Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:21:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDon't install FileZilla!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Don't install FileZilla!  (Read 1315 times)
Interactionman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:31 AM »

Just a quick warning to my fellow gamedevs - if you're looking for an FTP client for some reason, don't download FileZilla. I just did from their official 'recommended' download link from their own homepage and had my PC infected with 3rd party BS browser hijacker crap which has been a pain to remove.

I'm not even 100% sure I got rid of everything yet and there was no option to take it or leave it as there is with browser addons from other software installs, it just installs itself without telling you and takes over your browsers.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:14:17 AM »

windows™

Don't forget to tell FileZilla devs, tho. Something's out of the ordinary, obviously. FileZilla is not a malware program. Undecided Better notify them so they can fix it.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:55:47 AM »

SourceForge turned to the dark side of malware bundling their installer some time ago. The FileZilla dev is aware of this and acting like a total ass (blaming users when the installer is clearly being deceptive):

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32945

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 05:48:34 AM »

First Download.com, now SourceForge? Shameful.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:12:14 AM »

download.com sounds inherently malwarious by its very name tho

also wow that thread, that botg person, wtf

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »

Yes, the whole SourceForge thing had been called out long ago, it's the main reason why there was a small exodus towards Savannah when that happened (FSF's equivalent of SourceForge). It's still safe when only downloading source code or libraries and such, but full-blown installable programs? Forget it.

EDIT: goddammit laptop don't click ahead of time *punches touchpad* (I should disable that but I leave it around in case I end up mouseless sudden of all)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »

Good thing I've had my old install for years. I like FileZilla. Last used it yesterday. Too bad. This will kill their reputation and scare all new users off.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »

Jesus, you're operating under the GPL.  I thought free software developers were supposed to be against this kind of stuff?

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:07 PM »

Based on the replies that guy seems to be repeating in that thread I actually think that Tim is a robot.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »

You gotta love that singular dude defending him, too.

And this:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:44:01 PM by Boreal » Logged

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:16:34 PM »

Jesus, you're operating under the GPL.  I thought free software developers were supposed to be against this kind of stuff?

Only the FSF itself has been even remotely consistent about this, really.
amateurhour
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »

Just FYI if you get the bundled zip which just has the filezilla exe and no installer it's clean.

We ran into this problem at my office after I pushed the latest version onto four company computers and then they got hit by the corporate firewall for malware.

I went back and figured out what was up with the installer and downloaded the zip instead and ran it through a virus check and I've had it on my work and home PC for the last two months with no issues, but yes, the sourceforge installer is jacked.

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »

I've been using Filezilla for some time and haven't had a problem; but then again since I've had it for a bit maybe I missed the time when it got jacked.  All I do is update it from time to time and my AV has not freaked out so ... good? :D

Infernohawke Entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic