Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:36:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARCADIAN ATLAS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ARCADIAN ATLAS  (Read 39937 times)
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

Original, properly formatted blog post can be found here.

Presenting: Lucretia Belneive

Brother Against Brother

“If I’m to die for my choices, I’d gladly die without your pity. When they toss me in the dirt or burn me in effigy, at least they’ll say, “She was her father’s daughter.”
    That might be all I have left, but it’s a legacy that means something. To give these people hope again – hope for a kingdom that accepts and understands them, hope for a home instead of a prison.
    Because life is cruel and our days are short, I owe it to my people to set things right.
    So no, this is not rebellion.
    This is restoration. And you’re either with me or against me."

Lucretia Belneive never looked back. She rode past a sea of corpses strewn along the Anthras Ravine, horse hooves beating against parched earth, and felt no regrets. This was the price she had paid – the price they’d all paid – for a better home.

And when the day came for her to make that choice – a choice to forever alter the state of an empire, the choice to beat plowshares into swords and divide brother against brother – she did not falter.

She brushed the hair from her face, pulled the sword from the man who once protected her, and said, “If you would see the rightful rule, follow me. Together we shall reclaim and cleans what is ours by birth.”

She was 23 years old, and the world wasn’t ready for her.

Blood Ties

Lucretia was the firstborn of a king, which should have meant something.

Her father, King Tirgan of Dantalion, wed Patricia Belneive on a new moon with white robes and a laurel branch around his head. It was meant to signify new beginnings for the troubled kingdom. Turns out, there would be new beginnings, but not the sort anyone anticipated.

The marriage soured, as often happens when young, love-struck people rush into things. There were whispers of gold digging, of power grabbing, of sedition and subversion – but the truth was far more mundane. Tirgan and Patricia simply tired of each other. The thrill faded, and what was left were three children: Lucretia, Annalise, and young Prince Henrique. Oh yes, and one giant scandal.

Tirgan took a mistress. It was hardly a surprise to anyone, and even less so after word spread of his wife’s falsified background. She was not, as it turned out, of noble bloodline, which meant legally – in the eyes of magistrates and God alike – the marriage was forbidden.

So when the boy Henrique died of illness, and whispers spread that the Queen had poisoned the only male heir – her own son – to spite her husband’s infidelity, Patricia found her head on the wrong end of the chopping block.

And so Lucretia lost a mother. It was a blow, certainly, but she was a daddy’s girl, and as terrible as it might sound, she found one less woman vying for her father’s affections only made life sweeter for a time.

But that time was not to last – something she found out the hard way when her father married the one woman Lucretia despised: Venezia of Blouchester. Overnight the former mistress became royalty.

“Blood? What good is blood anymore? Are we not royal blood, Annalise? And yet look at how she treats us. We’re prisoners in our own home, forced to smile as she walks by with dresses she didn’t buy and manners she parrots in mockery of us, as if we’re garbage, as if we’re dogs to eat the scraps from our own father’s table.”
    “If you would keep quiet, she might like you more, you know.”
    “Don’t fool yourself. We’re a threat to her. Whether we shout or shut up, she will never like us. And one day – make no mistake – she will get rid of us. Just remember: we live amongst wolves here, Anna. There’s no use pretending otherwise. I’m making plans for the day they try to take me, and I suggest you do the same.”

And then there was the boy. Prince Donne, the only living male heir to the throne, was born a short eleven months later. Lucretia never could see any trace of her father in that child’s face. Said it was because Venezia had done to the boy the same thing she had done to the king: consumed every trace of him in her pride and ambition.

Sometimes, however, Lucretia would see a glimpse of the father she once knew. A stroll in the courtyard, a conversation about politics, a meeting of minds so sharp and serious that they melded into one. She cherished those times, though few and far between.

At times, they were all that kept her going. That is, until the day the King grew ill.

The kingdom at war, Prince Donne still far too young to rule, and her own chances of ascending the throne cut off the day the blade fell on her mother – Lucretia felt the wolves circling. They were licking their jaws, all eager for a chance at a crown she couldn’t hope to have – her father’s life the one thing holding them back. But that too was thinning. The day was fast approaching when the wolves would pounce.

Luckily for her, the preparations were almost ready. She wouldn’t be taken by surprise because she watched and listened to the people that mattered. Especially to one man – a man Queen Venezia trusted more than anyone. A man she told her secrets to.

People called him Wulff, and he acted the part.

Next Time: Wulff

Continuing the tradition of looking at our characters in pairs, next time we’ll hear from the grizzled war veteran Wulff, followed shortly by the closest person to him, Queen Venezia.

So next time, the most skilled military officer Dantalion ever had: Wulff.

If you’ve enjoyed this and want to be alerted when new ones come out, sign up for the blog’s mailing list below. You can also get major game updates by signing up for the newsletter to the right.

Find us on Twitter, shoot us an email, and stay in touch! We want to hear from you!

And if you'll be at SGC this Saturday, shoot us a message and we just might see you there!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:40:21 PM by BBreakfast » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »

These look like really nice tutorials, thank you for sharing! That last bio was riveting, fantastically written in more ways than one. I have to be honest though it gave me huge Asha Greyjoy flashbacks, really looking forward to the next one. There is no chance SGC is in London is there?

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 02:06:39 PM »

These look like really nice tutorials, thank you for sharing! That last bio was riveting, fantastically written in more ways than one. I have to be honest though it gave me huge Asha Greyjoy flashbacks, really looking forward to the next one. There is no chance SGC is in London is there?

Thanks for the feedback! My brother & the writer for the game (@wtaylorbair) takes a lot of pride in creating the backstories for these characters & writing the dev blogs so he'll be happy to hear you liked the bio!

It's funny you mention Game of Thrones -- I've tried to get him to watch it about 100 times but he's yet to start it. It's interesting to see how his obliviousness sometimes yields plotlines that can cause flashes of GoT, but it's totally unintentional.  Smiley

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »

Coming Monday @ 4 PM EST to the blog...

A special Call to Arms announcement.

Are you, or do you knowSound Designer / Composer / SFX Artist ?

We've got something that might be of interest...
More info to come Monday!

Don't think you'll remember to check the blog? You can always...

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »

It's funny you mention Game of Thrones -- I've tried to get him to watch it about 100 times but he's yet to start it. It's interesting to see how his obliviousness sometimes yields plotlines that can cause flashes of GoT, but it's totally unintentional.  Smiley

Huh that is really strange. You should definitely encourage him to at least read the first book. I'm sure he'd appreciate some of the writing.

I am very excited to begin hearing the sound involved. With the miraculous and and writing, the sound will be spectacular too I'm sure! I'm curious. Noticing the scribbled style of the 'subscribe' text above, do you begin your design process in traditional mediums?

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »

Looks solid! Sounds like you're already putting quite a bit of depth into the characters' backgrounds and stories which is promising.
Not sure what your call to arms announcement will be but yes, I'm a composer... feel free to check out my links.  Smiley
I'll keep my eye on this for sure. All the best!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »

Yeah, definitely want to second Jct on the writing. The fact that the characters have enough of a backstory to honestly warrant their cold-like, or crippling valiant, behaviors, makes the story-premise even MORE interesting. I always consider a great rpg akin to experiencing a good book - from the plot-lines to the battles. Not to mention it's a romance that takes place on the battle field. A love with cahones. My kind of love.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »

Hey guys! We are officially searching for a Composer & a SFX Artist, or someone skilled at both to help us fill the world of Arcadia with sound! More info can be found on the official job post:

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »

Heya folks! Here's the female Ranger portrait I've been working on when life allows.

And just a heads up, the application process for our composer / SFX artist hunt is open until September 1st so there's still some time to get your submission in if you haven't had a chance yet.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 01:40:51 AM »

Reminds me of Mucha's work. Very striking!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »

love Mucha's work so that's definitely a huge compliment  Well, hello there!

here's a suuuuper early WIP of what I've been working on during our musician/SFX artist application period.

speaking of which, we are still accepting applications from anyone interested in working with us as a composer and/or SFX artist on Arcadian Atlas! Once September 1st rolls around we will move on to finalizing our decision - hopefully sometime soon afterwards we will be able to announce our decision here!

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »

The world could use another good FFT.  FFTA/2 certainly did not count.

Looking forward to this!

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »

awesome, glad to have ya on board OMGWTF Games!

Got a little bit more done on this piece but it still has a ways to go. Most of my time lately has been spent checking out everyone's composer/SFX applications and making sure all emails have been responded to. Once September 1st rolls around we will shut the door on new submissions so if you were still hoping to apply, be sure and get those emails in now!

Also, our writer @wtaylorbair has cooked up another great character bio for the blog.

Check back on Friday @ 4 PM CST to learn a bit more about the brooding warhero & Queen's righthand man, Wulff Kohcell:

Until next time!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 08:22:35 AM »

Original, properly formatted blog post can be found here.

Presenting: Wulff Kohcell

To Break and be Broken

“And where does that leave us?” Venezia whispered, pacing the marble floors.
“It leaves us where it’s always left us: alone.”
“And if I can’t accept that?”
“Believe me, you can. And if you cannot, you bury yourself in the fight and sweat until you can.”
“That’s no way to live, Wulff.”
 “Sober up woman. This isn’t some banquet or romantic tale - this is a kingdom on the verge of collapse. And here you talk of feelings and love. Douse your face in cold water and speak to me then.”
“That’s no way to talk to your Queen.”
“I haven’t spoken to you like a Queen since Welbourne, and let’s not pretend I could ever go back. Not after what we’ve been through.”

Wulff Kohcell wasn’t interested in sympathy. He tightened his sweaty palms around the sword hilt and brought it down the second time with a loud crack against the boy’s skull. The body convulsed for a moment, blood trickling from the lips, and then slumped as still as the grave.

It hardly mattered anymore. Life came and went in a moment – no rhyme, no reason, no sense in laboring upon remorse and regret. It was, and then it wasn’t. Wulff was okay with that now.

He stood – the plate armor strangely fluid from the warmed leather pressed against his skin and sweat – and looked to the hills. He heard the clatter of horse hooves – saw the masses of men pause, their swords and spears gawking. She was there, cresting the hill atop a black stallion. Her eyes scanned the horizon, caught him, and paused.

He bowed, and – for the first time that day – wiped the blood from his face.

Hard-pressed on Every Side

Wulff may as well have been a bastard.

The only son of Beowulff Kohcell, he was given the family name and very little else. Beowulff walked into the birthing chamber with a glass of whiskey and a sword dangling at his side. He cut a slit on his hand, wiped a bloody finger across the screaming child’s forehead, and whispered to his wife as he walked from the room, “Finally, someone to love you.”

Some said the general was too in love with battle to bother with a child, that his life on the front gave him the thrill his marriage so badly lacked, or that he was too terrified of returning to a life he no longer understood. But thinking about the whys never helped young Wulff. They didn’t change things – didn’t bring comfort or his father back. He was too concerned with surviving what was, not dreaming about what might have been.

And the yearly furloughs his father squandered in brothels and bars made it abundantly clear what was: the only son of Beowulff Kohcell may as well have been a bastard, and bastards have to make their own way.

“It’s astounding – that’s what. Astounding that you can still talk of him like the man cared two mites about you.”
“I respected him.”
“So? So what if you respected him? What does that change? Abandoned by your own father and yet you live in his shadow as if he ever loved you – as if affection were earned in some act of valor.”
“To some men, it is.”
“Ah, and so that’s it, is it Wulff? You fight to please the ghost of a man who never wanted you?” Venezia said with a laugh. “Then you really are a fool.”
“Never claimed I wasn’t. But I’m the best damn fool you have, so best get used to it.”

If ever a man made his own way, Wulff was it.

Moving to his grandparent’s farm south of Dantalion so he could be closer to the military outpost, conscripting as a squire though he was 2 years older than most other boys, and working his way up the ranks faster than any other conscript in history – that was all Wulff. His superior officers claimed he was the most determined and driven person they’d ever met.

But then, no one else was trying to prove themselves to someone like Beowulff Kohcell.

And when his father finally died from a headcold in the Vulpes mountains while out on patrol, something changed in Wulff. Some say he grew cynical, stumbling numbly through the responsibilities of war.

But then, death has a way of closing chapters in life – even chapters that don’t end the way we’d like. Wulff was left at the end the way he was left in the beginning: a bastard, and now it was permanent.

So years went by in a haze of sweat and pain. He learned to live for the fight and the war room – one kept his body numb while the other occupied his mind. And he excelled, managing to find new focus in the work. In short, he became the father who never wanted him.

Or he would have, had she not saved him.

Her name was Queen Venezia, and she had other plans.

Next Time: Venezia

When we next meet, we’ll look at Queen Venezia, the only person to whom Wulff spoke his mind, and the woman who was quickly finding herself the most powerful person in Arcadia.

If you’ve enjoyed this and want to be alerted when new ones come out, sign up for the blog’s mailing list below. You can also get major game updates by signing up for the newsletter.

And as always: find myself and Becca on Twitter, shoot us an email, and let us know what you think! What exactly is the nature of Wulff’s relationship with the Queen, and what might it mean for a kingdom already embroiled in war and fraying at the edges? Sound off with theories and questions and we’ll try to focus on them in future posts!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »

Finally have the opportunity to start chipping away at the new map style! All those gorgeous reference photos I've collected are being put to use. Bit by bit the building facade is being made.

Braffolk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »

I'm really digging the art style, it look absolutely fantastic!

Following  Gentleman
Marauder
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »

Really loving the attention to detail on all of your work. Tactics games will always be my favorite genre, so i'm really looking forward to your game.
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »

Smiley Thank you for the support Marauder & Braffolk!

Little update on that tileset:

Coming together a little more now~

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »

It will be funny (and awesome) if you guys end up surpassing what the Unsung Story project (what is starting to become somewhat of a a circus side show) set out to do.

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »

This is coming along great! So awesome to see works in progress. Keep up the great work!

@OMGWTF - Going to have to check out Unsung Story.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic