Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:07:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBrambleLash - Released For Steam
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: BrambleLash - Released For Steam  (Read 5446 times)
zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 03:12:46 AM »

Hey everyone,

I've been working heavily on the scenery of BrambleLash.  

There has been a lot of work on both the technical front as well as the art side with regards to this.

I put together shaders that allow for the grass to interact with scene objects. They allow grass to move when walked through, wave in the wind, and bloom flowers or scorch and die depending on whether players or enemies walk upon it.

Separate cameras render objects on the deformation layers.  Here is an example of a render image used to create the grass depressions when instances walk over it.

The two players zip around, avoiding the bullet and then kill the enemies.

These renders are then given to the shader which performs a vertex deformation to distort the grass.  Also the main textures of the grass and scenery objects are interpolated between either a decay texture, default texture or blooming texture.

As well as adding these dynamics to the scene we are now using the Unity terrain system with triplanar shaders (to avoid stretching) to create the landscape.  The intention is to hasten our level development process significantly.

While this provided a number of benefits there was still a need to be able to quickly populate our levels with grass, rocks and other prefabs.  As such I dived into the poorly documented world of Unity editor scripting and spent a night getting together an object painter that could handle our requirements.

We can now paint instances onto the terrain. They can be told to align with the surface and/or only fall on certain angles as well as randomise their scale, or rotation.  You can also delete items you have painted on the terrain and a number of shortcuts were created to make things easier.  Finally once all the work is done you can hit composite and batch all the instances into a single mesh for better performance.  After batching the old instances are kept, but disabled and stored as a backup should we want to go back and change things.

Adding a simple click to create or delete multiple instances to speed development along.

We intend to expand the number of environments the player will be in and create around 4 different sets.  Up until now we have been pushing to see exactly how much we should include with the first set to give some idea as to how much more to add.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:23:11 PM by zeid » Logged

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 04:31:41 AM »

I was so excited to play and downloaded it and then the disappointment.... how can you make friends a system requirement? I have no friends and they aren't sold on Amazon either. Did you have to remember me? Your game, as it is, is DEPRESSING!

I think as a compensetion you're now obliged to support single player gameplay, too! I've got two analog sticks on my joypad! I could take control both dudes at the same time. Make button B to pull player 2 to 1 and A the other way round. X&Y for item use. That's all I need to play your game AND continue to live in reclusion!

Thanks! Smiley

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »

Sorry to let you down Cry

We intend to get a one player version with controller support up and running soon with the controls not dissimilar to what you said.

We're hoping to push out a new demo soon, as the current one is looking very dated at this point.  So perhaps a simple one-player version will make its way in.

Let me know if you manage to make a friend to play with.  Then I can start boasting to people how our game changed someones life!

Edit:

Low poly bush so I feel like I posted some content.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:17:04 PM by zeid » Logged

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:56 AM »

Yeah that would be great. Maybe we'll mary and have kids, all thanks to your game. Maybe I'll go outside someday and ask people to play with me... just not today. :/

In the meantime you can just pretend it to have happened that way if it makes your PR department happy. Who'll ever know?

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 03:00:41 AM »

I'm pretending that is how it went down. It certainly makes me feel better about myself.

In other news we decided to start streaming our progress on Twitch.  I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but you can check out our first stream here;
Our twitch channel

I will announce before hand tomorrow when we start steaming again.  We were working on adding scenery to our levels, here is a screenshot of the finished product.

Our stream cut out after an hour, not sure why... Still getting the hang of this whole Twitch thing.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »

Starting another Twitch stream in a couple of minutes:
http://www.twitch.tv/bytesprite

Will provide an update once we are done streaming.

IonForceStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »

Hi,
I haven`t written it before but for me graphics is amazing Wink
Good luck with continuing this project.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 02:31:40 AM »

Thanks very much.

I have been putting a lot of work into the look of the game so compliments are always appreciated.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »

We have just released another development demo!

This version includes 2 and 4 player adventure mode support.  As well as our 4 player versus.

You can download and try the new version here;
DOWNLOAD DEMO 0.7

Over the next couple of weeks we will be revising the HUD completely as it is still mostly placeholder stuff.  Our intention is to get the game looking visually as close as possible to how it will be upon release.

Also in the pipeline are some different environment palettes (Winter, and Autumn) to add some diversity to the look future levels.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »

BrambleLash has continued to progress nicely!

The in game HUD got the major rework it has needed for a while and is very close to completion.

Versus mode received an overhaul.  Despite overwhelmingly positive feedback from play testers, there were some issues that we wanted to address.  The short rounds left players wondering what was going on.  Also as it was a 'last two standing' setup, it was possible for two players to kill themselves and two players to wind by default without having done anything.  So the game rules for it have been changed to a 'first to 5 kills'.  This extends the length of rounds so players get time to work out what is going on, and prevents two players from winning by default.  It also forces players to betray one another as the game goes on if they wish to be the sole winner.

I began designing and modelling the third and fourth playable characters.  I will also be reworking the player models.  They need to stand out from one another more and need a bit of adjustment to bring them up to standard with the rest of the graphics in the game.

The current design for the third playable character as it stands, will need re-topology work but this is the speed sculpt from zbrush.

Here are some concepts for the fourth playable character's design.  What do you guys like?

Some concepts for the fourth playable character.

It is also locked in that we will be showing at PAX AUS.  I will be sure to give everyone an overview on how it went and what was involved come the date.

We added deflection to the game to remedy a design issue in the versus mode.  This came up during play testing and we finally found time to work it into the game.

Boing, boing

We have released a final Demo for the time being.  People who want to continue to receive free updates of the game as it transitions through beta will have to sign up.
New demo

We also released a new video showing the gameplay.  We're not ready for an official trailer yet, but hopefully it will give people an idea of what is going on.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »

Massive update time!

We've been working hard on promotional stuff for PAX and most importantly we have now launched on Greenlight!

Amongst the many promotional tasks we have been working on;
- Creating art for our PAX banner and to be re-used across other promotional material.
- Organising lapel pins using our character designs for handouts during PAX. (Will show them off once they get delivered)
- Organising cards to handout with the pins through them so people have our details.
- Setting up our website and Greenlight page.

Also worth noting is that we received some government funding that we applied for early this year.  We are one of three Western Australian companies to have received the only games related funding in Perth at this time.

I've also been working on the final playable character model and we have been reworking all the final character models.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »

BrambleLash made it into the top 50 on Steam Greenlight so far!

It was sitting at #40 not long ago. Very happy with how things are going, but it is starting to plateau.
Vote for it here if you haven't yet

We received the promotional cards for our PAX booth today.

I also finally got to do some 'real dev' work for a bit.  I'm currently reworking character silhouettes so that they are more discernible from one another.

As they are mostly viewed top-down I'm looking into designs from RTS games and MOBAs for reference.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 06:40:49 AM »

We now have ball our promotional gear for PAX AUS!

We ordered and designed 1000 promotional cards, and 600 lapel pins (based on the player faces)

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 05:55:48 AM »

Well I let the devlog fall to the wayside.  Which makes me sad Cry

But we just released the game for Steam!  Which makes me happy Smiley

A lot has happened since I last posted.
We went to PAX AUS twice and recently got accepted into Tokyo Games Festival and will be showing in Japan.  We have made immense changes to the game.  We signed to release on Xbox One and Playstation 4 (this will happen early next year).  And we had a lot of fun making something we are pretty proud of.

Even if the game isn't a commercial success (which I doubt it will be), we have enjoyed a great deal of success surrounding it.  It gave us job opportunities we otherwise wouldn't have received, let us interact with amazing people from the game industry, inspired us to improve our skills, motivated us to travel, and of course gave us something to aspire for.

You can get the game on Steam if you are interested.  I would love feedback on what is good, what is bad, what is horrible?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic