Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:07:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best practices when planning a big game?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Best practices when planning a big game?  (Read 2554 times)
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »

tbh I think the term functional programming language is a misuse of the term. Functional implies functions, not immutability. A pure language I think is a better descriptor.

The name comes from the concept of mathematical functions. Immutability is just one of the many concepts that make a functional language.
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »

I might be mixing the terms up, yeah. Imperative sounds familiar. I don't do it myself.

Anyway, I'm not saying I'm in favour of this practice. Just trying to clear up what looked to me like a possible misunderstanding. Embarrassed

tbh I think the term functional programming language is a misuse of the term. Functional implies functions, not immutability. A pure language I think is a better descriptor.

If I'm not mistaken,  a Pure language would be something more like Haskell, with no mutable state at all within methods.

But yeah, functional tends to be a bit too broad of a term. Nearly all languages have at least some functional component to them.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »

Thanks for the in-depth discussion guys. It's been very helpful. I'm also interested in global scripts. Like should you code your own event system and input managers and those sorts of things?

Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »

Thanks for the in-depth discussion guys. It's been very helpful. I'm also interested in global scripts. Like should you code your own event system and input managers and those sorts of things?

One thing you can do is put your event system or input manager as a MonoBehavior in a _SCRIPTS GameObject and pass it to the script that needs it using the editor (drag _SCRIPTS into the MyInputManager input box in properties). This is a situation people often go for a singleton but I would avoid that to keep coupling in check.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »

The name comes from the concept of mathematical functions. Immutability is just one of the many concepts that make a functional language.

I know but when there's already a specifier for immutability with the word pure and functions in C can be mutable, it's natural to assume someone might think in terms of a C function. 

Even Haskell and F# differentiate themselves as pure functional and non-pure functional.

I might be mixing the terms up, yeah. Imperative sounds familiar. I don't do it myself.

Anyway, I'm not saying I'm in favour of this practice. Just trying to clear up what looked to me like a possible misunderstanding. Embarrassed

If I'm not mistaken,  a Pure language would be something more like Haskell, with no mutable state at all within methods.

But yeah, functional tends to be a bit too broad of a term. Nearly all languages have at least some functional component to them.

You read my mind Smiley

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 06:34:10 AM »

I know but when there's already a specifier for immutability with the word pure and functions in C can be mutable, it's natural to assume someone might think in terms of a C function.

LISP predates C, so any confusion is Dennis Ritchie's fault. He should have called them subroutines like everyone else did. Smiley
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »

fair enough  Toast Left

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic