Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:46:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame Design Dissection: GALAGA!! The game that NEVER gets old.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Design Dissection: GALAGA!! The game that NEVER gets old.  (Read 1870 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »

The quick scoring instruction plays. It does it's demo loop. Hordes of enemies, following a few variations of a few simple patterns fly in from outside of the screen, in exciting-to-chase-and-shoot waves, and then they take formation at the top of the screen, their menacing presence being made aware to the player, and they await, patiently, vulnerably, for the sequence to complete. And then they are united, and the level begins.

*DEEDLY DEEDLY deedly deedly dee.* One of them takes the offensive, given one of the maybe five different routes available, based on the creature type. You KNOW what it's gonna do by now. But it does it anyways. Whether it's zigzagging down upon you, making a sweep at the bottom of the screen, splitting up into 3 pieces to dart at you, taking a loop-de-loop with it's reinforcements, or swooping down for a capture. All that changes is the starting position they take it from. But it's still enough - it's always enough to keep you on your toes. It's always enough to get you pinned in the corner. To catch you with a stray shot from afar. It's always *just* enough.

The tractor beam? That thing's not hard to dodge. It's not hard to avoid. It's an easy shot for killing a Boss Galaga. But WHAT FUN IS THAT!? You WANT that tractor beam, you WANT to be taken hostage. YOU WANT THAT EFFING DOUBLE SHIP!! And you will risk your virtual life - quite literally - to get it; in an exchange of purely-scripted space drama. And why would you do that? Double the trouble? Double the fun? Double the problems dodging the firepower and formations? MAYBE.

And then, the moment you've finally waited for. For two whole stages, and then every four thereafter. Which, if you think about it, is a *really* freakin' weird way of doing that. THE CHALLENGING STAGE!! Absolutely no harm to/upon the player, just fun tracks of enemies to chase and shoot. CHASE and SHOOT. Chase down and shoot with your double-shot, double-ship. And that ever-elusive Perfect Score bonus for the stage.

It's been a part of this earth for as long as *I* have. It's not graphically relevant, and yet still holds this place of "space opera superiority." There's hundreds of imitators, straight-up copies. The concept has been expanded upon and revisited a thousand different ways, easily.

YET!

THIS GAME seems to NEVER get old. Never gets boring. It never needs anything added to it. It never needs updated graphics. It never needs a reinventing, or even a soundtrack at all, apart from the iconic, 8-second opening jingle. EIGHT SECONDS.

It is simply put, the "Tetris" of space-shooters - and before Tetris.

...discuss!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:44:49 AM by baconman » Logged

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »

While Galaga didn't really *need* a soundtrack, the addition of music to the challenge stages in Galaga '88 makes me laugh out loud to this day.  IT'S GALACTIC DANCIN'!
mondo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »

One of the things that stands out to me is that Galaga (I think) is the first game to allow you to upgrade your character. Getting to a double ship isn't a power up - it's an actual upgrade (even if contextually it's you stealing back your ship). The risk and reward are high. You have double the fire power but you also have double the hit area making it a bit more scary.

Galaga is one of my most favorite games. It's also one of my most favorite single screen games ever.

Mondo
http://gmentor.com/

Mondo
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic