Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:52:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Picking R-Tree Node Sizes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Picking R-Tree Node Sizes  (Read 676 times)
StCredZero
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »

Games are probably the most frequent use of R-Trees in this particular fashion: As an "in-memory" only index. There may or may not be an initial "bulk" loading of many items, and even the larger ones are usually not that large by GIS and search engine standards. They are updated frequently, with individual items taken out and placed back in in a loop.

If one wants to optimize for nearby regions and nearest-neighbors queries, how should one set up the minimum and maximum node sizes in an R-Tree? For in-memory databases, there's no need to make node sizes larger to optimize for fewer disk accesses. Smaller node sizes may well produce more efficient queries for small nearby regions and nearest neighbors. Does anyone have experience with this?
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »

I didn't realize games have used R-trees often. I had only really ever seen them in relation to spacial search stuff. Do you have any references to them being used? It seems like it could be a good idea for handling asset streaming.

StCredZero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »

I didn't realize games have used R-trees often. I had only really ever seen them in relation to spacial search stuff. Do you have any references to them being used? It seems like it could be a good idea for handling asset streaming.

Spacebase in-memory spatial database uses r-trees. (Not to be confused with the game of almost the same name.) It's meant for games and simulations.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic