Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:02:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral"Turbosquid" for game developers? Advice needed!
Poll
Question: Do you need marketplace focused on game development content?
Yes!
No!
I don`t get it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Turbosquid" for game developers? Advice needed!  (Read 1197 times)
vitaliiboiko
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »

Hi TIG community,
I am doing small research and I look forward for your opinion.

Existing well known portals (turbosquid and alike) don`t have much to offer for game developers.
How about having a marketplace focused on game development content?
Or categorized for the niche it made for (casual, FPS, top-view, platformers, etc)?
How about having options and features like Substance, DDO, PSD sources and LOD`s availability?
How about upload via dropbox, googledrive, etc and versioning, storage services?

Some thoughts:

It looks like dramatic shift in content quality happening by introduction of physically based rendering (PBR), thanks to UE, Unity and

others.
Step into some kind of standardization of the materials and textures, and models as well.
Good quality for real-time graphics are rare on public marketplaces and close to nothing you can find for next-gen (PBR).
Unreal doing great job and their quality bar are too high to be published in the marketplace.
Only few marketplaces like unity or unreal have valuable assets.

I seek for your opinion and advice. Whether it make sense to build another stock platform for game development purposes or it is doesn`t make sense and value for 3d community.
Thanks!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »

you mean like the store attached to unity which 90% of people are using now?
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »

^

vitaliiboiko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:56 PM »

exactly, the only thing that such a service could have more differentiation for different purposes.
jolene
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:50:27 PM »

ppl r also already using itch.io to sell assets if it's not unity asset store, though idk if there's specific categories for it
vitaliiboiko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »

Kind of, but for very narrow niche of PBR rendering that comes to be a standard soon.
BuckieDukes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »

I don't think Turbosquid is a good place, I hate it how they force to use specific lighting, it is not creative to have to be forced to use something.. and they treat artists really bad. Their tech support is always really aggressive and rude like they are talking down to us, I just cancelled my account with them a few days ago and they said they still want to keep my work online! They want to keep making money off it even though I told them to take it down!
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »

Game Dev Market https://www.gamedevmarket.net/ already exists, it'd be better to support that instead of creating yet another place for assets. Unless you think you'd be able to create something with better features.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »

You will be met with derision or shrugging, in this topic execution and establishing relevance is everything ... especially in the face of free (but fragmented) resource other the internet (see pixel prospector for a regrouping).

The question is not about IF it's HOW, make it relevant.

And that mean assessing the need of game development of game developer, which mean being familiar with it to create appropriate solution.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic