Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:35:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesBloody landlord! [finished!]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bloody landlord! [finished!]  (Read 25209 times)
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:10:37 AM »

Hello!

I'm not sure wether making a game out of a B-movie idea results in a B-game... but I'm aplying some Ed Wood's way of doing things (as in Tim Burton's Ed Wood) here: do not care about details, it's the global thing that matters.

Ok, I knew about this competition around the 18th of August. I decided to enter although there is no much time left, with an adaptation of an idea of a friend of mine. What is worse, this week I'll be on holydays with my girlfriend in a hotel. Well, that's not bad, obviously, but I won't be able to code a single line. But this last week I managed to get something working and I think I'll be able to finish a game-like thing for the 13th of September.

Synopsis: Six friends rent a hut by the lake, up in the mountains, looking for a wild weekend party. But there's a reason why the rent is so cheap... Those are your hunting grounds!

You play the maniac landlord and the objective is simple: get the maximum amount of terror from those pervert teenagers. Scare them! Hunt them down! Kill them slowly, make them suffer, or simply behead them!

Well, all that if it works properly. I am using SDL with C++, graphics 'perpetrated' with GIMP and I already have programmed:

- Customizable maps (from text files)
- Controlable maniac (movement and attack), which includes hidding in the woods and bushes.
- Partying teenagers, quite talkative.

When I come back from holydays I'll add the proper "game": the maniac will be able to scare, hit, hunt and kill teenagers. Terror will be measured depending on how you kill them. Threatened teenagers will try to run away from the maniac and go back to the hut and call the sheriff...

It will be difficult, but I hope I'll have enough time Smiley Good luck to those entering the competition! I'll be here again next saturday!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:42:12 AM by Derek » Logged

Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:08:09 AM »

This actually sounds quite cool. Especially the way you scare people.

Film/TV/Game Composer
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:12 AM »

I think that big ideas and limited time for implementing/bug-testing them properly may be a great way to make a B-game.

I love your cast of stereotypes, btw.   Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »

Gameplay sounds pretty sweet Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »

Well, here I am sooner than I expected. Thanks for those comments! Smiley

These are the main characters:

Cheerleader, Captain, Gothic, Nerd, Hippie and Bigboy. Those are their instance names in the code  Smiley I'm not yet sure about the maniak's mask. The current one is just Jason's, but I'll probably change it. And there will probably be a sheriff.

I have no time for animations, so they'll move a little bit like south park characters... But they do talk a lot! Smiley There's quite a bunch of things they say depending on what they are doing (like 'Please, don't kill me!') Next milestone: tag game! Get the victim before it reaches the hut!

r0cko
Level 0

Alley Kat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:41:09 PM »

I hope it gets finished  ;] good luck
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 01:21:53 AM »

What about setting up tripwires, so that when you chase them around they trip up every couple steps like in B movies? :D

LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

What about setting up tripwires, so that when you chase them around they trip up every couple steps like in B movies? :D

Hehehe! I wanted girls to trip from time to time. The original idea was that the maniak should be slower than its victims, but they should trip once in a while, so you could catch them up. However, given that there are no animations, they won't trip for now XD 

I though you were proposing traps. One of the original ideas was setting up traps around the hut, like bear traps or barbwire, so you could also make them run into them. But that's for the 2.0 version XD

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »

You don't have to make new sprites for the tripped victems. Just rotate your current ones 90 degrees. I might be a good idea to have them trip randomly or randomly based on how athletic they are. Captain trips 5% of the time, Goth trips 20% of the time, Big boy.... well lets say he travels more by rolling.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 11:56:18 AM »

Big boy.... well lets say he travels more by rolling.

:D  Indeed, they do have different stats, like being more or less talkative, speeds and accelerations. I'll have a look at the rotozoom library. I think it's the proper way to rotate surfaces with SDL.

LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »

OK! I think the basic gameplay is done. You can chase down your victims around the forest, hit them with different degrees of strength and kill them. They get scared and run away, they avoid you trying to run back home and they cry for mercy (wahahaha)

Now it's time for some juiciness, as Petri says. Scoring system (score depending on the kind of death, pursuit length, sadism... and may be even sound XD

Then the part I hate: first screen - game - end screen structure. I guess I should have done that first  Roll Eyes

One week left!

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 05:09:46 AM »

Would the goth and fatso really get invited along to Camp Lots of Blood? Seems to me this whole adventure of theirs is either a 1980s teen comedy or a front for narcotics manufacture.

LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 03:28:05 AM »

Well, if you ever wanted to feel like Jason Voorhees, get a hockey mask and a machete and run through the closest forest, because this is not a simulator. Theres's a forest, yes, and a hut, ok, some guys partying, sure, and a madman with a scimitar and some kind of mask. But it's not a simulator.

It's up to you to shout DIE DIE while you chase and kill the six teens!

Here it is! Just use the free download Smiley

http://rapidshare.com/files/55336184/Bloody_landlord.rar.html

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 05:34:59 AM »

Ah, great fun :D

It's actually pretty hard! And damn... does that fat guy take more hits or what? I chopped him up into tiny pieces and he was still crawling for that hut! :D Guess I wasn't slicing far enough through his outer coating :D He finally went down though. Stab stab stab! AHAHAHAHA ok I don't really think like this in real life...

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:12:38 AM »

I never really think about it in real life either. I just start swinging until all the voices stop!

They made fun of my baking a cake. It is a delicious cake. YOU MUST EAT IT. Lips Sealed
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »

Yes! Finally killed them all! Great fun!
Lailoken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 01:12:19 AM »

I'm actually a little afraid how fun this was.  following them around closely, trying to stay between them and the hut.  stabbing them here or there just to make em bleed a little more.  Trying to get one hit ambushes are fun too.  Or just running at them with no stealth and watching them panic as you jump on them stabbing like 30 times till they are just a goopy puddle in the woods.  I usually don't like games this easy, but it adds to the feeling of being the superior psycho killer guy.  Right up the part part where I get all cocky and lose to the last teenager.  The laughing sounds as you stab are awesome.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic