Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:54:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsCompetitions that require you to pay to enter: yay or nay?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Competitions that require you to pay to enter: yay or nay?  (Read 5989 times)
dllerroar
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »

I remember there was this composing competition not too long ago which charged a $50 entry fee.  Cheesy

Discuss.  Noir

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »

I'd be fine paying like five or ten bucks if it meant that there would be some kind of prize to win. Also ensures higher quality of participants.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

If it's location based, I see no problem with it, it helps with food and rental/whatever, if there is a major prize pool, I suppose so. But it's a little crass to expect someone to pay you for the privilege of doing work.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »

I also do short films and this comes up as well for film festivals. Sometimes they'll charge a nominal fee to keep the number of submissions manageable, but anything more than 10$ I get suspicious.

Prizes I do not care about, and if they play up the prizes too much I also get suspicious they're just looking to draw in suckers.

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:35:35 AM »

I can see the advantage if the event is very well publicised and will guarantee a decent amount of traffic to whatever you put out.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:30:13 AM »

Weirdly, I thought this pertains to just Jams. But major competitions, it could be worth it for the exposure, but you have to balance if

cost + effort + opportunity cost < Benefit of winning * chance of winning + benefit of losing

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »

Competitions for bragging rights. Nay.
Competitions that have prizes. Yay.

Yeah.
Pages: [1]
Print