Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:55:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHelp me improve some 16 bit tiles?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help me improve some 16 bit tiles?  (Read 3964 times)
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »

After about two months of on and off practice I finally came up with an aesthetic I'm okay with.

THat's a screenshot of the actual program, not a mockup.

So yeah... Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
robberguy189
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »

Did some more work on it

Edit:
Fixed the merging platforms.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:02:20 PM by robberguy189 » Logged
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:35:12 AM »

Tree needs branches & leaves, grass is too thick maybe add roots to the grass and trees.
Main character looks boring. I like the first kid more.
The smallest mushroom needs another pixel on the top imho.

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »

(This is first feedback, sorry if it's not great)
Tree:
The trees leaves seems to round, which is okay, if you want that style, although the shading almost implies it's more of a cylinder that is tilted sideways. By making it less 'gradient like' (I know it's not a gradient, still, best way to describe). You can give the tree more depth, and a sense of 3d. You can do this by having shadows that are lighter and darker at different angles within the leaves. It, to be very critical, also looks strange having single pixels, as in a tree, if light is hitting a certain part, it will light up more than a tiny spot, even if it is just a leaf. Also with the tree, the shading on the log is left to right, when the shading in the leaves is up and down. Like the trees leaves, work on making it have more depth by not just having a squiggly gradient, but rather having darker patches to show shadow from the leaves, and shadows where real shadows are. Look at how real trees like, because the are round, the right most bit is not always the brightest, sometimes it's in the middle. Look on google images perhaps.

Player:
The player looks best in the first image to be honest. The lighting on the other too is very off. Try to avoid just having dark shadows around the outside, as it's not like the player is flat. The shading in the cap is fine, but ensure the direction the light is coming from is consistent. The legs and body need the most work, as they seem like paper, having no depth, as shadows are nowhere clear except the outline. The first characters kind of cute haha.

Tileset:
I'm referring to the ground and walls here. Overall this was my favourite part of the image. Colours are fine, but again, but again, the shadowing doesn't make sense. However, unlike the other elements, I don't mind it, as dirt can be kind of fuzzy. If you wanted it to be more detailed, you could have general rock shapes with clear lighting and shadows. No real feedback here, I don't mind them.

Apologies for not using the best English here. I was using a friends Internet, on an iPad, and this is my first post in this section. Hope this helps! Smiley keep going, looks good. Sorry if I was a bit too critical here.  Wink  Smiley

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 03:26:53 AM »

Ooh just saw more differences with the top image, which is certainly the best. The water looks the best and the tree has slightly better shading.

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic