Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:09:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Vector-type graphics, resolution and programs?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vector-type graphics, resolution and programs?  (Read 1135 times)
Garrent
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:43:54 AM »

I've been using exclusively pixel art in my games but want to try my hand at a more vector style of art but I know very little about it.

For a PC game what resolution are these types of art done at? And what programs are used to create it?

This is the type of art I'm referring to.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:09:08 AM by Garrent » Logged
Dayl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »

Vector art is not done in a particular resolution. It is all calculated mathematically based on points and vectors, hence the name. So you can do it at any size and resize it to any size, which is the main benefit of using vector graphics in the first place. The 2 vector graphic programs I'm familiar with are Adobe Flash and Adobe Illustrator.
settrbrg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:33:07 AM »

I have not used it, but InkScape are suppose to be a good free alternative to the today leading(?) vector software Adobe Illustrator.

I have used Illustrator alot so maybe I will try inkscape aswell ^^
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »

It's worth pointing out that the use of Vector art still translates into pixels for most major 3D engines. Even if you make your art in a vector program, you are going to be exporting it as a pixel format when importing it into an engine.

That said, it seems you are more interested in the style than the technical underpinnings. And as long as you export the generated vector art in an adequate resolution, how it gets on screen is largely immaterial. I personally use InkScape. It is the open-source equivalent to the more industry-standard Adobe Illustrator, in much the same way that GIMP is the open source alternative to Photoshop.

While InkScape isn't quite as user-friendly as Illustrator, it is still quite capable. Once you get used to its interface, it is fairly easy to use for effective vector art in the kind of style you are interested in.

As has already been mentioned, resolution only matters in vector graphics when you export them to pixel graphics. And you can set whatever resolution you please at that stage. For creation, you can define the pixel resolution of your canvas, but it doesn't really matter what you set it at.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:02:48 AM by Richard Kain » Logged
[bk]door.maus
Level 0

Remember what the dormouse said: feed your head.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »

Most developers rasterize their art.

Rendering vector graphics is computationally expensive if naively done. Generally, it's not feasible for games or real-time rendering.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic