Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:29:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHelp Us Pick Our Studio Logo!
Poll
Question: Which version do you think is a better studio logo?
Image #1: Black and White - 0 (0%)
Image #2: Blue with Yellow - 5 (100%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help Us Pick Our Studio Logo!  (Read 1024 times)
RoboticPotato
Level 0

CEO

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:52:11 PM »

Hey guys, we haven't been to active on here in a while, and we're looking to change that!
To that end, we thought we would start by asking for everyone's feedback on a design for our new studio logo.

We are currently trying to choose between our existing studio logo:

Image #1: Black and White

And a new Version of the logo:

Image #2: Blue with Yellow

Any feedback on these logos would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone,
Tom

Visit the Robotic Potato!
http://roboticpotato.com
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »

Blue with yellow looks much better to my eyes. It's legible at smaller sizes than the black and white one and is much more iconic.

That said, organic shapes often don't work too well in logos. The potato looks like it was a freehand attempt at drawing an ellipse that didn't turn out quite right. The nonuniformity of the yellow portion reinforces that perception and makes the whole thing look wonky and kind of sloppy.

I think the logo might be able to get away with the organic potato shape if the yellow part were a uniform pattern. Varying line thickness is good, but not just at random the way it is now. What if it started thin at the edges and got thicker toward the center?

Edit: This might fit better in the Art subforum. The Design subforum is focused on game design, not visual design.

RoboticPotato
Level 0

CEO

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

I see what you mean about the organic vs geometric shapes. When our artist was putting the design together, he said that the hand drawn design of the yellow arc was meant to contrast the geometric shapes of the eyes and mouth, but it's really helpful for us to understand that that is not coming across correctly.
Maybe if we make that arc more solid, and add more of an organic shape to the head, the contrast will come across correctly, and the head won't look like an "ellipse that didn't turn out quite right" lol

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:09:16 PM »

I like the second one the most, but honestly they are both pretty low-quality works. I think the problem is that they look like something I would have done when I was in high school dreaming of making a game studio from the ground up.

RoboticPotato
Level 0

CEO

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »

Fair enough!

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 12:12:41 AM »

#2 because gradients suck for logos.

As a logo, #2 is actually really good because you hit all the points for a good logo.
1. People can instantly see the link between the logo and the name.
2. 2-3 colors. (maybe drop the cyan color)

Font could be improved but it's not bad.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »

Second one is better, but the text isn't centered properly in it. Fix that, and I think it's pretty nice.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »

second

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic