Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:43:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoyages of ol' chumbucket lickin' pirates
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Voyages of ol' chumbucket lickin' pirates  (Read 3566 times)
sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2015, 01:45:31 AM »

Arrrr, the overview
 Hand Point Right http://scurvylobster.tumblr.com/ (devlog)
 Hand Point Right http://sandfella.itch.io/voyages (download)

Voyages of ol' chumbucket lickin' pirates is a game of pirate ship building and resource management. You start as a pirate captain who doesn't have a proper ship yet (as you can see below) and only a one crewmate (your ship's quartermaster). Gameplay & theme is inspired by FTL, Pixel Piracy and (board game) Galaxy Truckers. Chumbucket lickin' pirates won't have RPG elements (many different skills, pirate weapons or such) though. Gameplay occurs mainly in one screen (similar to what you see below).

In the very first scenario you'll go a treasure hunt: You know about the hidden treasure. You will have some starting money (and grog) and you will build a small ship, get some cannons and hire some crew mates.

Building and expanding your ship is done on the same user interface. Here is a close-up view on getting new items on board. You can place them as you wish (although physics entities... like floors etc will restrict placement)

Hand Point Right items

Hand Point Right ship building

The gameplay loop is something like the following:
  • Travel through a location (location can be things such as "Pirate's Harbour", "Kraken's Hideout", "The Grand Sea"), and traveling time depends on your ship sailing speed
  • Handle encounters (and hopefully don't lose the game) until you reach the next location

I haven't decided yet the final form of the encounters handling (I have plans for non-ui based encounters) but I have two different plans for it and will test which one will be better. Here's plan A (UI based encounters) where you will get hints on what bad or good things might happen (this depends on your crewmates/quartermaster's morale: when there's bad morale will warn about things that could go horribly wrong but when things go good there will be optimistic subtle hints.

79 day done
I work on the game daily (at least 30 minutes) so I've done the game 79 days so far. My goal is to get a webplayable version done by the day 100 (something that you can play from start to finish, at least the first scenario with a few locations and bunch of different encounters and ship building options).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:24:22 AM by sandfella » Logged

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:53:20 AM »

I've heard so many good things about the Galaxy Truckers boardgame, if you smash that into FTL, it'll be fantastic. As far as I understand Galaxy Truckers, the mechanics of the game kinda force you to create a janky, not particularly stable ship that kinda works until it all goes horribly wrong, right? And the way it seems to go horribly wrong (from what I've heard) is that half your ship will get obliterated by a meteor, and you'll have to limp on to the next checkpoint. I want to play that game on PC, please.

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:14:25 AM »

I've heard so many good things about the Galaxy Truckers boardgame, if you smash that into FTL, it'll be fantastic. As far as I understand Galaxy Truckers, the mechanics of the game kinda force you to create a janky, not particularly stable ship that kinda works until it all goes horribly wrong, right? And the way it seems to go horribly wrong (from what I've heard) is that half your ship will get obliterated by a meteor, and you'll have to limp on to the next checkpoint. I want to play that game on PC, please.

Galaxy Trucker's building mechanism has a limited time and pieces must be in certain way (you can rotate them). I think that kind of system won't be available in my game. I tried something like that but felt that the pirate ship building to be too limited.

What I am thinking is that there will be threats from different directions (whales hit your ship's bottom and other ships might attack back or front) and your ship should get damaged.. and thus placing your items strategically is important. So, there's some similarities (and many differences) but I think GT as an inspiration, not something that I'll be cloning.

I do hope my approach still works & is fun to play  Smiley

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »

Day 87

Recently I've been working on the location system. In the first scenario there's currently seven different locations. Locations have different encounters. For example the "Pirates' Haven"  has a quite different encounter than what goes on in the location "Kraken's Hideout".

One of the things I also want to have is that each resource (for example barrel of grog) is visible on the ship as an object. So, if you want to load 3 barrels of grog, you will actually have to move them to your ship (see below). And also, if during an encounter you lose one barrel of grog.. then yes, that barrel is lost and your grog resource decreases to 2.

Compare this with strategy games where you have for example "87 gold pieces" that are never actually seen anywhere. I'm not saying my approach is any better as I haven't tested this yet -- just pointing out a difference. I probably will need some sort of way to quickly show how much resources you have left (so that you don't have to count your barrels and other resources all the time).

So far 87 days of development have passed. There's quite much things to do, but still aiming for that first playable web version pre-pre-pre-alpha launches on day 100.  Ninja

solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »

I'm looking forward to play that alpha.
sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »

Day 95
(5 days from first preprepre^4 early alpha release and... plenty of things to do!)

I believe these 2d physics need a hug or something...

I've been working on adding the first location to the game. I originally intended to use a map to select location but eventually ditched that idea in favor of simply showing location art on the same screen where all the other action happens. For example, in that above picture your crewmates arrive to one of the first locations: The Pirates' Haven where you can add supplies and start building your ship.

There's an interesting dilemma with 2d physics: First I intended isle tiles to use the same physics as the rest of the game but then realizes that there would be no way to pass that isle. Either my crewmates collide with the isle or not (since there's also the ship). I solve this by making it so that your crewmates stay on the ship - no going to the isle. You merely pick stuff from the isle to your boat.

What's next...
I'll add the first location (pirate haven) and the final location (treasure isle) and then add first encounter... and then the second and plenty of other things too. Let's see if I can nail everything I've planned before day 100. (I have a Trello board here: https://trello.com/b/3pqykdY9/voyages-of-ol-chumbucket-lickin-pirates)

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »

Day 104
Sometimes there's obstacles that delay your traveling..

Small delay on the first preprepre-alpha release. Aiming for this week's Friday (Day 107). Simply because I haven't done yet all the features I planned for the first release. Stay tuned.

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

Day 114
I had aimed to publish the first pre-pre-pre-alpha on day 100. I missed the day 100 deadline, as I simply think there's a couple of core gameplay elements that simply have to be done.

Now I have a new deadline: day 120.

By that time I aim to have ship building + traveling + simple combat done... and of course the treasure isle so you can beat the first scenario.

Currently putting some effort on the combat:

Canned Turkey
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »

Holy crap I don't care what else you do but please leave the combat just like this.
Don't add blood or anything seriously this is slapstick at its finest.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 04:06:12 AM »

Aaaarrrrrr I didn't realise this was on here!

Seen your gifs on Twitter, it looks properly awesome. Good luck with the project!

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 11:02:08 PM »

Holy crap I don't care what else you do but please leave the combat just like this.
Don't add blood or anything seriously this is slapstick at its finest.

That's a marvellous suggestion. I was about to start adding blood, but I'll have to rethink now!

More combat effort here:

And here: (breaking barrels!)

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »

Getting closer to first alpha release...  bit of music after a successful naval combat Coffee

Youtube video Hand Point Right

Hand Point Left

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »

Day 120 is here (planned day of the first pre-alpha release). Let's see how that goes, typing as fast as I can  Hand Any Key

Currently working on to make naval combat playable:

The combat mechanism basic idea is pretty simple: you choose a target, and then your ship cannons will fire at the enemy ship, near the target. The enemy will shoot your ship and destroy parts of it. If you lose your captain, you lose the game. If you destroy enemy captain, they will surrender.

Planned other features for the future: ship repairs, other ship fleeing (you must pursue them & be fast enough) and your ship fleeing (again, you must have pretty good sail).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:25:59 AM by sandfella » Logged

solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 05:05:00 AM »

Where Is the link?
sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 07:10:06 AM »

Hand Point Right http://sandfella.itch.io/voyages  Hand Point Left

dev notes:

For the past few days I've added features & tested the naval combat and of course I was certain I could get it done by the end of the day 120. Alas, this didn't happen. Currently the combat is so much work-in-progress that I decided to cut it away from this alpha version. I simply wasn't happy with its current state, but also didn't want to postpone the first release. So, here we go.

Alpha ver 0.1 basically offers few minutes of gameplay. In the next version 0.2 (Day 140, I'd say) I'll get the naval combat feature there ready for testing.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »

I was not expecting the reggae.

I may have drowned the grog master. He deserved it though, he was hoarding all of the grog.

I feel like it's a neat little concept, having it all built around dropping things on and off your raft. Currently it's pretty sedate, which is a nice change of pace. Will you be able to upgrade to bigger rafts later in the game?

What's next on the todo list?

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »

I was not expecting the reggae.

I may have drowned the grog master. He deserved it though, he was hoarding all of the grog.
Yeh, that bastard!

I feel like it's a neat little concept, having it all built around dropping things on and off your raft. Currently it's pretty sedate, which is a nice change of pace. Will you be able to upgrade to bigger rafts later in the game?

What's next on the todo list?
Definitely you'll get a real ship, quite soon actually! It's planned to happen right after the grog master scene.

Two main things next:
- ship building (it's already working pretty well, just not available in the 0.1)
- naval combat (it needs a few hugs before it works well)

...and these are the main things. After that's it's much about adding content & making all the pieces work together.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 05:18:41 AM »

- naval combat (it needs a few hugs before it works well)

You're replacing cannons with hugs? That sounds like an awesome idea!

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »

Hugs...  Shocked

It's already Day 144...
I'm aiming for Day 151 release (next Sunday, the last day of May), biggest two additions to be:
- ship building
- (randomized) naval combat & more looting

Plenty of things to do... but I think there's land ahead!

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »

Day 151... getting close to the next release

I think I sound bit like a broken record but saying anyway: still things to do & tweak. Not releasing today. But soon, soon!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic