comfortable enough with that, you make your first "big" commercial game which might make some measly amount of profit. Then, depending on how you feel about the success of that game, you can either go back to free or continue to sell games. And if you're persistent in learning the trade and you advertise your games well, you should be reasonably successful.

That's how I understand it at least. And right now, I'm assuming that you're at the stage where you should be making your very first "picking sticks" game.  Hand Any Key Smiley  Hand Joystick

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »

just make it, don't overthink it

and take your time. there's no rush

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »

don't make games, people will just use it as a way to complain about your personal politics.

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 02:31:28 AM »

I agree with what the other person said, Mittens. Why not make a game with the art you currently have. When you have it working basically, do some art. Add it to the game. Repeat. Fix art. Practise art by making art.

That's what I am doing in my game. It has awful awful art, but I am practising and getting better.

I think.

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 04:10:23 AM »

That's how I understand it at least. And right now, I'm assuming that you're at the stage where you should be making your very first "picking sticks" game.  Hand Any Key Smiley  Hand Joystick

Pretty much!   Hand Pencil  Grin Hand Joystick
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 05:23:49 AM »

Well, if you want to get started right away, I recommend using Game Maker: Studio because of it's user friendly interface and relatively robust scripting language (GML, or Game Maker Language). A free version is available on both their website and Steam, and the Pro version is usually 100$, but it is frequently on a 50% discount, so not that expensive. The export modules get pretty costly, but that's something to worry about much later. And in terms of tutorials, many people make a bunch of them in good quality and quantity on YouTube. YoyoGames even provides a documentation for GML, its functions and its variables if you ever get stuck or curious.

Anyways, this might seem like a bit of an info dump/advertisement, but I just really think GM:S is a great tool for beginners. Then again, someone else might recommend Unity or something similar, as I've never used it before.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 05:45:07 AM »

Yeah, nobody's first few games are good. People say that you have to make ten bad games before you start making good ones (although three or four might be more accurate). Just start makin stuff. The sooner you make anything at all, the sooner you make something amazing.

As for engines, yeah, gamemaker is a great place to start. It's where I started. Depending on how much programming experience you've had (at least APCS, it sounds like), you might want to try out unity soon - but honestly, use gamemaker first. It's very easy to get into, and it has a surprising amount of depth. I think almost all of Vlambeer's games were made in gamemaker.

JWK5
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »

Keep fucking everything up until you finally don't.
sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 08:08:07 AM »

^ yes exactly

gwartney21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »

As others had said the best thing you can do is just start it. Im working on a game my self and at first my art sucked and as I started working at it more and more i started to see it improve. It just takes time and the only way it will happen is to just do it.

My name is Alex Gwartney I am currently a college student attending online classes at University of Phoenix. I am pursuing my associates degree in computer science with a concentration in Software Development.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »

Keep fucking

JWK5
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »

All the best game ideas manifest after sex.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »

Certainly explains why nerdkind produces so few good new game ideas.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic