Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:58:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessKickstarter Opinions & Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter Opinions & Feedback  (Read 1193 times)
richardatlas
Level 0

Clever Endeavour Games

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

Hey everyone! I wanted to open up a thread to be used by anyone, to get help in reviewing and giving feedback on Kickstarter campaigns before they go live. Our company's Kickstarter goes live next week, and we'd love the TigSource community to help with some feedback on the campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/292879712/1715631130?token=37b95c9f

If people leave feedback for others as well as posting their own projects, this thread could work!

Let me know what you think please Smiley the video isn't finished and not all images are there, but the text and tiers are there.

Thanks!
Rich

@ClevEndeavGames
rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

Why is it called Ultimate Chicken Horse, was there a Lesser Chicken Horse or Penultimate Chicken Horse? For that matter, why is it called Chicken Horse? I get that two of the characters are a chicken and a horse, but it's not called Racoon Sheep.  Wink

Probably a huge thing you've got placeholder text for right now is under The Team you've got "descriptions below." When I'm considering the likelihood a Kickstarter game will ever get finished, it depends a lot on whether it sounds like the team has any relevant experience.

I think in the Risks and Challenges section do not put the risk that the Kickstarter won't get funded. Maybe you are worried about that, but as a potential backer, I do not care. If you don't get funded, I am out no money, so it is not a risk from my perspective.

It can still make sense to mention that you plan to finish the game with a smaller scope without the funding, because it shows you have confidence that you can make it and don't expect the money to magically overcome barriers that you see as impossible. But also it depends on the team's relevant experience whether that sounds confident or delusional.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:36 PM »

With a $25,000 goal and a $15 game price the project would be looking at a target number of 810 to 1,130 backers to reach 100% funded. Getting over 500 backers is the tough part. A short-term goal for momentum reasons is that the campaign should try to exceed 30% funded before halfway through the Kickstarter campaign's run. Ideally 15% to 30% or more is raised in the first 7 days to have a good chance of being in a position where a surge in the final week can get the project funded.

$1 tier: A good idea.
There is no $1 tier. I will continue to strongly recommend $1 reward tiers. Every backer counts for project momentum and project ranking. A better ranking means more internal exposure. Offering something more than a thank you, like a digital desktop wall paper or being listed in the credits, can bring in more backers.

$10 tier: Early bird version of $15 tier.
250 $10 slots would contribute at least $2,500 (10% of goal) when filled. That is good. Not too many and not too few slots.

$15 tier: Adds copy of game.
An immediate big problem is that this tier does not provide a strong enough incentive to contribute to the campaign now instead of just waiting for the game to release. It is right now really just a copy of the game without much compensation for the risk backers take on. Even as something as simple as being listed in the game's credits can get someone to pledge now instead of buying it later. Get multiple people's opinions about if a $15 price is too high or not. Pricing too high sinks campaigns quickly. Pricing too low makes it harder to cover funding distances. I hold the opinion that it is better to go too low than too high. A discount that is not an early-bird discount could be built into the tier (Such as $3 off the $15 planned release price). Again, get a bunch of people's opinions on this.

$20 tier: Early bird version of $25
250 $20 slots would contribute at least $5,000 (20% of goal) when filled. If the basic price is $15, then the tier's price is a $10 savings.

$25 tier: Adds an additional copy of game.
If the basic copy is $15, then the tier's $25 price is a $5 savings. A question to ask yourself is what to do if someone want to pledge for 3 copies. To facilitate this, an add-on rewards system is actually a good candidate until the $100 tier. Looking forward in the rewards a lot of headaches can be avoided by using an add-on reward system. The $20 tier could be kept the same because it is difficult to implement discounts for add-on rewards. At the $100 tier or above a few additional copies could be automatically thrown in to help pad the value up.

$35 tier: Adds beta, soundtrack and digital art book but only has one copy of game.
The content could be serve the project better at a lower price point. Ignoring the early-bird tiers, the jump is $15 to $35 which is way bigger than I'd like to see. Backers in the low end of the price range are much more sensitive to small increases in price than backers at the higher end of the price range. It helps to look at things with percents. When a price jump is more than 200% take a second look at it. The next reward tier is $50 which is another relatively large price jump that would be expected to reduce the number of backers that would proceed past $35. The $1 to $50 range is where to expect most of the campaign's backers, so most of the attention should go into tuning that area. Sometimes designing Kickstarter rewards is like designing a gentle fishladder to get the most out of backers. If the rewards don't flow well, then the average pledge per backer amount can suffer meaning more backers will be required to reach the same funding goal.

$50 tier: Adds a postcard.
I really like postcard rewards. I have a few hung on my wall. Using the 4x6 format means they can fit inside photo frames like an small art print. The tourism industry has helped kept the cost of mailing individual post cards low. If mailing multiple postcards (With different art) to the same backer, it can be cheaper to send them together in an envelope. The art style of the game works well for postcard art prints. Remember to not go crazy with logos of "Thank you for backing" when the intention of a postcard is as an art print. The postcard should serve as a piece of art to display even if someone didn't know it was from a video game.

$75 tier: Adds a t-shirt and some other details.
T-shirts are both a headache to fulfill because of the surveys, blank shirt selection, sizes and shipping, but at the same time they've proven to be a popular choice for backers. I keep seeing project creators decide to have a price jump from $75 to $100 which is strange because the project then misses out in the $80 to $90 range that can be good performing reward tiers. People argue about how many reward tiers a project should have. Instead of trying to meet a specific amount tier, I've been recommending covering funding hotspots and creating a good flow to the rewards.

$100 tier: In-game message on side of barn.
I like this tier. It finally mentions being listed in the credits.

$150 tier: Design a level.
Double-check your time-cost for fulfiling this reward. I could repeat that over and over for the following reward tiers. You don't want to lose money on reward tiers.

$200 tier A: Design a block.
Good. It is limited to 10 slots which is good in that it prevents the reward from becoming too popular.

$200 tier B: Music in game.
A bit strange as a reward idea.

$300 tier: In-game portrait.
Double-check your time-cost.

$500 tier: NPC character.
Good.

$1,000 tier: Design a character.
Good. When there isn't a reward tier to hold a larger pledge, that creates a disincentive to pledge that much. An example is that no $5,000 tier means less chance that a stranger would pledge $5,000. At the same time it is important not to stretch the content in the rewards structure too much just so that it can end at a new upper range.

First impressions of the rewards structure is that there isn't really much happening in it. It feels too sparse. More digital-only content should be brainstormed. The game does seem difficult to brainstorm reward content for. It is not like a RPG where backers could get a cool alternate sword. Backers could be distinguished in some way with a skin or badge from other players. There could be a backers-only category to the leaderboards.

The Greenlight page went up Janaury 23rd. It has become very clear that lauching a Kickstarter campaign and Greenlight campaign at the same time is more effective than launching one even a few days before the other. Greenlight pages often have interest peak at the beginning. If the Kickstarter campaign comes later most of the views the Greenlight page could have generated will have already disappered. If the Kickstarter campaign goes before then people may not vote the Greenlight page up if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't look too healthy.

The game went onto Square Enix's Collective platform. The poll had 37% Yes and 63% No.

Platforms are listed as PC and Mac. I highly advise having an answer prepared about a Linux version. It is one of the frequently asked questions in the video games category on Kickstarter. On IndieDB the engine is listed as Unity. I personally get worried when I see a game going after console ports.

Some people will dismiss the project based on its art style. Hardcore PC gaming community has developed a stigma against casual looking art styles or art styles that look like they are targeting a very young demographic.

A Kickstarter launch party is planned for Thursday April 16th. A standard 30 days length would have the campaign end on Saturday May 16th which is very strongly not recommended. It could severely harm what the amount the project can raise. Weekends see a significant drop in traffic to the platform. That week would also risk competing against the strong campaigns that wait for the middle of a month to launch due to the paycheque cycle for many workers. I suppose the start date won't change due to the arrangements already made for that day.

If sticking with the April 16th launch, increasing the run to 32 days would have it end on a Monday which should result in a much healthier final 48 hours. Running 33 days to end on the Tuesday is potentially a little bit better due to the weekly cycle for many bloggers. It would also potentially make better use of the reminder e-mails that go out to potential backers that starred the project. Having the last 48 hour reminder e-mails go out on a weekend can reduce their effectiveness because inboxes on weekends often get backlogged.

Moving the launch hour is probably also not an option you would consider. A 19:00 (I am assuming EST) launch would already miss most of the traffic for that day. It would effectively be like launching on a Friday. The hour on the deadline should avoid ending in the morning for the Eastern Time Zone.

A late Thursday launch is a bit problematic for press. It is too late in the day for many blogs to post about the campaign when it is finally live. Earlier in Thursday can actually be a good time for press because Thursdays are some blog's slow days, but the project wouldn't be live in those hours. The campaign isn't high profile enough to get a series of posts for the launch from the same blog. Friday is a generally bad day for the performance of press articles, but that may have to be when the press goes up. Press would need to be contacted before launch. Messaging some bloggers on a Friday can be the equivalent of messaging them on Sunday night. The project page could use more content that bloggers could actually do commentary with. They need something to talk about instead of just regurgitating a press release.

There are a lot of placeholder graphics right now. The banner images for sections of the project page, the team biography blurbs and some other pieces of art are very good.

The project page text usually undergoes many many iterations in the final build up to launching. It always feels like a little more polish and rephrasing is necessary.

Remember when doing the pitch to frontload gameplay content. The team showing up in the first few seconds can be a waste of time as it is taken as a turn-off by many regular Kickstarter users. Put the game first. The first 30 seconds needs to convince them to keep watching.

The risks and challenges section needs work. It is brief and a bit odd feeling. Don't forget about the portion lost to taxes.

There is the small note of "In the single player mode, solve tricky puzzles by placing the platforms we give you into the level to reach the end, and test your problem solving platforming skills!". My instincts tell me that the project needs to go much much deeper into this singleplayer puzzle solving. Some people won't care about the multiplayer. They will need a good enough single player experience to get them to pledge.

Another thing is at least have an outline for what the project updates will be. Even better is to actually get to work on the big updates before the campaign even launches. Having to work on big updates during the campaign can pull effort away from the marketing. Many people think they can churn out a high rate of good updates during the campaign, but then end up burnt out.

wisetaner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 05:58:34 AM »

I see a lot of animated gif's but where is your introductory video? With crowdfunding if you don't have a video showing and discussing the highlight's of your game, then you may not get many if any serious attention. Or is the video in there and just not showing until it goes live?

Also in regard to your 25,000 CAD Goal, keep in mind that Kickstarter takes 5% in fees, Amazon or paypal also take approximately 5% in fees, Steam takes 5% in fees, and Canada...well they most likely have taxes you will need to pay. Overall you will only be receiving up to approximately 60-75% of the funding at the end. Will you be able to develop your game on 75% of 25,000 CAD (which is 18,750 CAD)?

Wise = Accepting that you will always be learning new information and that no one knows everything. When you make a mistake, do not let pride rule you, instead accept, acknowledge, learn from, and move on from that mistake.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »

Amazon or paypal also take approximately 5% in fees

Kickstarter uses Stripe for payment processing (3-5% in fees).

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Flubberknuckle
Level 0

Flubberknuckle Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »

Probably a huge thing you've got placeholder text for right now is under The Team you've got "descriptions below." When I'm considering the likelihood a Kickstarter game will ever get finished, it depends a lot on whether it sounds like the team has any relevant experience.

I think in the Risks and Challenges section do not put the risk that the Kickstarter won't get funded. Maybe you are worried about that, but as a potential backer, I do not care. If you don't get funded, I am out no money, so it is not a risk from my perspective.

It can still make sense to mention that you plan to finish the game with a smaller scope without the funding, because it shows you have confidence that you can make it and don't expect the money to magically overcome barriers that you see as impossible. But also it depends on the team's relevant experience whether that sounds confident or delusional.

He's right. Investor confidence is tied directly to how they see your(the developer's) confidence. You need to make yourself and your team seem more sure, otherwise if you don't seem to think you can do it, why would your investor think otherwise?

If your team has experience in making games, it would be a good idea to post those games/experience. Even if each member has only worked on one or two games individually, that totals to many games made by the team. It's a good thing for a curious investor to see.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »

There is usually much more done in the project preview when there is less than 4 days until the scheduled launch. Other campaign's would be at this stage with over a week still to go before the launch. Preparing for a Kickstarter campaign can take a month. The last week is often polishing the project page while waiting for the demo or pitch video to be finished. The project page is often the fastest part done.

The black backgrounds for the Twitch and Greenlight images don't fit well with the background used for other images. Alternatives that stick with a white background would fit better. An animated GIF where there is one square for each of the animal friends has a flashing white frame in its animation. The project creator avatar image may need to have the logo nudged a few pixels right and shrunk a bit to avoid cutting off the "E".

That "Party mode activate" animated GIF with the horse jumping on the big red button is cool. Personality is one way a game can stand out and Ultimate Chicken Horse does have personality.

The pie chart in the preview currently shows:
10% Kickstarter's cut.
12% Audio.
6% Accounting and legal fees.
12% Rewards.
60% Game development.

Kickstarter takes a 5% fee, then Stripe processes the credit cards which is variable but pessimistically plan for it to be another 5% lost. PayPal is what project creators can manually setup on their websites but does not add to the total displayed on Kickstarter. In the past Kickstarter used Amazon to perform payment processing.

Console and mobile keys need to be paid for if no other arrangements are made. There can be bulk buying rates. A batch of free keys can be negotiated sometimes that could cover some or all of the backers' copies. This can surprise some developers who thought they could easily add a console stretch goal (The QA process is another surprise cost for some).

The Steam market has a fee for in-game items starting at 5% or a $0.01 minimum. Other than potentially that I do not know of what 5% fee that wisetaner mentioned about Steam. Steam's business model does take a cut, I won't specify, on new sales made through its platform. Kickstarter backers are kind of considered an old sale so developers have been able to ask for a batch of free keys to distribute to backers.
"If my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?
Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.
"

Money from Kickstarter is treated as taxable income. This can be another unpleasant surprise.

It can also be good to include and label at least a 10% safety margin. Really 10% can be too little buffer if something goes very wrong.

It takes time for good Let's Players to research, record, edit and upload videos. The huge Let's Play channels on YouTube often schedule many recordings a week in advance because of how busy they get. A project would have to be really special to them to rush a video out. Even a small channel may have a 2 day delay getting a video up after receiving a download link. For videos to be ready to go up on Thursday, it would be good to send out the demo to Let's Players on Tuesday. Some Let's Players take weekends off (But still upload content that was prepared in advance), so that can also delay when demo playthrough videos could go up. Below is a link to a thread that talks about where to find Let's Players. If a campaign looks dead after launching, it creates a disincentive to have Let's Play videos made. That is why it is recommended to get demos out early.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47149.0

Each month besides December has a big wave of good projects in the first week and in the middle week. The video games category is starting to see interesting launches like the ones for Little Devil Inside, Songbringer and Wildfire. Competition gets tougher for a campaign when the timing is off. The result can be losing in the popularity rankings because of trying to launch when other campaigns were at their strongest. Waiting until the strong campaigns enter their Kickstarter trough phase can make it easier to get a higher ranking. The last half of a month isn't as difficult to compete in, but traffic can be worse too. Timing is significant for the performance of Kickstarter campaigns.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »

Ultimate Chicken Horse currently has 464 backers pledging $15,170CAD (60.68% of goal) for an average pledge amount of $32.69 per backer.

Kicktraq shows a trend to $26,126 (104% of goal). Kickspy shutdown last month. Kicklytics shows a trend to $18,333 (73% of goal). SideKick shows a 95% success probability. Bitly shows that April 30th had the most sharing of the project shortlink of any other day so far at just under 150 clicks.

Comments per day is low. It would be good to see more effort into engaging in conversations with backers like asking their opinion or having polls. If people aren't talking in the comments area, it can be an indicator of lack of something to talk about or to hold their interest. There are only 29 comments overall. The project did receive a Staff Pick. The project updates were really just funding progress announcements and shout-outs for other projects until the April 27th update that introduced a new sliding saw obstacle. The May 1st update introduced honey. More updates like these new ones should help.

For competition there is Yooka-Laylee soaking up a lot of attention. There are rumours that ex-KONAMI game designer Koji Igarashi will be launching a project this month. The start of a new month also means a fresh wave of high quality projects.

There were some Let's Plays for the demo from a few channels:
pswnagemcgee - 4,521 views
Jupiter_Hadley - 87 views
Kyler Kelly - 2,015 views
Stumpt - 3,764 views + 301 views for episode 2
Fourplay Show - 25 views
Indiecent Exposure - 146 views

YouTube still should have a lot of potential to generate more views.

There was a very successful /r/Games post. That was probably the best exposure I've seen for this campaign so far. A lot of coverage for the game from large blogs was from before the Kickstarter campaign launched. IGN Italia did cover the project on April 20th. IGM (Not IGN) covered the game in a screenshot weekly round-up for April 21st. There was a mention on IGDA Montreal's site on April 21st.

Here are graphs about Ultimate Chicken Horse's rewards:
http://i.imgur.com/oEiurH4.png

The $10 and $20 early-bird tiers are full. This is good. One of the risks with early-bird rewards is that if there are too many slots and they last too long into the campaign, it makes the campaign less efficient per backer. Why? The attraction of a discount funnels backers to those tiers. It can be hard to resist grabbing a deal that is about to disappear even when the same person might have been fine pledging at a higher priced tier. When the $20 tier became full (Red bar) the $25, $35 and $50 tiers saw a boost in being picked.

The $75 t-shirt tier is performing well.

It looks like international backers do not need to pledge more to cover shipping like on some campaigns. That otherwise could have been an explanation for why $1,650 in funding is unallocated funding not linked back to reward tiers. That amount is larger than the contribution by the $10 reward tier. This funding can come from backers pledging beyond the prices of their occupied reward tiers or from backers that didn't select any reward tier at all. There are 17 backers that did not select any reward tier.

The $500 tier with 7 backers is the largest contributing reward tier. That is at least $3,500 (23.07% of current funds raised). It is not good to see a campaign depending so heavily of the large pledge tiers.

The adjusted average pledge per backer is from factoring out pledges that could be from friends and family or are odd in some other way. It becomes $10,170 divided by 454 backers for an adjusted average pledge amount per backer of $22.40 which is on the low end of being healthy for a $15 priced game (I like to see $22 to $31 per backer). It is still a healthy average.

Ultimate Chicken Horse's deadline is Saturday May 16th at 4:11pm PST. Fridays and Saturdays are days to avoid ending for performance reasons. It is close to a pay cheque day for many people, so existing backers could be able to upgrade their pledges easier. It should be able to easily bring in another $3,300 before the last 48 hours. With that funding gap of just $6,530 the campaign should be able to get funded. It could take an additional 300 to 450 backers from now to get to 100% funded. It may be very difficult to reach the $35,000 online multiplayer stretch goal without some really good press near the end. It would have to have momentum severely stall out before the last week for there is be a significant risk of not reaching 100% funded.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic