Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:08:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallA Pixel Story - Out Now On Steam
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Pixel Story - Out Now On Steam  (Read 930 times)
Ungooly
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »

Hey everyone  Smiley.

So we at Lamplight Studios are releasing our very first game EVER!  And it's available on Steam Now! You can find it at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339460/

A few facts about the game for you:

- Action-Puzzle-Platform game
- 4 different art styles to map the evolution of games over time
- 6 Large free-form worlds for the player to explore
- 15 intense 'challenge rooms' that will push your skills/sanity to the brink

Trailer via youtube:

Steam Page:          http://store.steampowered.com/app/339460/

We began making the game for a competition back in 2012 (Dare to be Digital) just as a prototype.  It won a few awards there, one being nominated for a BAFTA. The other was Channel 4's £25,000 investment to finish the game and give it to the public.  And now here we are, finally, with something that has snowballed it's way along. Giggle  It's drained our very souls.  Who, Me?

Please let us know what your thoughts/expectations are on it.  We've been curled up in a dark room for many years, we need to socialize with the public!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:03:15 AM by Ungooly » Logged
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:20:07 AM »

Congratulations folks! Really Great work. I'll make sure to give a shout out on the day. Good luck!

Ungooly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »

Thank you alex, means a lot to us  Smiley  Let us know your thoughts on it when you get a chance to play, we love good ol' feedback  Beer!
Ungooly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 04:03:08 AM »

So A Pixel Story has been out a few days now, and so far we've had a really positive response from the community, and no huge bugs that melt faces (that's not to say there have been none, mind you).

The game was initially developed at a competition in Scotland called "Dare to be Digital", an international event, where 15 teams compete over 9 weeks to create a game. Out of those 15 (against teams from Finland, China, Spain, Ireland) we were elected one of the 3 winners, and off the back of that received a BAFTA nomination (and totally met Gabe Newell, which was a life bucket list item ticked off).

Either way, Dare ended in August 2012, so we did a bit of a retrospective looking back at visually how the game has changed from our first build to our last. These posts were first on Twitter, but for the sake of posterity I'm going to put them up here too, except rather than the RIDICULOUS character limit provided by twitter, here I can afford a bit more exposition about each one:

Our game's intro, Originally the player slid in from the black more as a white square, the separations between our generations were physical lines that would upgrade you.

Our intro is now a bit more cinematic, with a cursory look at what you have to look forward to aesthetically throughout the game, with the character allegorically washing up on the shore for a new beginning. We also made it so we now don't have button tutorial images that make me want to puke.

Whilst our "8-bit" (I put this in quotes because we're quite clearly taking some liberties) is a lot more strict in our original development, in our opinion it also looks like complete arse. We did originally work with NES and then SNES palettes. It takes a lot of skill to work with such a limited colour range and achieve good results, though.

We decided we could use narrative and other techniques to emhphasise the relative simplicity. It's a small subtlety, but a lot of our "8-bit" assets are quite geometric, lots of right angles. We also avidly try to avoid particle systems throughout "8-bit", whilst we didn't manage to stick to this completely, the majority of our effects are sprites that animate at 12 FPS.

(In case you're wondering it's the image on the left that's the new one)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:32:31 AM by Ungooly » Logged
Ungooly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »

Continuing on from the last post

This is our "Hat Scene" one of our more "iconic" scenes perhaps. And it's one that carried over from the old Dare submission, and still bears a lot in common with that. Admittedly, the old version does somewhat still engage my gag reflex, I composed most of the scene myself as I do most of the cinematics, and there are elements of it that make me want to punch myself in the face. I'm sure I'll  look back on the current scene in a few years and feel the same way, some indication that things have developed at least, and heck, one may even be getting slightly better at what one does... maybe.

Team-wide there is also a certain amount of horror that the hat was ever allowed to exist in such a form. It looks like some kind of road kill in our Dare version, I made that game and I don't understand what the hell it is. It's always been a subject of contention within the team (it's meant to be a dickensian street urchin style, because we saw our character a bit like Oliver Twist, being exposed to a large cruel world, but that might be lost on people who just think it's Fez + Mario) The funny part about this is (well somewhere between funny and tragic) is that we hadn't seen Fez, at all when we started development. We had mentors coming in, seeing the hat scene and saying "Oh I can see the fez inspiration" and we had to sheepishly admit none of us had an Xbox and thus hadn't had a chance to look at it.

We also had the issue that in the game we had built the button command into the environment (That giant X on the right is actually a prompt to press X) Firstly, it was scary how many people initially didn't even slightly get the prompt, despite a very large flashing X being above their head and them holding an Xbox pad, but also when it came to using a keyboard, and the prompt was still an X button, but the "use hat" button was shift... well... that didn't work out great.

The seagulls that are so prevalent in the left image were spawned originally out of a way to push the character on at the beginning. In the prototype, the lead up to the hat scene was about 30 seconds of gameplay, a minute tops, and that was all of "8-bit". The hat scene in the Dare submission took place in the "16-bit". I originally wanted the same to occur, as I didn't want to use lights in 8-bit, and I REALLY wanted to use lighting for the scene.

Bearing in mind that Generation 1 ("8-bit" in quotes because it's clearly cheating) is now 2 levels long, each with probably a good hour of gameplay in, that didn't make much sense. And with the "no lighting in Gen1" it was a nice thought but it was making a random and obscure rod for our own backs that I doubt 85% of people would even notice/care about. As much as it hurt my soul, we threw a few sparing light in generation 1 in the end, the hat scene being the primary culprit.

To get back to explaining the seagulls, we wanted each level to be about a mechanic, the second was using the hat, and the first would be about just getting to grips with the minutiae of our character controller. Meaning an entire level still without the primary mechanic of our game, so it would appear to most like a very dry platformer. We decided we would try and entice players with the hat at the beginning, only for it to be stolen by a rogue gull. The player would then be driven towards the hat scene more rapidly by chasing the gull, rather than dawdling around looking at the environment. Where would a gull take a prized possession, why back to its nest of course, the LOGICAL conclusion was to make that nest a mountain top temple dedicated for unknown reasons to the gulls themselves.

It worries me a little exactly how able I am to waffle about a single picture of our game, I suppose some things do go in after 3 years of working on the same thing day in day out.

Again, just in case anyone's curious, the image on the left is the new one, I hope that's obvious.
Ungooly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 04:55:34 AM »

This is a scene from our 3rd level in the Dare to be Digital build. It's also our 3rd level in the full release, and yet, in the full game the 3rd level is actually the dare build's 2nd and 3rd level stitched together, and we've added in another stage between our first level and this one. Useful information to know? Not at all, confusing as hell? Probably, but just a vaguely amusing note. That's what I thought at least but I'm half deranged after 12 hours days at 6 days a week for 2 years so what do I know? More about Unity than when I started if you must ask. But you didn't, so let's just continue.

Long story short you might not get the full impression from the image as we can't capture the full area, but this puzzle actually works out identically in both versions of our game. In the D2BD version it was our favourite visual area in the entire demo, and oddly enough I think the general consensus is certainly the same for the full game. The improvements include but at not necessarily limited to:

- No longer having a chain that has no justification at all as to where it's coming from.
- No longer highly saturated floating islands in the background that you think might be platforms
- At least 372% more mech.

One thing that I do miss from our Dare build is the teleporter mechanic. If you look slightly to the left of our little guy on the right half of the image (the Dare build) you'll see some kind of cog contraption with yellow lines coming out of it. This was an item that if interacted with would teleport you to a matching paired teleporter (you can see it just below). It was used for a few puzzles, but generally it was our design methodology for giving the player the option to get out when they were stuck. It ended up being a bit odd to have a mechanic that only existed for failing, and probably a sign of bad design, so we scrapped it. Most of what it achieved could be done with what we call ghost platforms, which you can jump through the bottom of but not go back down through. A remnant of the teleporters kind of got absorbed into our checkpoint system (which you can use to teleport around the map in the full game).

I do still really miss the visuals and the sound for them, the player would deconstruct into little squares and kind of "de-rez" and be built back up upon returning, it was super cool, you'll just have to take my word (or far too many words) for it. One thing I always note when looking back at this build also, is how rapidly the floating platforms in the background bob. If they are indeed as large as the image is meant to give the impression of (very large and very far away) then the rate at which they are descending and ascending would be terrifying. As a brief thought experiment (because this is definitely how I make the best use of my time at work) I thought I would roughly calculate how fast they are moving.

- I had always imagined them roughly 2km or so across, fairly large sky islands.
- In width they probably occupy 6 in game metres visually. Meaning we can attribute each gameplay metre to be about 333 world metres.
- The islands bob up and down by 2 metres every 2 seconds, with a flat bezier curve at each end meaning over that time it's travelling over half a kilometre, going from a full stop to full speed to full stop again. Over this time it will reach a peak speed of more than 700 mph with an acceleration/deceleration of more than twice that per second.
- Whilst not well versed in the area, I am fairly sure that at this speed any character ill fated enough to reside on one of these islands would pass out instantly.
- All in all this leaves me with a fairly distinct feeling of guilt for whatever entity we have doomed to such an existence. Luckily we tamed it down in the finished build and the denizens of these islands should no longer be leading a life of constant comatose/torment.

For a long time the mech used in the puzzle was meant to be a precursor to a fully built one that would be used later in the level, but it took a long time to get together due to other areas of the game taking priority. The general story of the 3rd level (what we call 2-1 as it's the first level of the second generation) is meant to be present through a lot of abandoned machinery littered throughout the region, this mech was a first sign of that.

We did eventually get the fully built mech in, but the hunger then came to make some kind of Rocket Knight esque mech platforming scene, as deadlines drew closer however it became heart breakingly apparent that wasn't ever even slightly going to happen. With the closing weeks however we did manage to make something of it, a small bonus that we're fairly happy with, but it's a secret, so I shan't say.

I'm sure there's a lot more I could say about all the small little details involved in this scene and the plethora of development stories that come out of them, but for the sake of anyone reading at this point, I shall stop there.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic