Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:20:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLoot Rush - Twitch 2D platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Loot Rush - Twitch 2D platformer  (Read 1331 times)
OldSoulCyborg
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »

Download v. 0.1
Download v. 0.1.1

Loot Rush is a twitch platformer. I'm drawing inspiration from games like N, Super Meat Boy and Knytt Stories (though that's not really a twitch game).
I've tweaked the controls nearly to the point where I'm not sure what I could improve about them (aside from a few glitches I haven't gotten around to fixing yet). Early, small-scale playtesting has been promising so far in that regard. Even people who don't normally play these kinds of games seem to get the hang of the controls pretty quickly.
But I know the controls aren't perfect and would love to have some feedback in that area.

Currently the game only has keyboard controls, but they're very simple:
Left and right arrow keys to move.
Z to jump.

You can hit Esc at the Chapter select screen to access the menu where you can rebind the controls to your liking and make the game fullscreen.

Aside from the controls I'm also looking for feedback on the overall structure of the game (the way the levels are split up into chapters, the number of levels per chapter, that sort of thing).
I'm open to feedback for any part of the game though, especially if it's something you feel strongly about.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:04:40 PM by OldSoulCyborg » Logged

GekidoRising
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »

Hey there! I played this game for about half an hour, seemed pretty fun, especially when I got to the later levels! Before I put down my notes, I'll say that these impressions are coming from someone who does not have a lot of twitch platformer experience. Here's what I have to say in convenient bullet points:

• I like how jumping gives you a little extra boost of speed right at the start of the jump which fades away as you stay in the air. It makes platforming across the small platforms really fun in the later levels, makes me feel ninja like
  • The mechanic which allows the character vault over corners once he's reached the top of a wall takes a little getting used to but is fun once you get the idea. I just found myself a little surprised by how fast he starts moving forward again, especially in situations where I'm trying to climb to the top of a wall to get a big wall jump, hit jump a pixel too late and then just vault into spikes by accident. Again, not very experienced with twitch platformers so I guess that's just the way it is.
  • Those walls are sticky! I know I just made a bullet point about how quickly the character vaults up and over corners, but when it comes to actually grabbing the walls in the first place, the player character really sticks good. This is nice in some cases but it posed a few problems for me:
  • For example, in 3-2, the level ends with a very narrow hole into the exit. I guess the idea is to perfectly swish right in without touching the walls, but I found in the event that I did touch the walls, tapping to get off the wall just stuck me onto the other wall instead, eating away my bonus multiplier at the same time.
  • Also, I noticed the character's entire hitbox can grab onto walls, which feels a little weird when you can basically grab onto walls with his hat. In short, I found a lot of moments where I expect to make a jump, but instead, I juuust barely get snagged up on the bottom corner of a wall and start climbing it instead.
  • Just curious but is this the intended way to complete chapter 2-1?

Man, I had some trouble with this the first time! I'm lucky I got it on my fourth attempt when I recorded this! I don't think I've gotten better then a 0.5x bonus multiplier on that level yet. I saw that this sort of jump comes into play later in the game but I think it might need to be made a little easier for 2-1
  • I mentioned earlier that I was having a lot more fun on the later levels because I found they were much better structured for getting into 'the zone', where you actually start making twitch actions in order to complete things speedily and precisely. I found that was harder to do on the earlier levels because they were more focused on finding the ideal route for gems instead of just plowing through platforms.

Again, everything I mentioned above is from the perspective of someone who does not play a lot of twitch platformers so a lot of this might not apply for your core audience. Also, I did find that a lot of the stuff I mentioned above getting somewhat easier once I put a little practice into it, but I thought I should just throw out my two cents.

As for the structure of the levels and chapters, I think they're pretty much adequate. To be honest, I was actually expecting four levels per chapter instead of five, but I'm not sure why I expected that and it's not important anyway. On just trying to find the levels though, I found it was difficult to remember which levels were where. I don't know if a level preview thing is in the works but it might be an idea to consider!

The only thing I want to bring up outside of level structure and controls is, I found that picking up gems minorly obstructs your visual lock on the player, which for the most part is a miniscule problem, except for moments like in your final gif where a set of gems are placed on a wall where falling or going over could result in death. I remember one level had a wall with gems on it and spikes above and below it. Whenever I would pick up gems, with a combination of the particle effect, the point floater ("100" "10" "50") and the player's own ribbon emitter, I would lose track of the player for a few frames and find myself mashing jump in the hopes that I was still touching a wall.

Final consensus though, the game is pretty fun, especially later on when the gems are laid out in such a way that the route is obvious, with special gems requiring some more fancy footwork to get (while still on the main route).
OldSoulCyborg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »

Hey, wow! That's a lot of good feedback! Thanks!

Some of it I don't really want to change as I feel it's just one of those things the player needs to get used to (for example: how easily you cling to walls is just so core to the game's feel in my opinion. Utilizing that and working around it is just something a player needs to be able to do if he wants to do well at the game.)
But if it's a noticably "off" thing about the game then it's probably something I should at least think about tweaking further.

Yes, that is the intended way to finish 2-1. You can also make it to the opposite wall. Or start from the floating platform on the left and kind of hook around to the right side of the upper left pillar. It should probably be a little easier though. I just wanted to avoid making it possible to do a running jump from the top of the platform on the right, but I guess I took it too far.

How far did you get in the game? I'm note quite sure what you mean when you talk about later levels.

Good point about the clutter when it comes to collecting the loot. I think a big problem with that is the player sprite doesn't stand out all that much. The colours don't 'pop' against the background. Add moving particles and big, bright numbers to that and I can see it being easy to lose track of the player.

The level preview thing is a great idea, like small thumbnails of all the levels in a chapter on the chapter selection screen (but only if you've already beaten the chapter, I think). That's going to have to wait until later, but I think it definitely needs to be in there.

GekidoRising
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »

It's cool if you don't want to change those mechanics! As I said, I'm not very deep into the twitch platformer genre so it may just be general inexperience on my part.

Just checked now, I played up until chapter 7! To be specific, I think the levels I enjoyed were the ones in the second half of chapter 6 and the few that I played through on chapter 7!

Glad to hear that you like my other little feedback tidbits and, while I'm writing this, there were two notes that I forgot to mention actually in my last post:

• For controls, one last thing I remember encountering were rooms where there were gems way up on the ceiling, for example, in level 2-1 in the upper right corner, which after I acquired, I would let my character drop back down to the bottom of the level. In instances like that, basically sections where the character falls a long distance, I found that, even with my low experience, the fall speed was a bit slow! Now, I'm not saying you should increase the fall speed because for normal platforming, everything felt fine, but as I was falling, I found myself pressing down to try and increase the speed I fell at.

Basically what I'm getting at is, maybe adding a button to increase fall speed might be cool, and for more experienced people, would create some really interesting speedruns! Also, down might be an ideal button for letting go of walls too but at this point I'm just throwing out random suggestions so I really should move onto my next point.
  • This one's pretty simple but the first time I closed the game, it didn't save. At first I thought you just hadn't implemented saving yet but after replaying the chapters, I found that it did save! I can't say I can really remember what I did to close the game in such a way that it prevented saving. I think it might be that I closed it with the close window(X) button instead of using the in game quit, but don't take my word on that.
OldSoulCyborg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »

• This one's pretty simple but the first time I closed the game, it didn't save. At first I thought you just hadn't implemented saving yet but after replaying the chapters, I found that it did save! I can't say I can really remember what I did to close the game in such a way that it prevented saving. I think it might be that I closed it with the close window(X) button instead of using the in game quit, but don't take my word on that.

Hmm... if you closed the game after beating a chapter but before returning to the chapter select menu, then it wouldn't have saved. That's the only situation where the game not saving would be as expected.

OldSoulCyborg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »

New version is up:
Download v. 0.1.1

Unfortunately this version is incompatible with the save file from version 0.1 so if you played that you'll have to start over.

Mostly changes to the chapter selection menu but they're really good ones, I promise. If you felt the game was a little pointless before, a little aimless even, like you didn't know how long until you got where you were going and you didn't even know where you were going, well, that shouldn't be a problem any more.

OldSoulCyborg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:33 AM »

Download v. 0.1.2!

I've made a number of small changes, mostly in the chapter select menu to make the secondary goals clearer. The menu will look a bit messed up if you played v. 0.1.1 before, but it'll fix itself if you play a chapter and return (even if you don't finish the chapter).

A talk on "game feel" by someone from Vlambeer convinced me I needed dust clouds when jumping and landing, so that's now in there. Not sure if it adds anything to the game. I probably just need to tweak the look of the dust a bit.

I also addeed text to the chapter select screen to tell you which button brings up the menu, which button confirms/jumps and which button deletes your save.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic