Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:38:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 32 (begins April 17th)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 32 (begins April 17th)  (Read 21429 times)
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 02:54:55 AM »

Looks like I was wrong about the cutoff - 17 votes was the minimum requirement for ratings, not 20. This means only 555 entries are unrated.

Although I can understand your disappointment with your score, you should think about the people who didn't event got the 20 votes required to be ranked - I've tried to rate some of these games following "please save these games" posts on the last voting day, and some of them were actually quite good or interesting.

I don't know how games end in this state (I guess it's due to low coolness), but to me the most sad outcome for a game is no one playing it, isn't it?

Every single one* of the unrated entries' creators have rated less than 6 games themselves. 346 (62%) of them rated no games at all.

* The sole exception purposely unchecked all categories and as such did not receive any votes.

7 people got away with not voting on anything and still got into the ratings, because popularity trumps all and life is not fair.
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 07:39:01 AM »

Although I can understand your disappointment with your score, you should think about the people who didn't event got the 20 votes required to be ranked - I've tried to rate some of these games following "please save these games" posts on the last voting day, and some of them were actually quite good or interesting.

I don't know how games end in this state (I guess it's due to low coolness), but to me the most sad outcome for a game is no one playing it, isn't it?

Suppose its best to focus on positives. Some people actually took the time to play my game and comment (mostly positive), which is a complement in itself.

Feel kinda sad about games that diddn't get played though Sad makes me think of puppies being left out in the snow.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »

Maybe people who got no votes didn't tell people about the game, I guess. Can't just upload it and call it a day and expect people to find it among so many other games. Gotta tweet it or something.

Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:44 AM »

And rates games too!

Thanks VDZ for the detailed data. Honestly, I still don't understand how people enters Ludum Dare without rating ANY games at all. I mean, of course rating games takes time a not every one can rate 100+ games, but, come on, rating at least 5-10 games in 21 days isn't such a hard commitment when you already spent 48-72h to create a game?

Or maybe some people simply didn't understand the "rate other people's games to get your game rated" rule?

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
ProjectX593
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2015, 11:53:46 AM »

TeleMage

Coolness   100%
#85   Innovation   3.91
#100   Theme   3.98
#231   Overall   3.55
#236   Fun   3.47
#406   Graphics   3.29
#623   Audio   2.53

Not bad for my first LD! I'm apparently a pretty cool guy  Grin
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2015, 11:17:27 AM »

Maybe people who got no votes didn't tell people about the game, I guess. Can't just upload it and call it a day and expect people to find it among so many other games. Gotta tweet it or something.

I did not to any thing like that (except posting my game on this forum, and the Swedish equivalent) and I got mote votes than I placed votes. Getting votes only correlated in time with me voting on other games. Every time I took time to vote, my "coolness" increased and my game would pop up on the front page of game voting section for a few minutes.

I don't use twitter (or any of those modern social media thingamajigs). I'm just assuming they don't help much since only participants get to vote any way. But I might be wrong. Does anyone who tweeted their game have any numbers to share?

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »

Tweeting about my entry got a few people to play/rate it but not many. My game was also feature on Warp Door and IndieGames.com and they got absolutely 0(zero) ratings from that exposure. I'd imagine if a few notable Ludum Dare devs tweet about your game that'll help, but honestly playing and rating lots of games is your best bet.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic