Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:03:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAliens Eat Bullets [DONE] - android arcade game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Aliens Eat Bullets [DONE] - android arcade game  (Read 5465 times)
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »

Man, some sweet art you got there dude! The game kinda needs some alien that actually eats bullets though :3
Game looks pretty solid and fun to play, although it would also be cool to have some full-fledged platform shooter with these graphics, but hey, this is already pretty fancy c:.
Music sounds pretty cool, but can't say a lot about it until we can see it in action, but ti's definetly headed the right direction

About the dynamic music thing you were looking for, try looking into sync groups and audio_get_gain, pretty simple functions but they really do the trick!

Good luck with your project!

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »

to Cakeprediction
I'm super happy that you people love the art so much. I will have to think about the bullet eating alien a while though :D

Thanks for the tip on the audio. I did some research and it seems pretty straight forward.
Thanks a lot!

ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »

Yeah, a lot of this looks really solid already. I'm an especially huge fan of the art. Dynamic music could definitely be tricky. But, as long as you plan out your song layers, it should work fine Smiley

Looking forward to seeing this thing in full action.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:01:40 AM by ohaiguy » Logged

https://soundcloud.com/ohaiguy
[email protected]
Music Composer! Feel free to contact me Smiley
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 08:45:35 AM »

to ohaiguy
I hope I won't dissapoint you and others Wink
I'm planning on some playable alpha. It will probably be out when I finish the music.

Today I worked on the music some more. Thinking about the music layers and trying to cut it into usable segments helped and it works better. Here is, like before, single track improved in some places where it sounded weird. Also bass was too low.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »

"Oh, yeah, sure, just lay that red carpet"

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 03:48:28 AM »

I've got second boss pretty much done. What do you think?

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 04:18:56 AM »

Right now I'm working on sound effects for the game. Most of them are generated in bfxr and then tweaked a bit in flstudio. I'm sorry there is no alpha. I've run into a bug with GMS when you can't turn on gain of sound from 0-1 instantly. It really isn't working when you're trying to connect drum tracks...

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »

It seems that the QA assigned to the audio bug I submitted on Monday finally reassigned it to another QA who is actually looking into it. Hope they will fix it soon. Really frustrating...

I tried to be productive today and while trying to implement a dust coming down from the ceiling when you are really good and chain together multiple explosions I reworked how explosions are made and some logic behind them. Still not sure if you should be able to clear whole screen with good timed shots or not. It seems pretty good how it is now.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »

Hey guys! Reporting in after some time. Today I finished this intro scene:

Every line of text is loaded from external file so updating or translating is really not a problem.

You may notice this gif a little different in dimensions as I was working on making sure that there will never be any black bars on any screen size. This means the size of the "window" is done dynamicaly (for android).

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »

This is looking solid overall, glad to see to kept going with it!

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »

Glad you think that, blekdar. Thanks!

I'm currently working on bosses. I wasn't (and in some way I'm still not) satisfied with the tank-like boss. I gave him a shield that comes out and it should be clearer now at a glance that you can't hurt him while he's moving. It still doesn't seem right... I maybe have a problem with him because I have robots with legs and suddenly there's a tank. Maybe some clamps that would hold him in place when he shoots would look cool.

Next I have this one that is sort of like a brute. He just runs to you and when he punches you then that is the end of it. I'm trying to make him look more interesting by spawning two of them at once. Here are two runs. First is a bit more dramatic (I don't have player death yet so that helps, right?) The other one is managed better. For the first boss it doesn't look bad and it requires from the player that he can charge his shots most of the time perfectly.

I've also made a page on indieDB so check it out. Not sure how often updates will pop up there but I can see this "popularity thing" go up and down, which is cool.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:28:13 PM by Sorsy » Logged

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »

Starting to work on the story mode in game.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 08:22:40 AM »

First boss killed. Our evil alien overlord is starting to lose his cool.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »

Once again today. Did the death screen. I will add game over and continue button tomorrow.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 02:33:45 AM »

Hey guys! Not dead yet! I added one more enemy. This one will be a bit harder.

No alpha/beta/whatever still as I was foolishly waiting for yoyogames to post an update with a fix to a bug with the audio system. I will probably make a version of the music for bosses and regular shooting and try to blend those with some gain adjusting. Then there will be playable build. I also decided to focus on the android version more and finish it as soon as possible.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »

Hello guys, I kind of feel bad for not showing anything for so long but at least I have some good news now. Over the last couple of weeks a lot of polish went into the project. I made sound effects for every enemy currently in the game but more are coming so it's actually not done. I also want to keep my promise to you and myself included that there will be a lot of unique bosses. So far I have four which is not "a lot". I would be glad for having at least 7 including the final boss. I will try to elaborate on that tomorrow.
For today I can show you this tank boss you could see in my older posts. I replaced these little Bits as I call them with this thing I call Mesh Builder. Silly names :/ Then the tank boss comes in but I fail very quickly. The gif is a bit uneven with speed which I don't understand, the game runs smooth 40fps even on my Samsung S3mini.

I will try to show you more tomorrow. I have two more enemies to show but one is not ready yet.

Also, I don't think this is a very good spot to place such a thing but I'm looking for a paid job as pixel artist. My portfolio is over at FanaticalSmile so if you like my style just PM or email me.

eliasfrost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »

Cool stuff, I dig the art style. Smiley

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »

Really loving your pixel art, great use of color and everything.

Keep up the great work man!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2015, 03:26:49 PM »

Thanks eliasfrost and mzn528. Appreciate it!

I got the update I promised yesterday and I want to show off two new bosses. First one is more armored version of the flying enemy, it has custom path it takes around you and shoots pretty frequently. It is more like a mini boss that could go after swarm of the basic flying enemies.

Then something more interesting. I don't have a name for this one yet but you can see it has a bit more to it than the previous one.

Doubling them makes things even more interesting, of course.

You can see that shooting the floating part actually does nothing. For them to go down you have to destroy its base. I will have to play with the rate of fire for these things, right now it's pretty much imposible to destroy.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »

Hey! I don't know if I ever wrote about it but there will be an enemy database in the game. Simply when you encounter a new enemy in the game it unlocks in your database and you can read about it a bit. Right now I'm not sure if I will go with humorous notes or maybe with something helpful, like some tip on how to destroy it quicker.
Today I implemented that system except for the texty part. It is centering itself on any screen size and wraps on the next line if there is not enough space. I guess that is nothing special but for me since I'm not really a programmer it is really something and I must say I'm getting better at for loops :D

I'm still not sure about the color combination in menu so that is something I have to work on later. Those are just placeholder.

Also it's very refreshing to just press printScreen and have it ready to post here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic