Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:57:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Greenlit][Kickstarter] Dark Flame
Poll
Question: What do you think of this game?
Awesome! I'd back it!
Looks good. I'll check it out when it's finished.
Still needs work.
Dumb. Stop what you're doing right now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Greenlit][Kickstarter] Dark Flame  (Read 3362 times)
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »

[UPDATE - 12 September 2015]

This game has been significantly improved since my last post!

First of all, Dark Flame has been Greenlit! I will be starting a Kickstarter campaign on October 1st this year! I will also be releasing a new version of the pre-alpha demo to go alongside the start of the Kickstarter campaign.

Description:
A beautiful 2D ARPG throwback to retro greats. Dark Flame brings you the perspective of a knight who must battle the horrific conveyance of unknown evil that has overtaken his order. Featuring large, hand-crafted environments, tailored gameplay, and an armoire of weapons, armor, and magic, the game blends classic with new to bring a unique experience!

Story:
You play the role of Taharial; a crusader in the midst of the Batlic Crusades. Upon discovering a mysterious onset of insanity by unknown causes among his brothers, Taharial set's forth to purge the area of evil and persevere through the dark possessive powers before all is lost in chaos.

Game Features:
-The Pyre Concept that allows the player to modify weapons and spells
-A unique leveling system that allows the player to level their own stats
-A diverse storyline where you struggle between what is right and wrong
-Different cosmetic appearances with weapons and armor
-Hidden rooms and secrets
-Unlockable talents and hidden powers

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
Steam

[UPDATE - 21 July 2015]

Hello everybody, I just wanted to drop a couple of updated screenshots of the new work in progress. Dark Flame's graphics are being significantly improved! Once I'm finished, I'll release a new Pre-Alpha build for all of you to play! If this looks like something you're interested in, please vote for Dark Flame on Steam Greenlight here!

[UPDATE - 7 July 2015]

Vote for Dark Flame on Steam Greenlight!

[UPDATE - 2 July 2015]

I have just released a Pre-Alpha (Playable) Demo on my IndieDB site! This is just a preview of what I'm planning on creating!

Note:  This version is only available for Windows PC at this time (sorry)

[UPDATE - 30 June 2015]

Check out the new video on YouTube

If you haven't voted for Dark Flame on the Square Enix Collective, you can still do so at http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/144/dark-flame!

[UPDATE - 21 June 2015]

Dark Flame has just been launched on the Square Enix Collective! If you're interested, please take the time to vote and/or provide feedback on the game. Thank you for your time!

Vote Now! at http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/144/dark-flame

[UPDATE - 11 June 2015]

DarkFlame is about to go through a feedback phase with the Square Enix Collective. The purpose of this is to receive as much feedback possible and gain momentum before launching a Kickstarter campaign. Please take the time to vote whether you would back this game on via crowdsource. Also, any feedback is useful! Thanks!

DarkFlame will be launched on Square Enix Collective on 22 June 2015!

Removed .gif

[UPDATE - 22 May 2015]

Here's my current start menu. Currently adding in new SFX along with other features... let me know what you think!

Removed .gif

[UPDATE - 17 May 2015]

I am suspending the Kickstarter launch for at least a month. I'm going to let IGA's Kickstarter die down before I start mine. I don't wish to compete with a full blown studio. I will post again when I get my date.

[UPDATE]

I have less than two weeks before I was going to launch my Kickstarter campaign and would like some feedback on this situation... Igarashi (the co-producer of Castlevania: SOTN) just launched a Kickstarter campaign for a new -vania type game. I'm thinking "Awesome!" but at the same time "Oh no" because I think it's going to make my game look unappealing compared to it. So my question was - should I stick with my original timeline of May 25th to launch my Kickstarter or should I push it back another month (after IGA's Kickstarter ends)? Do you think my campaign will fail due to this? Would it have as much of an impact as I think it would? I am eager to hear your feedback! Thanks!

v/r,
Warren

[ORIGINAL MESSAGE]

Hey all,

I'm new into the indie gaming community and have been strongly practicing my introverted, cave-dwelling hobby that is DarkFlame. For more about me, check out my Obligatory Introduction: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.msg1124355#msg1124355 or my website: www.DarkFlameGame.com.

I'm setting up a poll to see if anybody would be interested in this and I am also wondering if you have any feedback/tips on how to create a fanbase. I already know that I will need crowd-funding (Kickstarter) and want to (try to) guarantee I will be successful. I'm already budgeting things out to see how much I would need to pay others for their work (artists/programmers/musicians) and am curious as to how much more overhead I would need to factor in as well.

Thank you for your time/considerate feedback!

v/r,
Warren

Here's a short video of the game's engine as it stands now:

Here's a couple screenshots of the game:

Removed .gif

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DarkFlameGame
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BorishDugdum

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:52:07 PM by DarkFlame » Logged
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »

Since most people don't like to venture away from sites - here's a short .gif I made of some of the gameplay so far.

Removed .gif to speed up page
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:06:52 PM by DarkFlame » Logged
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:48:59 AM »

oo so many symphony of the night feels Tongue

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »

oo so many symphony of the night feels Tongue

Definitely going for that! Grin
adriantalens
Level 0

nocturnal audio wiz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »

Hey I'm a huge symphony of the night fan. This looks really good. I hope many aspects such as the main character is a placeholder though. Imo it would be in bad taste to do a kickstarter with assets that are mainly recolored sprites like Alucard from sotn.

Adrian Talens
Composer & Sound Designer
Soundcloud
Twitter
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »

Hey I'm a huge symphony of the night fan. This looks really good. I hope many aspects such as the main character is a placeholder though. Imo it would be in bad taste to do a kickstarter with assets that are mainly recolored sprites like Alucard from sotn.

Hey Adrian,
I appreciate your concern about the similarities of the main characters sprite sheet. At no point did I copy/paste/recolor works from another game. I did, however , refer to Alucards sprite sheet for art style and cape movements when I first started creating the character. I do think it might be a little too similar so I've been tweaking over time. I do want to hire an artist to redo/touch up everything but I cannot do so until I get the proper funding.
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »

Removed .gif
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:48:56 PM by DarkFlame » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »

Videogame posted to Tigsource Forums!

DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »

I added a new question in regards to the development of this game. Please refer to the top post for the [UPDATE]
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »

Another update - attached to front page.
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »

[UPDATE - 11 June 2015]

Attached to front page!
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »

[UPDATE - 21 June 2015]

Attached to front page!
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »

[UPDATE - 30 June 2015]

Attached to front page!
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »

The video is kind of eeeeeh......  the game looks very fluid and seems solid. but honestly graphics are still like placeholders. the bit of dialogue was awkward ,  it doesn't feel like enemies are dangerous at all.

and this is really bad

the coolest thing here is the little knight who says I VOTED. the pixel art is superior to the rest.

DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »

The video is kind of eeeeeh......  the game looks very fluid and seems solid. but honestly graphics are still like placeholders. the bit of dialogue was awkward ,  it doesn't feel like enemies are dangerous at all.

and this is really bad

the coolest thing here is the little knight who says I VOTED. the pixel art is superior to the rest.

bakkusa,

Thanks for your honest opinion. My main focus up to this point was trying to create a solid engine. You are correct about the graphics being like placeholders. The dialogue was written up just for testing the demo on my engine and the enemies don't seem dangerous when you have powerful spells at your disposal.

Keep in mind, though, that this is a pre-Kickstarter campaign! I don't have all the time, funding, assets that a normal project would that is in development (I am a solo developer). My SQEX Collective is to gain supporters who will help support my future crowdfunding campaign so I can fix things like my "placeholder graphics" and start working more on creating environments and balancing spells/enemies/etc.

The little dude saying "I voted" was drawn by a professional artist and not me - that's probably why he looks way better than my other assets Wink All my assets can have that kind of detail if my campaigns are successful.
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »

[UPDATE - 2 July 2015]

Attached to front page!
DarkFlame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »

[UPDATE - 7 July 2015]

Attached to front page!