Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:55:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRETSNOM - Platform puzzler, You can flip the map(left to right, up to down)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RETSNOM - Platform puzzler, You can flip the map(left to right, up to down)  (Read 1889 times)
wingedst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »

'RETSNOM' is a puzzle platformer game having one subject. - 'Players can break the already-made map.' You should resolve the puzzle as changing and operating the map by using several features of mirror.
You have a daughter. She is unfortunately infected by a zombie virus. The only way to save your daughter is to visit the future laboratory to steal the medicine that is expected to be made by your colleagues. But the future research team is hiding in the maze using the mirror. They decorated the maze using different features of the mirror in each level.
The mirror has several features. 1. The space reflected in the mirror is left and right reversed. 2. If the mirror is fogged up with frost, we can't see the object. 3. And what about the concave mirror?

Hello, I'm one-man indie. I've build pre-alpha demos of my game, RETSNOM. Try out the demo and please send any feedback you have to.
Demo build contains 9 stages. I expect that the final release would have 60 stages(5 worlds).

You can download Demo here:
Windows https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ch6Gn4Dru2MWpUaGU2MzI1TTA/view?usp=sharing
MAC https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ch6Gn4Dru2UW56cXYyckxub3c/view?usp=sharing

Please, vote for the game on Steam GreenLight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408934010

I'm waiting for your feedback. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015. 3. 19. Edited - I've uploaded web player version of the demo game on Itch.io; Here's the link;
http://somicreatesgames.itch.io/retsnom-demo
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:33:36 PM by wingedst » Logged

Somi, one-man indie  |  'RETSNOM' on Steam store  |  Blog  |  Twitter  |  Mail
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »

-I had an issue right away. I selected Windowed mode and the game went full-screen anyway.

-Slow logo screens and text are really annoying to sit through. I was already annoyed by the time I got to the second line of text because it was going at less than half the speed I would've liked. A way to speed it up would be very nice.

-The dark part of the logo doesn't show up that well. It's not a big deal for players, but it might be a good idea for you to make sure people can clearly see your company name.

-Why do I have to wait before moving forward on the chapter intro?

-K to skip things is a bit strange, and using Space for text later seems inconsistent (Using Space for any skipping or speeding-up would make sense to me). The controls in general seem a bit confusing. Later, K is for resetting the level, which seems thematically fine but much less comfortable to hit than R would be.

-I like the animations a lot. The graphics in general are pretty nice, although some more variety in the environments would be nice (ex. some decorative background objects of some sort).

-The camera lags really far behind the character. It would be nice to see what's ahead of me when running or falling.

-Speaking of falling, it takes a strangely long time for the character to respawn after falling.

-Collecting things seems a bit delayed. They start to disappear a second after I touch them.

-It would be nice if the hint spots weren't automatically activated. The text, once again, takes far too long to get through and anyone who's already played won't need them.

-Some of the text is a bit unnatural. I'd recommend getting it proofread. If you want your demo to make as good an impression as possible for people voting on Greenlight, it might be a good idea to do this soon.

-The mirror thing is pretty good. I was happy to see that I could make multiple, overlapping areas. Otherwise it might have been too simplistic a mechanic.  

I think I could really enjoy this game if everything wasn't so incredibly slow. The logo takes ages. The text takes ages. The camera panning takes ages. The door reacting to me trying to open it takes ages. I didn't enjoy all that waiting at all. Luckily, that's pretty easily fixed if you feel so inclined. I like the aesthetic of the game and the music is pretty good. The controls feel decent as well (although I can see some people potentially disliking the jumping. I thought it was fine). The only error I encountered was one where I tried to climb down a wall and kept falling instead. Maybe I was too near the ground or something. I'm not sure.

Edit:

-I got a bit further, because apart from the slowness, it's really pretty good. I got the gun and then exited that level only to have the screen go black and stay that way.

-I pressed Escape and the black overlay went away, but all that was there was the empty level that I'd just left.

-I tried out the gun in the Level Select and found that enemies take about four times as many bullets as I would've expected. I'm hoping that it's always possible to avoid them, because fighting them seems like it would be really tedious.

-The World and Level select areas are pretty cool. I like how using the World select requires the player to be fairly comfortable using the mirror.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:11:58 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »

I'm not much for puzzley games for the most part, but I decided to go ahead and try your game out anyway. Like Quicksand-S said, the text progresses a bit too slow for my tastes, and I'm not much for the time limit (then again, I'm not a big fan of time limits in general) but other than that I didn't have any real issues. The gimmick was pretty cool as well as nicely integrated into the game, and the atmosphere was really well done. It reminds me a lot of those old "cinematic" platformers, like Prince of Persia, etc., especially in the graphics. Nicely done so far, if only I liked puzzle platformers I would have played more...
wingedst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »

Thank you so much about playing and reviewing my game. Frankly speaking, I job is related to the law enforcement in Korea. So there's no one who can play and test my game around me. Your kind comments made me know what's the bad things in my game. I really thank you guys again.

@Quicksand-S

1. I'll fix what you've said ASAP;
  - enable Window mode
  - Slow logo, slow text(there will be short cut key maybe), slow respawn process, slow reaction of the collected things
  - Skipping key K to Space
  - non-auto hint

2. My name(and my company name) is SOMI and dark part of my logo is not the name. So it's okay.
3. long waiting moment is only for the First chapter intro. There's nothing like that after it.
4. After I complete building stages, I'll add some good backgrounds and design elements.
5. English will be better in the final build. I think I have to hire better translator.
6. You can fire continuously by pressing and holding CTRL key. And you can kill zombies by collapsing them in the blocks as well.

And, your build is 0.6 i guess. There's 0.62 version in the same link. I fixed the bug what you've said about the end of the Level6.
If you don't mind, please test my game further. Level 16 in the World2, Level25 in the World3 is open in the Demo 0.62.
Thanks a lot.
Sincerely,
Somi

@Gravity Games

Thank you for your compliments. I'll fix the 'SLOW' things so please keep an eye on my game. As you said, I'm considering about moving away the time limit. But....I don't know the better solution which can replace it.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »

Nice to hear you'll be changing a bunch of things. I'll probably try a newer version later.

6. You can fire continuously by pressing and holding CTRL key. And you can kill zombies by collapsing them in the blocks as well.

I know I can hold the key, but it still takes something like sixteen bullets to kill one. Maybe you're trying to encourage people to use the mirror to take out zombies? The gun seems a bit useless because of how weak it is.

wingedst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:54:14 AM »

Here is the review about my game.

http://indiegames.com/2015/04/retsnom_-_solve_the_mysteries_.html

wingedst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »

I've been working on the new stages in the forth world. Due to business, the progress of the development is very slow. However I think I'm over the major hurdles and I'm working on it every night. So, please, keep looking at my game. It will not make you disappointed.

1. Flip up and down, left and right.

2. You can fly using the flipped areas.

P.S. There's no one who visits Greenlight page. I guess the Greenlit is impossible. :-(

wingedst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 05:31:55 PM »

-I had an issue right away. I selected Windowed mode and the game went full-screen anyway.
-> Fixed!

-Slow logo screens and text are really annoying to sit through. I was already annoyed by the time I got to the second line of text because it was going at less than half the speed I would've liked. A way to speed it up would be very nice.
-> Fixed!

-K to skip things is a bit strange, and using Space for text later seems inconsistent (Using Space for any skipping or speeding-up would make sense to me). The controls in general seem a bit confusing. Later, K is for resetting the level, which seems thematically fine but much less comfortable to hit than R would be.
-> K thing is Fixed! K thing is still remaining.

-The camera lags really far behind the character. It would be nice to see what's ahead of me when running or falling.
-> Fixed a little bit :-)

-Speaking of falling, it takes a strangely long time for the character to respawn after falling.
-> Fixed

-Collecting things seems a bit delayed. They start to disappear a second after I touch them.
-> Fixed

-It would be nice if the hint spots weren't automatically activated. The text, once again, takes far too long to get through and anyone who's already played won't need them.
-> Fixed

-Some of the text is a bit unnatural. I'd recommend getting it proofread. If you want your demo to make as good an impression as possible for people voting on Greenlight, it might be a good idea to do this soon.
-> The new translator is working on it.

-I tried out the gun in the Level Select and found that enemies take about four times as many bullets as I would've expected. I'm hoping that it's always possible to avoid them, because fighting them seems like it would be really tedious.
-> Fixed! Zombies can be killed by 5 bullets.

I have about 2 to 3 hours a day for development because of my job. So I really feel sorry about the late update. But I can tell you that I'm working on it everyday even though results are much too small.
Please, keep an eye on me and on the game of mine. The final build would be better than your expectation.

wingedst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »

Hello, It's been a long time since the last news update.
I've updated DEMO build from 0.73 to 0.8, and here's some improvements.

1. Removed the weight of jumping. You might feel more responsive than before. 
  2. Added more Checkpoints. You don't need to restart from the beginning again and again.
  3. Removed Timer because it means nothing.

Now, the updated version is available.

And one more thing,
For the world 5, I've added some new features.

I want to call it, 'INTO THE MIRROR' thing.
 You can break the mirror. It means that you can rearrange the map according to your will, and there's no limit at all.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:36:16 PM »

When I go to download the demo, I get the normal message from Google: "Win_Demo_08.zip (72M) exceeds the maximum size that Google can scan." I go to download anyway and the filename in the download dialogue is "RETSNOM_DEMO_060_WIN.zip" instead, so it seems like the old version.

I downloaded it and it's a much larger ZIP file, but it's weird that the filename stuff is so mixed up during the download process.

ANYway...

-I still love the music. So good.

-I'm not sure what point there is to the gun combat, with enemies that can't actually do anything to threaten you. Does it become more interesting later? If not, maybe reconsider the zombies (Maybe they could be creepy in terms of the story, but you don't have to actually deal with them. They could hide in the shadows or something).

-The first level of the second world showed off some weirdness in the movement system. It looks really strange when you walk down those steps, because he goes into his falling animation right away. Maybe he should keep whatever running frame he was on until his vertical speed hits a certain value and then go into the falling animation. That way, just walking down stairs would look more like taking large steps and less like a weird hopping motion.

-The text you get from the hint/tutorial thing in that level is really confusing. It's not proper English at all and I'm not sure what it's meant to say.

-The Level Select is a bit weird. If I go back to it from inside a level, I start at the beginning of the world instead of at the door to the level I was in. If I exit the Level Select and go to the World Select, I start at the beginning of it instead of at the door to the world I was in.

-I got "stuck" on the first level of World 2, but didn't spend much time on it because it seemed like it would be tedious to move single blocks over and over.

-It was a bit weird not to have music there at the beginning of that level. I felt like it needed more, like echoing footsteps or something similar. It just felt bland rather than hauntingly empty or anything.

-On World 3, I had issues with the vertical flipping. It's really, really easy to get into a situation where it's almost impossible to flip something back to how it was because you can't get back to a spot where the wall won't cover you.

-I got a "Time is ticking" warning in that level, even though you said you've removed the timer. Is that level an exception, or is the 71.9MB file that I got from your first post the incorrect version of the demo?

I didn't try the other worlds yet, but the changes in this version seem pretty good so far. The movement changes alone make a huge difference. I just played the old one to compare and the newer version feels much, much better.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic