Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:47:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 or Cintiq 22HD?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 or Cintiq 22HD?  (Read 5066 times)
Kinmoku
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:45:36 AM »

Ok, so I know both the Cintiq Companion 2 and Cintiq 22HD are pretty different, but the prices are similar and I'm wondering what you guys would do in my situation.

I used to work with an iMac 27" and small Wacom intuos 3 tablet. My iMac is now 5 years old, and I wanted something portable, so I've just bought a new Macbook pro. This was £2000, so pretty pricey! Now, I am still using my intuos 3 with my new laptop, but it feels so old and laggy now and I really feel like I need to upgrade. I want a cintiq as I've tried the companion 1 before and found it so much easier to use/ reactive. I think in the long run, it will save time - I really struggle with the intuos these days...

Anyway, I use a 22" monitor alongside my laptop but I have to admit, the quality of the screen is pretty poor, especially next to my Macbook's retina display. This is why I'm thinking about getting the cintiq 22HD as it would replace my cheap monitor too. However, I really like the idea of the companion 2; being able to take it out to coffee shops, game jams, on the train etc. But I could just use a pencil and pad for that... I don't have a tablet though, so the idea of having one built into a wacom is pretty handy, but it's only 13" so I don't think it could replace my monitor. Also, I'm then looking at 3 screens on my small desk, haha!

Perhaps I've made it sound like I don't want the companion, but it's cheaper and does much more. I'd love to hear from people who use either and what your thoughts are on it. I was originally going to get the companion hybrid, but wacom haven't updated it for years now which is a shame. Also, if anyone has used the 22HD touch I'd like to know if the touch is really worth it. I imagine it maybe annoying to accidentally touch the screen whilst drawing?
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:04:14 AM »

Unfortunately I've not tried the Cintiq Companion 2 but I've been using the Surface 2 as my mobile workstation and I've liked it so far.  The 11" screen makes it so that I don't think I'd ever use that as my main machine though.

If you haven't yet found it I suggest taking a look at this blog, it's what I read before ultimately deciding on the Surface Pro 2.

http://surfaceproartist.com/

bag
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »

Hi! I haven't used the companion, but i use a cintiq 21UX (at home) and a 22hd at work. I gotta say when you go cintiq its really hard to go back, i've tried a small cintiq 11" (or was it 13?) and the amount of screen space felt really limiting when you are used to a big screen. Even a 21UX feels huge cause you sit so close too it, its basically like drawing on silky smooth A3 size paper. The double pressure levels from a intuos 3 to a cintiq 22hd feels really nice too.

Rambling on too much maybe, but i'd say you probably can't go wrong with the 22hd, could also skip the touch version if its cheaper?

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

I just got a Surface Pro 2 (the i5 8gb 256gb one), I couldn't afford the companion/cintiq prices. It doesn't have the wacom side buttons or pen tilt/rotation, but it's otherwise wacom tech, been very happy with it so far, for somethign that's less than half the price of the equivalent companion/cintiq.

keep in mind though that there are surfaces and surface pros. don't bother with the non-pros, they're just ordinary tablets that don't run windows.

You could also consider one of the huion's as cintiq alternatives
http://www.huion-tablet.com/product/

Again, no buttons or pen tilt, but at those prices, I've heard they're pretty alright (for the price)! the bigger one especially. when in doubt, youtube reviews are a good idea. overall consensus is the lack of buttons sucks a bit, and driver compatibility/pressure can sometimes be finnicky, and the screen of the cheaper model isn't great at extreme angles. but consider that they're sub $1000 poor-man's cintiqs!  Epileptic
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »

I have a Samsung ATIV 700t, and it's been nice to work with.  It's basically a slightly-better Surface Pro.  They all use the same Wacom Digitizer technology.  The Surface Pro 3 is N-Trig, which I've heard people complain about. 

It really depends on how mobile you want to be.  I've worked with Cintiqs alongside my tablet, and had no problems switching between the two, aside from the tablet PC lacking shortcut buttons on the side.  I think the Companion has those, though?  The Cintiq is going to have better color accuracy, though the tablets these days use IPS screens and are way better than the average laptop screen.

Touch on these things can be problematic, but I've found it too useful to turn off and go pen-only.  I use a glove that I've removed the thumb and first two fingers so that I can rest my hand on the tablet and not have issues when I occasionally raise the pen out of range.

However, you'll always be able to upgrade the computer your Cintiq is attached to without having to replace the Cintiq in the process.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic