Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:07:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOri and the Blind Forest
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ori and the Blind Forest  (Read 2200 times)
DaBuseck
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:24:25 AM »

So I thought I would give a little review about this game! So far what I have seen in the first 12 or so minutes is that it takes quite sometime for the gameplay to actually really get started. Below I have link a video to the first 12 minutes. Other than than this game is amazing, the art, the music, and the overall functionality of this game is spotless!

Intro Video:

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

It's GOTY material. Y'all would do well to check it out.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:13:13 PM »

Very beautiful and touchy intro, amazing work.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »

Love love love this game. The narrative might be weak in certain areas, but the audio, visuals, and incredible controls and gameplay mechanics more than make up for it. Plus I still can't believe the whole thing was made in Unity.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:15:40 PM »

Found this review a bit too unserious to make the game justice, but I'm still thankful for having had this game brought to my attention, as I wasn't aware of it before. Very strong opening and I'm looking forward to seeing the actual gameplay.

But I feel like as if I wanted to share this game with someone, I wouldn't show them this review, but rather a playthrough with no voiceover at all, because it's hard to get them into the right mood when you're actually laughing at the sad stuff. Would be great if you didn't do that in part 2! Hand Thumbs Up Right

EDIT:
ok nvm i youtubed some gameplay now and its apparently just another shitty game about killing
what a waste of potential

You can't set that all up and have a sad and powerful scene dealing with the death of the character in the beginning and then go on a killing spree like nothing! What the fuck? Everything the intro built up ruined in a split second. Seriously. Why do games keep doing this? Why are game developers so afraid of doing something emotional and interesting without resorting to this, which completely breaks it, like every other 99% of games out there?

why do i even

I've still got high hopes for Rime...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:56:21 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:59:29 AM »

ok nvm i youtubed some gameplay now and its apparently just another shitty game about killing
I am sorry that you were led to believe a Metroidvania game was not a Metroidvania.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:01:14 AM »

I am sorry that you were led to believe a Metroidvania game was not a Metroidvania.
All I knew about the game was based on seeing this intro. I hadn't heard about it before. I wasn't aware of its genre. I just saw a really good intro and then got disappointed when seeing what followed. I came in with no expectations, was happily surprised and then left feeling betrayed.

Or rather left feeling the devs are as immature as any other devs and can't handle the heavy subjects they bring up, resorting to the default formula of every other game out there.

EDIT:
Yay! I watched an interview about Rime and the developer said stuff straight out to confirm that it's the game for me. Can't wait.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 01:07:11 AM »

All I knew about the game was based on seeing this intro. I hadn't heard about it before. I wasn't aware of its genre. I just saw a really good intro and then got disappointed when seeing what followed. I came in with no expectations, was happily surprised and then left feeling betrayed.
Yeah, I can understand that. Tbh I haven't watched the video in the OP and I think it would be a better idea to just look up the game on Steam if anyone wants to find out what it's about. The intro sequence by itself tells you little.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/

For what it's worth, combat is really secondary to the other things you do in this game - there are some minibosses but they are few and forgettable. Other enemies can usually be bypassed and later in the game you acquire powers that make it almost trivial to avoid combat. The meat of the game is its exploration and platforming sequences.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:16:14 AM »

Yeah, I saw that, and I watched that trailer before I wrote my edit and my last post. Optional combat is better, because then you can choose to avoid it and define the character as you wish. Like how it's actually possible to play as a total pacifist in Skyrim, at least with a few mods. Obligatory bosses break that, tho. It feels like a big stain on an otherwise extremely beautifully crafted project. To me.

Just throwing my own opinion out there. Not telling others they shouldn't play or like the game. I'd just like to see full-fledged games in general try to explore other types of gameplay. There are great examples out there, but not many enough IMO.

Disappointed. But hyped about Rime, so it's even!

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 04:25:15 AM »

The checkpoint system made me uninstall the game. That, and the god awful "escape from rising water" level.

Dying resets not only all of the things you have collected (sometimes you keep some of the collectibles? I have no idea why.), resets all puzzles (again, only sometimes parts of the puzzles are NOT reset) , and also makes you re-watch cut scenes that may have happened. Rarely does it have any sort of automatic checkpoint because they let you make your own... but its a limited resource which you ALSO use to fight AND to open certain doors. Its just awful.

The real reason that dying and losing progress feels so awkward is because it loads almost instantly. It feels like you just respawn, rather than dying and the world resetting. Which is in part due to some really quick load times (thank you, God).

Dying almost never feels like it was my fault. There are multiple times where you have to wall jump, only to land on a sliver of platform at the top, with spikes ahead of you. I can't tell you how many times I hopped up there only to just barely touch the ambiguous hitbox of those damn spikes, and die. Enemy projectiles have a tendency to blend into the background and be hard to see. Especially the spiders. The dash through attack has such a short range that I constantly found myself trying to use it, failing, and falling to my death. Which is really dumb considering there are many parts of the game that require you to use it.

Speaking of awful mechanics, the water tree level is the WORST level I have played in a platformer in a LONG time. No matter how fast you go, the water stays at a constant height. This would be tense if it didn't just kill me 15 times because its impossible to tell where the water death line actually is. Not to mention this whole area is filled with enemies that you have to dash through to gain ground. The spider in particular can shoot through the door, teleport the bullet to where you are, and it will hit you as you try to advance through the next section. It will kill you because... you fall and the water is locked to a screen position. Shortly after the spider there is a jump pad, which is the same color as the water, and I missed it over and over and over again. Why? Because the water covers it. But not the death part of the water.

IMMEDIATELY after this jump pad, you have to dash through some projectiles, which are out of sync unless you wait to jump on the pad and time it correctly with projectiles that aren't even on the fucking screen at the time.

Combat is bad.
Leveling up system is bad.
Theres like 7 different things to collect for no reason.

But its pretty. And for the most part it feels nice to run through. Then again there are a handful of certain jumps and ultra precise platforming required that the game just doesn't allow you to do easily because of its floaty air control.

Good game? Sure.
Game of the year? lol not on your life.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 04:41:27 AM »

i think i would actually be more excited for this game if it wasnt actually challenging and was just about seeing pretty pictures oops. will get it on sale tho
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:40 AM »

the thing is that its not challenging. it just has really dumb level design that kills you a lot.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 04:58:01 AM »

Water flood is a difficulty spike, but it's only really a problem if you're trying to do it for the first time and also collect every pickup on the way. Those aren't really necessary to the game unless you're trying to 100% it (they just give you some xp)

I found the timed sections slightly annoying on my first run but looking back at them they're now my favorite parts of the game. It's so satisfying when you finally Git Gud enough to beat them without respawning and can take revenge on the rubberbanding water clock. But yeah, if you're looking for a "relaxing cute platformer" then you should probably play Kirby instead because Ori will murder you.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 05:08:08 AM »

thats the problem though. it IS a relaxing platformer. all of the difficulty comes from bad design rather than interesting or challenging enemies, and good level design. most of the platforming is super easy but they just throw in a ledge thats only as wide as your feet, and if you dont land in it, you die.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 05:14:32 AM »

One thing I noticed from watching my sister play Ori was she didn't abuse the Bash move nearly as much as she should have. You can hold the button until you come into range of the target, and when you're on the target you can keep holding the button for a long time to assess where you want to go. If you just hold the bash as long as possible you can give yourself plenty of time to react to sudden changes in the environment, so it's a great help when you're still learning routes.

Another PROTIP is that you don't actually need to enter the Ginso Tree immediately after leaving Gumo's Hideout. There are lots of pickups you can grab on the main map before going in which makes it considerably easier. If you're diligent with your point allocation you can even get the triple jump at that point of the game which unlocks even more pickups and secrets.

It's actually a pretty forgiving game if you consider that very few obstacles kill you outright (lasers) and they only come into play much later in the game. Usually if you mess up and take some damage you can still recover if you jump out of whatever it is that's killing you quickly. Grabbing more life cells increases your chance of recovery in this way.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:35:44 AM by Nillo » Logged

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »

It so sad to see DK tropical freeze  didn't get same love  what this game is getting...There is no justice in this world..
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 08:14:33 AM »

It so sad to see DK tropical freeze  didn't get same love  what this game is getting...There is no justice in this world..
Well, I'm not gonna head out and buy a Wii U just to play Donkey Kong on it, regardless of its quality. An unpopular platform will cripple all but the most system-selling titles.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »

It so sad to see DK tropical freeze  didn't get same love  what this game is getting...There is no justice in this world..
Well, I'm not gonna head out and buy a Wii U just to play Donkey Kong on it, regardless of its quality. An unpopular platform will cripple all but the most system-selling titles.

Im not talking about popularity.. This game was very much hated because it was not metroid when it first revealed..... The hate reflected in so many gaming site reviews... Gamespot review about DKCTF was joke..

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:50:06 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »

Ah. I wouldn't know anything about that stuff, since I'm mainly a PC sort of gamer. The only consoles I tend to use are the portable ones like the 3DS.

Anyway, here's a good video of the (in)famous Ginso Tree escape sequence:

It's not really a spoiler since it doesn't tell you anything except that the Ginso Tree is full of death. The fast and intense climbing makes it my favorite level, and I think it will be remembered as one of the most noteworthy parts of this game.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »

Wow, that's super beautiful. And man am I sucker for fancy escape sequence levels.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic