Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:54:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Beginner to Blender 3D: Texture/Color Question
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Beginner to Blender 3D: Texture/Color Question  (Read 892 times)
Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »

Hi all! I'm trying to make a low-poly model with a paper-like texture. I unwrapped the UV and put the entire texture in there, but I'm getting this:

Note the difference in texture density on the "face", "wings" and "body". I just want a uniform texture, but I have no idea how to accomplish that.

Also, would it be possible for me to have a colorless bird in Blender, and then just change multiple colors (beak, body) in Unity's inspector (without writing my own shaders)?

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »

Currently I have solved this by importing the model into Unity 5 and setting the Albedo map. It looks like I can also change the color as I please within Unity. Please let me know if there is a better way!

Dayl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

The difference in texture density is probably because your UV islands are different scales. Try selecting all of your UV points in the UV editor and press Ctrl+A. This should average the islands scale, so that the texture will be the same density all over your model. After that you can either press Ctrl+P to automatically pack everything onto the UV space, or you can manually rearrange everything to fit properly.

As for the colors, you can make several different textures and change their color in photoshop or your image editor of choice, and then swap between them with code, but I think the way you're already doing it is probably fine for your purposes. Multiple textures is probably overkill in this case.

Hope this helps!
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:35:05 AM »

Dayl is most likely correct. As with all 3D models, you have to define the UV mapping yourself, and the layout of your UV map will determine the pixel density of your model.

Personally, I usually use the Unwrap feature in Blender. The best way to insure that this feature works effectively is to first define edge "seams". You can do this in edit mode. Switch to edge-select while in edit mode, select the edges you want to function as the unwrap seams, and make them so. Once you have your scenes defined, you can select the unwrap feature, and it will flatten out your UV map for you. By default, it flattens your UV map in such a way as to maintain consistent pixel density.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »

Ooh, I wasn't aware of the ctrl+A and ctrl+P commands, Dayl. Lovely, lovely Blender. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic