Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:06:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Taxonomy of game art styles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Taxonomy of game art styles  (Read 1800 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

just something cool I found:

http://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-taxonomy-of-names-of-video-game-art-graphical-styles

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:15 AM »

taxonomy is a jail that tries to catch chaos of human thought. You should let your thought be free.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 02:54:05 AM »

Also, in the link Team Fortress 2 and Yggdra Union are both under the "stylised" label. Even what.
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:51:06 AM »

I don't think its possible or super helpful to classify all art styles. There's too many parameters that are constantly being added to. But, that first post is one handsome collection of various different looking games, which IS helpful and super inspirational. Cool find.

Oh god make it stop.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:22:16 AM »

I think you absolutely can. After all, we categorize regular art styles and movements. But for any system, you always acknowledge that not everything fits neatly, or at all.

I think the mistake the article makes is it confuses rendering style (pixelated, cel shaded, photo realism, etc) with art direction (noire, weird, cute, etc), insisting that a game gets categorized with only one. The second post captures this point a lot better.
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »

I agree wih those points

I mostly liked the pretty pictures Smiley
inspirational for designing art in your own game

xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »

this is a really cool find, thanks for sharing!

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »

I like a taxonomy as a map it will always be evolved and outdated the second you made it but it help to chart new destination

Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:53:40 PM »

it's an interesting discussion to be had for sure, but i feel like this article has categories that are way too broad, to the point where half of them aren't particularly useful. "stylized" doesn't exactly tell you anything when discussing a variety of unrealistic art styles, and "psychological" seems like a category included just to highlight some SMT games without having to actually describe their art styles. a lot of these categories also focus on wildly different things that aren't mutually exclusive. the "diorama" category is unified by a camera angle, whereas noir focuses on lighting, and the handicraft style focuses mostly on textures. there's no reason you couldn't combine half of these art styles with each other

imo it would be much more interesting and productive to look at more specific details such as composition, color palettes, textures, and lighting, or even looking more at the actual content like the character designs or the details in the environments, rather than lumping almost every game with pixel art together as "retro" or pretending that wind waker and the afro samurai game look even remotely similar beyond the use of cel shading

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »

Even if you don't agree with his taxonomy you have to appreciate the effort it took to compile and categorize all of that.  I think it would be very interesting if it became a wiki or some sort of timeline that we can visually see how art style evolved and what art style inspired what game, etc.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic