Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:06:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs there a need for Kickstarter data?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is there a need for Kickstarter data?  (Read 1018 times)
gmicek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »

Hi all!

On cliqist we maintain a file of all the successful and unsuccessful Kickstarter video game projects.  We track a few dozen different data points and use it to put together the occasional data article, see which developers are MIA, and so on.  However, I think that developers could use the data as well in order to do better pre-campaign analysis.

So I'm thinking that we should just give away the data to anyone who wants it.  In an effort to stay in Kickstarter's good graces we wouldn't charge for it, but have it hosted on a page with a couple ads and such.

Is this sort of thing something devs would even want or find useful? Is there a particular way it should be presented?  What data points would be beneficial?

Sorry if this comes across as a sales pitch, just trying to figure out if it's worth the time to get it put into a more usable format and to have a well defined update schedule.

Thanks everyone, have a good night!

Greg Micek
Cliqist.com - Crowdfunded Gaming
Twitter Facebook
richardatlas
Level 0

Clever Endeavour Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »

I definitely think that could be useful! I've been keeping track of successful and failed ones as well and have been analyzing what they've done right and wrong, but I don't have real stats written down. I used that stuff more to figure out how much we should ask, how long our video should be, how many tiers we should have, etc. What kind of data are you talking about?

@ClevEndeavGames
MrProg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »

I would love a site like this! I'm always looking at current and past Kickstarter projects to see how they succeed or fail. I'd find this very beneficial!
wisetaner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »

Considering Kickstarter provides something very similar to this on their site already, Gmicek, yours would need to be continuously up-to-date with several dozen categories of graphical analysis. I have studied Kickstarter off and on for about a year or more and have more thoughts on this matter, so let me know if you're interested. I'm also curious to know if you plan on offering this analysis as a free wiki or subscription model of some sort on your web site.

Note:: A free wiki might not seem like a good financial decision at first, but done properly you could help properly educate would be Indie developers on the do's and dont's of crowdfunding. While at the same growing your user base and viability in the eyes of revenue generating advertisers. I'm not certain if that's common knowledge or not. Shrug
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:47:14 AM by wisetaner » Logged

Wise = Accepting that you will always be learning new information and that no one knows everything. When you make a mistake, do not let pride rule you, instead accept, acknowledge, learn from, and move on from that mistake.
gmicek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Richardatlad: The stats I have now include : name, url, final status, currency, creator, location, update count, comments, reward tiers, goal, raised, backers, start date, end date, duration, facebook linked, facebook shares, video yes or no, dev link, word count description, wordcount risks and challenges, wordcount faq.  These fields would be "frozen" in time based on the end of the campaign. Getting the current status isn't much of an issue and is something we already have, but I question the value to anyone really.  If I'm creating a campaign I wouldn't care how many updates and comments (for example) there are two years after the campaign is over, I'd want to know how many were made during the campaign.  For successful projects there's fields for current development status (in development, released, early access, and two forms of MIA status), and purchase links.  The two MIA status links include one for no communication via Kickstarter for 4 or more months, and the other is no communication via any channels for 4 or more months.

You got me thinking that video length would definitely be a good one as well.

CriticallyPixel : Great!  It would just be on a page with a link to the excel file updated once a month on our existing site.

Wisetaner : Totally get what you mean!  The issue I have with Kickstarter's numbers is that they're very general and don't allow you to deep dive and finding trending.  I could be wrong, but... people speak to the value of launching campaigns on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays (for example), but I don't believe I've seen the raw data that supports that.  Additionally, having raw data could theoretically allow people to run their own analysis of it.

You bring up a really good point with the Wiki.  We're definitely not going to be charging for the data, but I can understand that not everyone will get a ton of value out of a fairly cumbersome raw excel file.  A wiki of some sort could allow people to post and share their own analysis.  That'd be pretty easy to integrate into our existing site, and hopefully improve community engagement.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:49:32 AM by gmicek » Logged

Greg Micek
Twitter Facebook
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »

hey gmicek i would love to see this information. our team is currently preparing to kickstart our project, dragon of legends, and all the advice/experience would be great to read. the whole process is quite nerve-racking, but if i could learn from what others did that would definitely help.

also, is the only way to be mentioned on your website through paid advertising? 

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
gmicek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:24 PM »

hey gmicek i would love to see this information. our team is currently preparing to kickstart our project, dragon of legends, and all the advice/experience would be great to read. the whole process is quite nerve-racking, but if i could learn from what others did that would definitely help.

also, is the only way to be mentioned on your website through paid advertising?

Cool!  At this point I'm pretty much 100% on publishing the data; not it's just a matter of getting it cleaned up and adding some other helpful fields.

And not at all. We don't get a ton of ads really because I feel icky trying to push them too much, hehe.  Just shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I'll be more than happy to arrange for some write-ups.  Do you have an ETA on your campaign?  It'll take a while to get everything else put together but I might be able to help you with what we have so far.

Greg Micek
Twitter Facebook
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:25 PM »

oh woah awesome! i'll send you an email tomorrow from my thrive games account

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
wisetaner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 06:04:48 PM »

Sounds very promising, Gmicek! This week is unusually busy at my day job, so it will be a few days before I can comment back.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Wisetaner : Totally get what you mean!  The issue I have with Kickstarter's numbers is that they're very general and don't allow you to deep dive and finding trending.  I could be wrong, but... people speak to the value of launching campaigns on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays (for example), but I don't believe I've seen the raw data that supports that.  Additionally, having raw data could theoretically allow people to run their own analysis of it.

You bring up a really good point with the Wiki.  We're definitely not going to be charging for the data, but I can understand that not everyone will get a ton of value out of a fairly cumbersome raw excel file.  A wiki of some sort could allow people to post and share their own analysis.  That'd be pretty easy to integrate into our existing site, and hopefully improve community engagement.

Wise = Accepting that you will always be learning new information and that no one knows everything. When you make a mistake, do not let pride rule you, instead accept, acknowledge, learn from, and move on from that mistake.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic