Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:30:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPacm̬̦̩̹̌͢a̪͓̮̼͍̗͑̿ͫn̛̥͈ͅ - A dark twist on an old classic
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pacm̬̦̩̹̌͢a̪͓̮̼͍̗͑̿ͫn̛̥͈ͅ - A dark twist on an old classic  (Read 3069 times)
Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »

My latest game is essentially a "horror-fied" pacman clone with some unique mechanics. Mainly that you can only see what PacMan can see. The ghost mechanics are different too, which hopefully makes it a fun experience despite the ancient core gameplay.

A ROM of an apparently damaged game board found locked in a safe in the back of an old arcade. Gameplay appears relatively consistent with the classic "PacMan". Primary differences are:

• Player cannot see what PacMan cannot see
  • Ghosts behaviors are... unique.
  • Players who are unable to finish the original arcade game board suffer severe psychological and occasionally physiological trauma, up to and including death of the subject (ROM's effect is significantly reduced).

Controls

Enter/Space: Emulate coin deposit

WASD/Arrows: Move PacMan

M: Mute audio

Update:

Apparently Firefox and IE are having issues with the WebGL in the game. So I added the option to disable the CRT effect with 'G'. If that doesn't help and it still won't work, I made a windows version that you can download on either Itch.io or Gamejolt.

I also fixed an bug where SCREAMY (Red Ghost) occasionally got stuck, and the power pill animation no longer freezes when the player dies.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:23:11 AM by Berick » Logged

There are no limits for those that see no limits
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »

That's cool that you were able to use those funky letters in the game title. That's a trick I haven't really seen much of. I'm impressed.

Right now I'm trying to explore more levels to get a feel for the gameplay. I'm going to have to download it because the screen keeps scrolling on my browser when I hold down the arrow keys (up and down). Somehow the input starts going to the browser (Chrome). The CRT effect is cool.
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »

That red ghost on level 2 is nice and freaky. I can't wait to see more.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »

I'm going to have to download it because the screen keeps scrolling on my browser when I hold down the arrow keys (up and down).

I was having the same problem, but just use W-A-S-D instead if you can.

There are a lot of cool little details to this game.

Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:03 PM »

Update:

Additional Repairs were completed on original arcade PCB sections K-2 thru L-9.

Techinician Casualties: L. Basker (Suicide. Note left by Basker indicates connection with project.)

New ROM compiled. Noticable changes:

• Ghosts now emit a faint sound when in proximity of the player.
  • Level 6 anomaly now occurs on Level 5.
  • "Game Over" screen anomaly no longer consistent.
  • Windows compatible download now begins in full screen. Appears to substantially increase subject immersion.

-END OF REPORT

Thank you Boder and Quicksand-T!

Boder: As Quicksand-T said you can also use W/A/S/D or if you tap the arrow in the direction you want to go and PacMan will move that direction as soon as he is able.

OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 01:08:52 AM »

Isn't this a blatant copyright violation?
Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:14:24 AM »

It would be if I were attempting to sell it, but it's just a free fan game.

OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:26:57 AM »

except you have a 'support this game' link on the page which means you are attempting to monetize it.

also you don't have to sell something for it to be a copyright violation.
Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 02:00:31 AM »

That is a good point about the "support this game" link on Itch.io! While the game is listed as free, that button would allow people to pay for the game if they so chose (which could be problematic!). It's a default feature of the site that I neglected to disable. I've corrected that, thank you.

It is true that Namco could send me a cease and desist letter, as is their right as original IP owners. And if they do I would oblige.

OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 02:01:49 AM »

They could also sue you...

I wont comment anymore not trying to tear you down, but you are leaving yourself wide open for a lawsuit.

Best of luck.
Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:03:36 AM »

I don't take it as tearing down. I take it as friendly concern, and I appreciate it.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 02:16:45 AM »

I'm glad to hear that I thought I was coming off pretty negative, it is indeed friendly concern, my game is a remake as well (of AutoDuel) but I was careful not to use the same name or art assets (art assets not a problem in my case, autoduels ancient art is a big reason for me remaking it).

It's not just the itch.io page though, the gamejolt page has advertisements which is again monetization, you absolutely could get sued and wind up losing a lot of money instead of making some.

I suggest reading this article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131623/myths_and_facts_in_avoiding_.php
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:12:49 AM »

Are the ghosts blind too? Not sure what the unique behavior is (played through 1.5 levels), but the original Pacman had ingenious emergent AI http://gameinternals.com/post/2072558330/understanding-pac-man-ghost-behavior.

I like the glitchy effects. itch scrolls down when I press down, obscuring the game sometimes.

It feels sparse with only 1 ghost on the first level. Difficult to tell when my powerup runs out -- very obvious with the blink rates in OP (original pacman). I like that the powerup shows you the whole level.

It would be nice to get some feel for where the ghosts are -- like a haunting sound that played when you passed in the same X or Y plane as them. Something you could deduce but not.. exactly. Like a growl in the night.

Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:26:40 AM »

Thanks for the feedback quantumpotato!

The first ghost is named "Blindy" and yes, he's effectively blind. Wandering around the map aimlessly. I originally had complex AI behavior similar to the original, but scrapped it because without being able to see where the ghosts were it was EXTREMELY difficult. The other 3 ghost's behavior is completely different and not like the original at all.

For controls, you can use W/A/S/D or tap the arrow key in the direction you want pacman to go and he'll move that way as soon as he's able.

The sparsity of the first level is intentional. To allow the player to adapt to the new view restrictions. The powerups do flash before going out, similar to the original.

There is a very subtle electrical "buzz" when a ghost is close to you that gets louder the closer they are. Perhaps too subtle?

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »

Thanks for the feedback quantumpotato!

The first ghost is named "Blindy" and yes, he's effectively blind. Wandering around the map aimlessly. I originally had complex AI behavior similar to the original, but scrapped it because without being able to see where the ghosts were it was EXTREMELY difficult. The other 3 ghost's behavior is completely different and not like the original at all.

For controls, you can use W/A/S/D or tap the arrow key in the direction you want pacman to go and he'll move that way as soon as he's able.

The sparsity of the first level is intentional. To allow the player to adapt to the new view restrictions. The powerups do flash before going out, similar to the original.

There is a very subtle electrical "buzz" when a ghost is close to you that gets louder the closer they are. Perhaps too subtle?

Didn't quite notice it, more volume or rhythm variation maybe? Cool stuff. Hope you keep developing.

harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »

I was never a fan of the "glitchy" aesthetic, but I love the limited vision effect. It really accentuates the cramped feel of the maze as anything could be in the shadows so you can never be sure you're truly safe. Neat game!
Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »

Hello there!

I just wanted to let you know,

Overall, I liked it, but I felt like you could have done more and pushed the horror theme further.  It seemed like after the 5th level, you've seen all there is to see, but I'm sure more can be done.  Keep at it! :D

Pixdeo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »

Nice graphics, it doesn't work in Safari though, Chrome Ok, just the scroll problem pressing key down.

http://Pixdeo.com - HTML5 and native Mobile Games, this is my DevLog
Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »

Thanks Quantumpotato, I'll up the volume and see if that helps.

Thanks for playing harkme, especially since you don't care for the aesthetic!

Highsight, I watched your whole video. You did a great job of figuring out the behaviors of the new ghosts (the ghosts AI originally mirrored the original pacman, but their intelligence combined with the limited view made it practically impossible to win even with only 2 ghosts!), and congrats on getting past level 5. You're correct that there is nothing more at this time. I have a couple more ideas to try though.

As for pushing the horror theme, all of the horror events are random so that they are unpredictable. There are several more horror events that did not occur during your playthough. I think I'll try increasing their occurrence rate, but it's a fine line to dance. Too rare and many players will never see them. Too often and they get repetitive and boring! If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks Pixdeo, I've heard that Safari doesn't like it :/ Glad Chrome worked for you. You can also play with W/A/S/D controls.

Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:29 AM »

Well honestly, going into this game, I expected there to be an actual "end" to the game.  I understand that you are going for a "corrupted Pacman ROM" feel, but let's face it, you threw that out the window when you started having the little pacman life icons have devil horns on them. Tongue

No, I think you should take this possessed ROM thing one step further, and make it a full on simulation of the game trying to steal your soul.  You could add subtle little hints in that something is far less right than normal, such as the ROM doing things that its hardware wouldn't even support.  You've already done that by having the random screaming sometimes and such, but you can even do a less rare thing such as the ghosts whispering demonically when they are near every now and then instead of emitting static.  When people expect something because they have gotten used to it, they notice little unsettling changes like that.

Perhaps the "lives" in the game no longer mean anything after a certain point, perhaps the entire original game concept and goal fades away after 6-7 levels in, and it changes altogether.  You still control Pacman, there are still ghosts, but the map starts directing you towards certain death, and you have to reach the only pellet at the end to move on.

These are all just very loose thoughts, and nothing more, but the overarching thing I am getting at is, you are really constricting yourself too much by sticking so strictly to being just a Pacman fangame.  It works at the start, but there's just so much more that can be done here as the game progresses.  Strange as it may be sound, I'd almost recommend you create a second game based around the concept of a Pacman like game that morphs more and more into a a 4th wall breaking experience of you fighting against the machine itself for your soul.  Not the soul of the character mind you, but the soul of the one playing the character.

Just my two cents, if you want more analysis like this, I suggest you check my sig. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic