Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:59:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeNeed advice on building community from scratch
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need advice on building community from scratch  (Read 935 times)
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »

So unlike 2008 - 2010, when building a community around a game in development seemed like a natural process, it feels that nowadays it's almost an impossible task :/ (perhaps maybe when I have actual gameplay shown it might become more organic process)

Any advice on how to begin building community, from scratch, around developing project would be much appreciated.

On the other note, should I even bother with my own social system (forums, etc.) or should I pick and stick with one of many available social outlets out there, including Steam, and simply have a promotional website for the game itself ?

Thanks!

Kot-in-Action Creative Artel
@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
.nL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

I'm not an expert in community building by any extent of the imagination, but I'd take a page from Amplitude. They literally poached players who they thought might be interested in their games, and had a penchant for evangelizing their favored products.

But I wouldn't do that until you've got a marketable idea + mostly complete product to present, because you need to wow people to use that method.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:45:35 AM »

i dont want to force or fool anyone into following me unless i deserve it so i just tweet regularly with those gamedev hashtags that get automatically retweeted to people subscribing to them and those who stumble across those retweets and find them interesting end up following me i guess

make sure you're making something that's actually worth following i guess :p

get enough followers and i guess you can start directing them to other portals maybe (patreon?)
i haven't gotten there yet and rightfully so – my game has a long way to go still before it deserves that – but nonetheless i do get a few followers every day i post updates

no rush. unless your game is rushed. gotta prove yourself and your game first.

EDIT:
someone just tweeted this. might be relevant to you:

http://www.binpress.com/blog/2015/02/06/indie-game-launch-guide-pre-launch/

and this which is only partially related: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ColmLarkin/20140611/219126/Getting_Your_Game_Greenlit_In_2014.php
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:09:31 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic