Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:38:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAëdemphia
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Aëdemphia  (Read 13768 times)
Creation
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:30:36 PM »

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm in the right section.

Aedemphia, four years in the making by a single man, Sylvanor.

I am merely translating this epic tale (22-26 hours for demo 8.5) but I would like to share this game with the community.

Note that this game is free and won't be sold in the future either.

FAQ:

What's so special about it?

-18 hours
- 141 monsters (each and every one of them hand made, no rip. Monsters are also animated)
- 134 books (in a style similar to Elder Scroll)
- 1151 maps
- 260 side quests
- 703 items (including the equipment, note that items are all hand drawn).
Sample:

- More than a 100 spells.
- 30 Short animations
- 10 Optional bosses (not including the compulsory bosses)

Note that the author is in the process of creating everything by hand, instead of using pre-existent art.

The current demo still has some bugs in it. If you spot any, it would be cool if you could point them out so that we can fix them for the next release.

CLICK THE PICTURE TO DOWNLOAD THE DEMO.

Where are the screens?

Game art:

So what's the story?
Here it is, a summary of the prologue:

Irzyka is the protagonist of this epic tale, the daugher of the Great Urtypzall. Born in a ruined world littered with garbage, she is spared the atrocities or her homeland, sheltered in her father’s castle, Isoloir.

Raised by a duo consisting of her own brother, Alzarith, and a local scientist, Irzyka was never in direct contact with the realities of the outside world.

Her tranquil lifestyle was suddenly shattered when she was finally kidnapped by a young man named Erun. He opened her eyes on the miserable lifestyle of the others living outside the castle, the Inferiors.

It wasn`t long before Irzyka became close friend with Erun and the Inferiors.

A short while later, Irzyka and Erun discovered a project taking place in Castle Isoloir, under the direction of Creas himself; establish a “bridge” between Irzyka’s homeworld and another one, Estarzall, in order to migrate to finally leave the wastelands of her homeworld.

It is then revealed that Erun was created with a sole purpose in mind: he is the Key, he is meant to power the Bridge, the contraption designed to act as a portal between the two worlds.

Erun ultimately sacrifies himself and a Breach is created between Irzika’s homeworld and Estarzall. The experiment has a disastrous impact on the filth covered homeworld; it is entirely destroyed along with its inhabitants.

Irzyka is the sole survivor of a world which has now ceased to exist…

After wandering for a while in this estranged world, Irzyka discovers a small village, Iflare.

Before long, she becomes acquainted with Ufa and his master Egaj. Ufa reveals that he is wandering the desertic lands, raising an army to avenge his deceased parents, killed by a mysterious individual known only as Heartless Soul, a bloodthisty tyrant of Hyurne, capital of the desert.

And so she once again became friends with two strangers from a world not her own and thanks to them discovered the world of Estarzall.

Throughout their numerous adventures in this world, they were confronted by the Four Avatars, four semi-gods, awakened from their slumber for some unknown reason.

As years went by, the army thrived.

Ufa eventually a fully grown man and was finally leading the army he sought all those years.

His army was formed of people from the four corners of Estarzall and supported by the village of Iflare itself.

With such a force under his command, Ufa and his comrades marched upon Hyurne…
-This is where YOUR adventure begins-

Some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuAGArmAC_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZaCW5tz2s0

The characters:

You may download the french version of the game here:

http://aedemphia.warparadise.com/download/Aedemphia.rar

The v.9 of the french demo is about to be released. It's currently at v.8.5.

I hope this is up par with the standards of this forum.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

You should probably have introduced yourself first, but this does look very good! Introduce yourself here.

Welcome to the forums!
LaserBeing
Level 0

it's laser time boyzz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »

Those environments are gorgeous Shocked
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »

The environments alone are frontpage worthy.

ArcturusBTW
Level 0

casio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

Was this done in RPG maker? I recognize the look of the menu screen and the text box below that screen.

And yes, the environments are very well done.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »

That guy can make some purdy landscapes.

Here's hoping it's not as tightly-scripted as most Japanese-style RPGs.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »

This sounds so god awfully familiar.

Unlike a certain other project, this looks really good though. Reminds me of the old RM2k days. The limitations of that maker sparked so many good ideas to get around this limitations and for being a pretty text-book RPG creator people created so many innovative and complex RPG systems with it.

Sorry if it's not a RPG Maker game, but that one screen with the message box kicked off a nostalgic moment for me.

Looking forward to a full english version.
Fuzz
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »

This sounds so god awfully familiar.

Unlike a certain other project, this looks really good though. Reminds me of the old RM2k days. The limitations of that maker sparked so many good ideas to get around this limitations and for being a pretty text-book RPG creator people created so many innovative and complex RPG systems with it.

Sorry if it's not a RPG Maker game, but that one screen with the message box kicked off a nostalgic moment for me.

Looking forward to a full english version.
The website says it's RPG Maker 2003. If the graphics and overall concept are anything to go by, this will be a great game.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »

I usually hate JRPGs, but I think I might make an exception with this one. Those environments are absolutely breathtaking.

Zaphos
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 01:47:13 AM »

There's such a contrast between the beautiful environments pictured in this thread, and the clunky animation and deformed characters in the videos ... I don't know what to make of it.
Creation
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »

Thank you for your interest!

I wouldn't exactly describe the game as being a JRPG however. It's more like a mix of different genres including table top rpgs.  Smiley

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »

That is one beautiful game!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
PaleFox
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »

For those who don't know, RM2k3 is the one where the default battle system is based on Final Fantasy 5, basically, with the class system and side view and so on. If you never do any custom scripting, it's actually better than the one in XP, I think. Hopefully this game is a good one, too. However, it has limitations in that animations can only have so many frames, which is why it looks a bit clunky in motion, and there's no way to change that. If you play a lot of older RPG Maker games you just get used to it Smiley
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:51:13 PM »

Those screens are ouch-pretty.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 12:47:30 AM »

There's such a contrast between the beautiful environments pictured in this thread, and the clunky animation and deformed characters in the videos ... I don't know what to make of it.
I kind of have the same reaction. But regardless, I think this is a really impressive effort. I'm totally blown away at the amount of effort that went into this, and I find it very motivating!

Some of that background work is really beautiful.
Fuzz
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »

Haven't tried the demo yet, but I saw an RPGMaker thread about this where basically everyone was saying it had great graphics, but no gameplay. I suddenly have less of a desire to play this game (I'll try it anyway just to see though).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 01:55:27 AM »

Haven't tried the demo yet, but I saw an RPGMaker thread about this where basically everyone was saying it had great graphics, but no gameplay. I suddenly have less of a desire to play this game (I'll try it anyway just to see though).

Knowing how people work, it was probably just jealousy and the gameplay is fine. Typically *any* pretty game is accused of that, and nine times out of ten it has no worse gameplay than average.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 02:17:19 AM »

Really, really nice environment art. A bit unsure about the character drawings though (especially in the videos in cut scenes).

Fuzz
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:43 AM »

Knowing how people work, it was probably just jealousy and the gameplay is fine. Typically *any* pretty game is accused of that, and nine times out of ten it has no worse gameplay than average.
Yeah, a lot of that probably isn't true, but this game does look like it puts art before gameplay. Some people commenting in that thread were being total idiots, and saying that the game was horrible and it's bad because the developer is European, so I shouldn't really let them influence my opinion of the game without having actually played it.
Creation
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:35:00 AM »

Ha ha! Yes, I know of which thread you are talking about. Wink

The game gives you choices in different situations, different dialogue options, just like in Baldur's gate.

A member complained that the character shouldn't use Holy Magic if she can make offensive dialogues choices.

Well, it's his opinion but I thought that was nitpicking. 0___o

I think the gameplay is excellent. Don't get me wrong, just because I'm translating the game, doesn't mean I like everything about it. I've done my share of criticism and still do.

Whenever you get levels you choose how to spend some attribute points (Just like in Planescape: Torment) and some skill points. There are passive skills (permanent skills) and active skills (used in combat).

This means that you have magic points and skill points, which is nice as fighters have other options besides selecting the Attack option all the time (which is unfortunately the case in most rpgs).

You also have limit breaks (like final fantasy VII).

You can steal things from shops, bargain, do hold-ups (where you still everything in a store for free). In some occasions you can attack shopkeepers and kill them to steal their loot.

The author has polished this game more than once. The game should last about 18 hours to 20 hours and that's being conservative. Well the author redid all of the NPC dialogues because he thought they were too weak (and I agree that they were weaker before at times).

I don't want to say that whoever criticizes that game as people being jealous. I don't think it's that simple or fair. But rpg maker games usually use ripped material from other pro games so I think a game which uses all of its own custom made graphics does have quite an impact in some communities.

Now the game is created by someone who will work as a graphic designer which explains why the graphics are especially well done.

In my opinion the graphics are fine and the gameplay is fine.

I've told this to the author so I can share this with you guys.

The main issue at this point in time (in my opinon) is how the story is driven. I find the introduction lenghty and hard to follow for newcomers.

Sylvanor, the author, said he would redo it and make it more immersive.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic