Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:55:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)CG imagery
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CG imagery  (Read 970 times)
Scorpion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »

Hey everyone,
I hope this is the right section to post this in. If not, I apologize.

A friend of mine and I are putting together a mobile app/ game. The game is a medieval fantasy RPG. The player controls the game by doing fitness exercises in the real world.

Without going into specifics too much, I have a design-related question I'd like to ask:

We are trying to figure out how to design the visuals. None of us can do those, so we will hire a designer to create them. We need something (relatively) cheap and simple. At the same time, the visuals need to convincingly convey a gripping atmosphere. The game has to look believable, so that players can immerse themselves in it. We are toying with the idea of simply using CG images like this one:

Music, SFX and a narrator would do the rest to make the image more effective.

What are your thoughts on this? Are there better/ alternative approaches? Is it possible to somehow animate such images (of only slightly)? I'm thinking of something similar to how Dragon's Crown handles NPCs (the guild master in the video below @06:38):

Other suggestions, questions or feedback of any kind are welcome as well, of course!

Thanks in advance,
Nikola

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »

Yea they do the same type of still image animation on the League of Legends login screen. All you have to do is get a character painting and slice/repaint a bunch of it. The animation is much easier than animating an entire character for most other types of games (idle, walk, run, get hit, attack, die, etc...). And with relatively minor tweaking you could convey different attitudes (adjust posture and swap heads).

I think a game whos art revolves around gorgeous animated paintings is an awesome idea. It would be very easy on the eyes.

Oh god make it stop.
Scorpion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:39:33 AM »

Thx for the feedback.

In another forum I was told use image warping (with small amplitudes) of a foreground image (e.g. a knight) that is composed onto a background image (e.g. a castle) to create the illusion of movement.

Someone also mentioned a "parallax effect".

I'm guessing that either of those would do the trick.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic