Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:29:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGame ideas for extremely limited display size and user input...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game ideas for extremely limited display size and user input...  (Read 1861 times)
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:21 AM »

Hi,

I'm kinda crazy. Let's get that out of the way first.

Anyhow. I'm looking for game ideas that I can build on the following hardware:
* 128x64 black&white pixel display
* A rotary button with a single push
So, I have only rotating left&right and a single push as input.
CPU time, memory and other constrains are no issue. Got enough of that.

So, with that hardware, I want to build a game. Why? Because that's the hardware I'm working on at my main job right now. And there is room for a mighty easter-egg.

Now, I've though of the obvious games, like tetris, pong/break-out, space-invaders. But building those isn't really a challenge for me, and I'm looking for a bit of a challenge. But I'm having trouble thinking up ideas that fit in the limited input and output capabilities.

However, I'm quite sure someone here will have some mighty wild idea :D

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:37:50 AM »

Perhaps you could draw some inspiration from the old Nintendo Game & Watch series.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »

A tower defense game where you spin the button to switch between land plots and where you rotate the button while it's pressed to upgrade them into buildings of different kinds. Make sure that the maps are made in a way that allows the lands/buildings to be selected intuitivelly. Also, make the upgrade menu circular.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »

It looks like it would be very easy for you to make a one button game, like space is key etc.
But I'd love to see a strategy game like those old PC games that didn't use a mouse  and you had no idea what those 8bit symbols meant! Smiley

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »

A tower defense game where you spin the button to switch between land plots and where you rotate the button while it's pressed to upgrade them into buildings of different kinds. Make sure that the maps are made in a way that allows the lands/buildings to be selected intuitivelly. Also, make the upgrade menu circular.
That's actually a good idea Smiley for the map, I can make it linear where you can just select spaces only on the side of the track.

Fast single button keys won't really work that well, due to the button being a pretty strong click button, which hinders fast reaction time.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »

- rpg is always safe
- racing games obviously see pole position
- endless runner see racing games above
- strategy games but the tug of war subgendra (left side of rotation is selecting upgrade to build, right side is lane select to enter units selection).
- resident evil tank control like
- turret fps
- puzzle bobble
- ? ? ?
- any genre actually, even mass effect with dialog wheel (select direction to interact and push to confirm with affordances that tell action, if enemy fire, if place move, etc ... for the action adventure sequences)
- PROFIT

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »

The display is less of an issue than you might think, depending on your background... Consider all the games for TI graphing calculators, which are 96x64: there are even a couple of Wolfenstein-likes.

So it's more of a control issue. But yeah, rotate left/right with a slow button is quite limited.

Hmm...what about a 2D marble-rolling game? Rotate the world, or press the button to flip gravity 180 degrees? You'd probably have to limit the speed pretty severely, with the small display (and most of those small displays are fairly slow refresh rate too, aren't they?). Maybe you're rolling a tar-ball? Wink

Good luck! Sounds like much fun.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

What's the resolution of the rotary control?
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 05:54:51 AM »

What's the resolution of the rotary control?
20?

You have better control then a mouse-wheel, but less then an actual mouse.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic