Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:21:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Help on a survey
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help on a survey  (Read 627 times)
Mika
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2015, 06:44:35 AM »

Hi,

I'm doing an scientific survey for my university and all game developer inputs would be appreciated!
The subject is on the reasons that influence the decisions regarding the selection of different software tools in the game industry.

These software’s include things such as: game engines, design programs, 3D modelling tools, etc. If you use or have acquired any of such software’s from an outside source to be in the final product or to help in the development, your input would be greatly appreciated.

If you wish, you and/or the company you represent, or the game you are working on, can be made anonymous in the study and thus would not be identifiable. The results of this study will be used purely for scientific purposes.

The questions:

1.Your name? (can be left blank if you wish not to be identified)
:

2.Name of your company or the company you are working for? (can be left blank if you wish not to be identified)
:

3.What type of game(s) are you developing and on what platform(s)?
:

4.Name(s) of the major game(s) that you are developing? (can be left blank if you wish not to be identified)
:

5.What software tool(s) have you bought or otherwise procured for the final game or to help in the development process?
:

6.What were the main reasons you selected this/these particular products?
:

7.What was the main need that the product(s) had to fulfill?
:

8.On 1 to 10 and 10 being the best, how well would you rate their functionality?
:

9.Was the possible price of these products a major concern?
:

10.Did the type of game you are developing have a major effect on the choice?
:

11.Did you consider on making at least some of the things yourself, that you have procured from outside source?
:

12.If yes, why? If no, why?
:

13.What was the main reason why you chose to get the software from outside source(s)?
:

14.If you are able to, can you name few things that need special attention in the selection of software’s that you have acquired?
:

15.What are the major effects of the software that can be seen the final game, if any?
:

16.In your opinion, how would these effects differ compared to a use of a possible alternative software?
:

Thank you for responding. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask me! Smiley
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »

Judging from question 5 and 6, i guess you're primarily after people that work as / with / for ( small ) independent developers? When you work at a regular game development studio you generally don't get to choose what tools you work with, nor have to purchase them yourself ( obviously ).
h_double
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »

Pretty much a hobbyist developer but I've been coding for a good while.

Hi,

I'm doing an scientific survey for my university and all game developer inputs would be appreciated!
The subject is on the reasons that influence the decisions regarding the selection of different software tools in the game industry.

These software’s include things such as: game engines, design programs, 3D modelling tools, etc. If you use or have acquired any of such software’s from an outside source to be in the final product or to help in the development, your input would be greatly appreciated.

If you wish, you and/or the company you represent, or the game you are working on, can be made anonymous in the study and thus would not be identifiable. The results of this study will be used purely for scientific purposes.

The questions:

1.Your name? (can be left blank if you wish not to be identified)
: Bunny Blake

2.Name of your company or the company you are working for? (can be left blank if you wish not to be identified)
: Discolingua Productions

3.What type of game(s) are you developing and on what platform(s)?
: arcade + action RPGs in Unity, primarily for browser/PC/Mac

4.Name(s) of the major game(s) that you are developing? (can be left blank if you wish not to be identified)
:

5.What software tool(s) have you bought or otherwise procured for the final game or to help in the development process?
: Unity, Photoshop, GNU Emacs, Ableton Live, Tiled

6.What were the main reasons you selected this/these particular products?
: Unity for its cross-platform ability and variety of built-in tools.

7.What was the main need that the product(s) had to fulfill?
: Ease of development and deployment

8.On 1 to 10 and 10 being the best, how well would you rate their functionality?
: 8.5

9.Was the possible price of these products a major concern?
: Yes, especially if I decide to get into mobile development, but for where I'm at now the Unity licensing is very reasonable.

10.Did the type of game you are developing have a major effect on the choice?
: somewhat

11.Did you consider on making at least some of the things yourself, that you have procured from outside source?
: I've been mostly producing my own assets (2D art and audio). If I branched more into 3D I'd definitely use more assets from other sources. I have no problems using code/libraries developed by others.

12.If yes, why? If no, why?
: For the games I'm making, developing the presentation is very much part of the fun and what I want to communicate.

13.What was the main reason why you chose to get the software from outside source(s)?
: Not sure this question is relevant to me

14.If you are able to, can you name few things that need special attention in the selection of software’s that you have acquired?
: What platforms will the game run on and what are the system requirements? How big is the executable? Can it support e.g. fullscreen, game controllers?

15.What are the major effects of the software that can be seen the final game, if any?
: nothing major/specific

16.In your opinion, how would these effects differ compared to a use of a possible alternative software?
:

Thank you for responding. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask me! Smiley
Mika
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:06:20 AM »

Judging from question 5 and 6, i guess you're primarily after people that work as / with / for ( small ) independent developers? When you work at a regular game development studio you generally don't get to choose what tools you work with, nor have to purchase them yourself ( obviously ).

Yes main focus is on those that get to make the selection themselves or be part of the decision making. So indie developers are very much on the scope here  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic