Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:43:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralComicDevs thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ComicDevs thread  (Read 1700 times)
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »

Hello Fellow Tigpeople,

While being on tigsource during the past few months, I've had the opportunity to learn a lot from these forums and make a few very nice friends, and to see another -= gladly to say : a lot more friendly =- side of the internet Smiley .

Given the above said, I'm happy to share with you our newly launched comics website : http://www.comicdevs.com
and I'd like to dedicate this thread, to sharing the thoughts and comics from the site with the tigsource community - this means you ! Smiley

Comic Devs is a comic oriented towards games and gamers, and sharing moments from our lives as indie developers. By we, I mean me and the artist I closely work with for a few years, building freelance and indie games. For us, it's a very strange step as we are not necessarily that social  Who, Me?, however, we have a great deal of fun every day, and would love to share this with others.  Toast Right

I sincerely hope you guys enjoy the comic, and I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts Smiley .

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

The art is adorable, my compliments to Viverly Smiley Looking forward to the next strip!

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

jiitype
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »

A promising start! The art is super cute o3o
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »

Hey guys ! :D

Thanks a lot ^^ .

Here is the new comic :
http://comicdevs.com/pussygalore/

Socially :
we've already received a few demands for t-shirts and higher size images of the content so I can say it's going acceptably well Smiley , and our reader count for the first post surpassed 1k. Twitter has nearly no followers but the facebook page has 114 followers - truth be told, over half of these are our friends, it seems to be difficult to get people to like your page even though they enjoy the comic, either that or the design isn't that suggestive - or simply perhaps because they don't give much attention to it.

At the same time, I've realized that having a comic site is something that needs a lot of dedication. I'm not entirely certain whether this is due to us being extremely busy or it's simply the fact that it seems difficult to explain the ridiculous/really fun moments we share.

A comic is like a unpaid job that you can never be late on as your readers expect great content regularly, that is if you want it to ->possibly<- start paying you back something after 2-4 years. Well, I guess we're going to do this as long as we love it Smiley .

This post is exclusive to tigsource so you guys are highly allowed to bash us :D . GO !

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »

https://www.google.com/search?q=za+warudo&tbm=isch&imgil=7BZm9_oWn9DuJM%253A%253BKjpegv4-4ENrxM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.imegax.com%25252Fza-warudo-stand.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=7BZm9_oWn9DuJM%253A%252CKjpegv4-4ENrxM%252C_&usg=__1HUZM5b4B2ZRkEq8vyz1XGL5Buc%3D&biw=1366&bih=641&ved=0CDUQyjc&ei=OCEWVfTbC7j8sASysoDoCA#q=za%20warudo&tbm=isch&tbs=simg%3ACAQSpwEJ-VSG9MooOrIakgELELCMpwgaiAEKOggCEhTpHK4dnxeSF_1wNnRf7DccK5xC8HRogFR2bkIx377jPuW9ZxpFpoluziZZm1h3Fr3Ql3lXFd2sKSggDEhS7FMMU6AbIFP0DyxS5FJgRzBStChowl1oN5RhR7DPVnPLpYkb7ZmpWfiAYpBY8Q4T6YLW3g2Q3cgeLiS-Gn1Peo5FqbM-CDCH47Z0uKLn56Q&imgdii=_

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »

dr. no is the first in the series

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »

It's not specified whether it's a chronological list, or just a list of "from the worst to the best" ( or vice-versa ) , but yes, we thought of it in a chronological order, so many thanks for that :D had to review the list on wikipedia.

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »

New comic !
http://comicdevs.com/sleepingninjagirl/
And this one comes with a kick Smiley .

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:32:19 AM »

Hey guys ! our new comic is up.

http://comicdevs.com/presents/

Am I the only person living with a gamer girl ? would love to talk about this subject sometime Smiley

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »

New comic !

This one is about D&D so you guys might enjoy this one a bit more Smiley .
http://comicdevs.com/dndpart1/

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »

whos the second guy?
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:40:49 AM »

We can't say. Most people choose to stay anonymous, especially of the fear that they might be the victim of a comic Smiley .

For example, we have a really good friend that works at google, we plan to feature him exclusively -= please read that as : victimize him Smiley  =- in a few comics in the future, but he still needs to remain anonymous.

The_RonJones
Level 0

Ron Jones The Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 02:42:54 AM »

Kudos to you guys starting a Game/Comic brand... I hope to do the same. I admire your format

My nipples are Indie...
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:45:29 PM »

Kudos to you guys starting a Game/Comic brand... I hope to do the same. I admire your format

Thanks !
Here are a few things I'd like to share from our experience so far, I hope these might be useful to you in any way Smiley .

Creating comics - is easy. Creating GOOD comics - is not that easy. We have a few internal reviews before posting, and sometimes we redo the panels if we think the comic is not fun enough. We even scratched entire comics because even though the idea and concept were really fun, it didn't come out right.

If you're a highly hectic-desireful person like we are -= we work 10-14 h/day =- you might get stumped into your work and find it hard to find the time to do a comic, so what you should do is - be 4-5 comics ahead of the site, so you can always keep up with it. We have a day/week where all Vivi does is gain a great attitude and build comics for the site.
It's somewhat difficult for her to switch between 2d and 3d considering that she is a manic extremely talented 3d Artist :D -= she's not here when I'm writing this Smiley truth is, she's really good, but 3d obsessed =- .
What I'm trying to say is : expect that you'll have to make room for the comic in your life. Like a regular job/task that takes a few hours/week, that might interconnect with your regular job.

Regarding the site : you may start your comic site in wordpress and build a fanbase then move out to a fully fledged site once you have the followers and/or support. Sites like Tapastic.com have the possibility to financially help you since google ads takes a long time to get accepted/show up, and other ads - like project wonderful pay far too little,  all in all don't expect ANY funding for a long period of time.
The building and updating costs : our website costs about 60$/year, and it cost me 45$ to put everything up - and our time building it. The time we spend on it after the launch, considering we'd be paid minimum wage of 10$/hour... would be around 600$/month.

Going social - Social networks are difficult to become popular on, the one that works best for us is reddit, however, just in case, keep your twitter, pinterest, facebook, stumbleupon nearby. There's a lot of social work to get the comic out there. Don't expect too many visitors on the days when you don't post comics or go social. Google doesn't help that much.
Also we don't spam threads all over the net, just this one here on tigsource Smiley , but if you really want to become highly popular, you might want to do that - at the risk of annoying/being loved by different communities.

Above all - if you really feel like doing the comic, do it for yourself. We look at our comics and we laugh, we enjoy it. We're not getting that much out of it, there's no funding and it's work and time that we put in, that most people don't appreciate , but looking back, we really love it - and that's the most important thing Smiley .

I hope this helps, and best of luck ! Smiley

The_RonJones
Level 0

Ron Jones The Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »

I hope this helps, and best of luck ! Smiley

Awesome man... great insight!! Check out some of my shorts on my website RonJonesTheArtist.com

Would love some feedback!! and for us to follow each other on Twitter to stay in touch

My nipples are Indie...
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:26:51 PM »

Hey Ron, sorry but this thread's not for reviews Smiley . Make a new thread and PM me the link, I'll be happy to give you some insight.

Twitter : @comicdevs

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »

Seems I didn't update this in a while ! must... fix...

The new comic is one that everybody who's been in a competition or under a short belt deadline should enjoy Smiley .
http://comicdevs.com/gamedevcomp/
Actually this one happened to us IRL in October 2013.

Cheers ! Smiley

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »

Hey guys !
Here is the new comic :
http://comicdevs.com/multiplepersonality/

Merchandise question : does anybody have any experience regarding setting up t-shirt online stores in the US ? we've found a few places online that would do the job for us, however, the shirts would cost 40$ and give us 5$ in return ( not exempt of tax ), which seems like robbery to me.

I'm thinking that if we could find someone that produces t-shirts and can deliver them, it would be a great help, but not sure where to look.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic