Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:08:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignProcedural Metroidvania MMO Boss Battle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Metroidvania MMO Boss Battle  (Read 885 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »

So I played some popular metroidvania recently, and while it was fun for a few minutes, nothing new design wise...

So since players like rehashes, why not just combine a few genres?

Imagine getting grouped into parties for "instances" of West Yellow Hallway 3 with other players online, using Borderlands style procedurally generated weapons until you reach a procedurally generated boss.. that one of the players controls and if they win, earns massive weapon upgrades!

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »

I don't know about the MMO part, but the Procgen Metroidvania? Well, see the signature. Wink

One thing I'd like to tackle, eventually, would be a mishmash of the concept, combined with MegaMan style weapons/items, and Sonic-inspired physics and level design. Whether to make that multiplayer or not, as well as featuring wall-jumping? It's worth looking into sometime.

I'm at the starting point of a redesign/redux with more structure and polish right now, as well as optional gravity vs. top-down adventure toggles, a few items lists (like a La Mulana-inspired one) some variables that effect both the physics of the game and the level generation algorhythm.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

Cool. Physics of the game sound fun. I think with even just half a dozen or so of movement options (teleport to the beam you shot, bounce off other players beams, shooting slows gravity down etc..) you could have a lot of fun.

Also, just saw this: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46590.0;topicseen

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic