Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:41:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTanku! (wip title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tanku! (wip title)  (Read 1616 times)
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »

Well, hello there devs and gamers around the tig-globe. I have been lurking in the darkness making some freelance work in order to survive after I finished my last game which launched on the Google Play Store.

After acquiring more and more experience I have finally stopped here and it's time for me to return to make a game of my own, it is in fact called Tanku! ~ as a provisional title.

This time, the project is being developed for its later deploy at PC, Linux & Mac.

So let's begin. Give me a few moments to explain how the game is going to make you have fun.

Tanku!
Are you a nintendo player? You definitely purchased a Wii back then, right? Well, you sure have played Wii Play's Tanks game, now that you have that game in mind, let me tell you something. Wouldn't it be fun if it had a multiplayer mode?

- Well that's where this game project arrives!

I want to give Tanku the same fun Wii Play's Tanks game did, but  with some twists.

In this game, you will be able to battle online with others and show your skills, while having the possibility of customizing your tank.

Basically, all parts are parts that you will be able to change, in color, in shape and in properties using the game shop (that will be using in-game currency that you get from playing the game).

- Customizable parts:
Cannon holder: This will not affect in any way the gameplay, you'll be able to change it's shape, colors or effects, but just cosmetic.
Cannon: Depending on what cannon you decide to put on your tank, you'll have different game mechanics, one example would be a cannon that fires two projectiles that instantly blow up on collision, while another would be just firing one projectile but that one bounces off walls, making it more difficult to dodge.
Body: This will only be cosmetic and will have an accessory slot for it to carry a flag, for example (just cosmetic).
Wheels: This will affect the way you move the tank, the speedness in overall, but also will have cosmetic effects like leaving a fire trail where your tank moves.

Saying this, by cosmetic I mean they're only visual related things, that will make your tank look cooler, you'll be able to fully customize anything with it, just to let you shape and color your tank as you wish.

- Regarding Multiplayer modes:
I'm mainly developing this with a 1vs1 matchmaking in mind, matches will be really fast (will last less than a minute), and there will be a ladder to get on top, the sweetness on this is that I plan on giving unique items for free to the players with best rating, so in my perspective that will make people want to be on top, causing the ladder to be in constant movement.

But as we're not made to be alone (mostly) I also have in mind developing a 2vs2 arena and a 3vs3 capture the flag modes, but indeed main idea is to get the 1vs1 done as nicely as possible!

And having said everything for now I'll be now going to bed, althought I'm pretty excited by this and will probably not sleep too much. I will be posting updates to this devblog every wednsday and saturday, definitelly going serious with this.

Excuse me if I wrote something incorrectly, but english not being my native language summed to my sleepy everything are the reasons why!

** WIP Screenshots & Gifs **

** Playtest Videos **

** Devblog Updates **
04/05/2015 - Just started!
04/07/2015 - Basic tank parts, explosions and particles!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:20:12 AM by devMidgard » Logged
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »

I just got the basic movement mechanics implemented (firing is also in in a basic basis), and I had to create a gif as it's already fun to leave footprints around!

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »

For the past days I've been working on fancy particles things, main menu (which includes editing your tank), improving firing, and made the basic tank parts that together, create the basic tank set!

This is how it is looking right now (my tank sure is the most beautiful, with these vibrant colors  Facepalm):

I also made some simple 8-bit sounds for the game with bfxr, I'm not sure if they fit the whole thing, but it's changeable on the future, so that's it Tongue

I may make a video soon showing everything and so you can hear the sounds of it and tell me what do you think!
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »

Hey there folks! How are you doing? Well? That's pretty nice! Tanku has been doing pretty well too!

So on today's update (disregarding this is not wednesday) I will be telling you what's got done pretty much this first week of development.

Basically the goal is to have something fun already working in a short time, and I think I'm nearly reaching that, so I may be pulling around here an early wip build of the game so you can start experimenting with it and tell me what you think, as without any players having fun this project would be a fail!

This week, I did some basic mechanics of the movement (it's already finished now, not so hard for an arcade tank game anyways!), some combat system (firing, receiving damage, etcetera) and some fancy particle explosions, everything is working pretty nicely!

Also, today I started to write the whole accounts system (including tank customization!), and I ended up having a server that contacts the game's database in order to retrieve/insert data on it, and another server that is where players will connect to (like a middle man), and find matches on its matchmaking system. Nothing is pretty much difficult, having made some multiplayer games at the moment, but as my experience tells, everything should be destroying itself when real-testing with real players, not local ones!

So for now, you can create accounts, log in and name them, they already have some data like ingame currency, account rating, wins & losses stored in, but I'm still wondering on a good way to display that data. I have also done some of the tank customization interface, it's looking fairly well, althought we'll see how it ends! I will post a screenshot tomorrow showing that, but for now I leave you with a big-ass gif about the login process when you create an account for the first time.

Thanks everyone! See you tomorrow Smiley
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »

Hey guys! So on today's update I finally got the color picker to work (took me more than I expected!). I still have to work on the interface, but here it goes (beware the big ass gif):

The next thing I'll post (hopefully the next weekend) is the complete interface working nicely and as expected. That's the plan!

Thanks everyone and have a nice weekend!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »

俺のタンクがこんなに可愛いわけがない!

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

俺のタンクがこんなに可愛いわけがない!

I wish I knew Japanese! But in my try to understand this, using various translators, what I've got is:
I know I'm not but tank is so cute!

Some explanation would be cool! Haha!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »

I just played on the title of the anime "Ore no imouto ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai!", chaning imouto to TANKU. c; Google it, I guess.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »

Hey guys!

Today I finished writing all the tank account data saving. Took more than expected but there it is! I also modified a bit the editing user interface, which one do you think is better?  Beer!

Before:

After:

On the last update, I said that hopefully this weekend I would show some real movement on the game, but I think it will not be possible, as I'll be taking a break by participating in the Ludum Dare 32nd Edition! But yeah, I will come back next week.

Best of luck for anyone participating on the LD this weekend, it sure will be fun  Tongue
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »

Hello folks!

Just a quick update: I've got NAT Punchthrough to work this morning! So yeah, that does mean you'll have to host your own matches, althought it will be done automatically. There will be an option to set a maximum latency so if you or the other player have high latency the match will be suspended, and you'll not be able to join someone if his latency is over the maximum you'll be able to define, just preventing Smiley

I'd like to do dedicated servers with rooms on it, as this is mainly 1vs1, but I just don't have the budget to rent dedicated servers right now! We'll see if having players hosting is nice enough and enjoyable!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic