Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:19:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGIBSON HYPERDRIVE
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GIBSON HYPERDRIVE  (Read 4833 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »

Coming Soon to devices near you, a much improved and refined version of:

http://doomlaser.com/bike/

Cool

Originally Fated as Terror Bikes, by Messhof, myself, and Cactus, GIBSON HYPERDRIVE rises from the ashes of a fallen neofuture and arrives, crashing through your doorstep into hyperbole.

Controls are arrows and space.

It's currently hard as fuck and janky like a good Bike Game. Imagine the possibilities.

[email protected]

Wizard Ninja Gomez Waaagh! Cheesy Cave Story

@doomlaser, mark johns
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »

I know it's hard as fuck at the moment and it's got some test sky particles, but it feels pretty good to me, and people liked this build at Bit Bash. It's come a long way. Originally this was my testbed project for relearning Unity3D after years of writing my own engines or using even more crazily disabled middleware for stuff like Space Barrnacle. I need to get this guy out. Needs some things obviously, but yes. Just wanted to give people a chance to play around with it.

V. Super Hexagon inspired, obviously, but all the core mechanics and instadeath come from messhof's 2009 prototype. I added the world rotation (taken from my game Rotrix) in 2010 at TIGJam: Winnipeg, and have been poking at it ever since. You can see that version in the last shot in this Indie Game: The Movie clip:

Anyway, have fun getting killed. It's hard. My record is over 200 seconds on this test level..

@doomlaser, mark johns
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:08:12 AM »

Here's the trailer from when we took the as yet unnamed prototype to BitBash in Chicago last fall. Great event.

@doomlaser, mark johns
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:09:54 AM »

ok played for a bit. im terrible, my record is like 10 seconds haha.

anyway, some criticisms:

1. it can be hard to tell whats going on. maybe im just slow but it felt pretty overwheling having to parse the 3d level architecure in combination with those cloud effects in such a short time. i understand the sort of feel you're going for but maybe theres a way to preserve it while making the game a little more manageable? also i personally don't care for the viewpoint. the bike reads as an amorphous black blob at the bottom of the screen to me.

2. idk what the spacebar actually does. it didnt seem to work when i tried pressing it. maybe im missing something. maybe the game needs better feedback in general? a lot of the times i died i didnt really know what happened.

3. it takes way too long to actually "die" once you fall off the track.

the basic aesthetic and gamefeel is neat tho. keep it up!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:15:20 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »

I wonder which console this is going to come out on....  Ninja  Cool Cheesy Facepalm

Gomez Cave Story

@doomlaser, mark johns
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:29 PM »

Wow. I feel like I haven't seen anyone use the Marquee tag in about a decade. Crazy.

Anyway, I tried the old version out and it felt really weird not to have keys to rotate (roll) in the air. I kept going off jumps and just falling because I couldn't rotate to stick to a wall that was near me. I guess you just have to think ahead and drive up slopes in preparation to ride on walls in the next section? Or are there roll keys that I wasn't aware of?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »

Roll in mid air will be possible on certain bikes. Wait till you try it in VR  Tears of Joy Cry Gomez

Some Press! https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/598887227872190465

COOL!!  Ninja Waaagh! Cave Story 
http://www.alphabetagamer.com/gibson-hyperdrive-prototype-download/

Gibson Hyperdrive is a very cool futuristic bike racing game that sees you driving at break neck speeds along super tough procedurally generated floating tracks.
Don't forget, JASPER BYRNE on the soundtrack, and DAN TERMINUS' Restless Destroyer![/url[

http://t.co/bkwNV0eoXR

Follow: [url]http://twitter.com/Doomlaser[/url] for updates as they come in, plus 'social media'

Happy to be making this game for you, TIGSource! And my boys & girls in The Poppenkast, of course (shhhhh!   Hand Joystick Hand Any Key Toast Left Toast Right Wizard Cool)

@doomlaser, mark johns
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »

First organic Lets Play footage! From a person on a Mac no less <3.  Blink Cool!

& Here's an album of images from the prototype for you people:

http://imgur.com/a/xMstE#5 

Gomez  Hand Knife Right  Hand Money Right  Hand Thumbs Up Right  Shocked  Cool  Cave Story

@doomlaser, mark johns
cosmologosaurusrex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »

rly fun and addictive! The player needs to see more of the level that is ahead to not unfairly taking a turn that leads to death imo. Also some more possible paths would be nice.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »

wow those screens look neat as hell
mrandyjoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »

If Super Hexagon was a driving game it would be this game. I made it to 13 seconds and I am proud of that.

Those new screens reassured any fears I had that the art would not improve. Really this is a solid little title. I like the addition of the switches for some doors - not that the game needed to be harder, but it was a nice touch. Because of the grueling difficulty, I wouldn't mind just a little bit tighter control of the ship, but overall I really had a lot of fun with this. Looking forward to where it goes.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »

yessss

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/bring-magic-spelunky-3d-architecture/?utm_content=bufferb687c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic