Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:19:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that don't feel like working another job
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Games that don't feel like working another job  (Read 7055 times)
Canned Turkey
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »

+1 for antichamber, loved that game.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 01:41:36 PM »

some kirby games have collecting garbage as part of their mechanics...like treasures?

play hydlide 2
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »

i think the currency thing is a lil' bit of a grey area, because so many games involve it no matter what, even if only for extra junk

i think that repetition is also a grey, because high score games like rusty's real deal baseball: cage match game mode a are insanely fun despite being identical every time

i think that really what this comes down to is gut vibes dude

like animal crossing breaks the currency rule but totally fits the list i think, even though it by all accounts should feel like work

anyway

a game that fits these requiries tho: super monkey ball 2, which is the ultimate game. it's the purest arcade game there is. one day you'll all know

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »

like animal crossing breaks the currency rule but totally fits the list i think, even though it by all accounts should feel like work

AC does feel like work to me after a while, thats why i usually give up after a two or so weeks. i really like everything about the game except that you have to basically adjust your daily routine to it.

i guess the reason why this thread is getting some negative reactions is that your (mittens) criteria are vague/subjective and that the title is implicitly hostile towards games that don't fit them.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »

i guess the reason why this thread is getting some negative reactions is that your (mittens) criteria are vague/subjective and that the title is implicitly hostile towards games that don't fit them.

Yes.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »

Yes, I should probably be a little less condemning of games that I don't think suit the list, but right now I'm in a very negative mood towards grindy, job-like games when I already work a grindy job-like job all day.

Even though everyone seems to be getting real hung up on the fact that Zelda, to me, can feel like work I'm glad that I've at least got to buy/try a few titles I wouldn't have otherwise due to suggestions here

I really hope there's more out there

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »

Slightly related to what you're saying I think. Came out today too, lucky you!

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »

you probably want to avoid Paper Boy.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »

i got that feeling when playing games like Painkiller, Soldier of Fortune 1, any basic fps with a braindead scenario.
jiitype
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »

You might like the AaaaaAAAAAaaaAAAAaaaa games. All you do is fall.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »

i make no difference between indie and aaa, as long as i'm enjoying the game.

i'd add Noitu love 2 Devolution and Fairy bloom Freesia
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

he meant a reckless disregard for gravity, not aaa development

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »

i got that feeling when playing games like Painkiller, Soldier of Fortune 1, any basic fps with a braindead scenario.
Hmm, I need to try out Soldier Of Fortune. It's video game magazine ad looked kind of cool.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »

skyrim, you just get lost seriously, the grind and currency is just make believe they are so superficial they have literally no impact, the whole game is about pretending you have some shit to do but actually are not force to do.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »

that description of skyrim is spot on  Hand Clap
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »

really, any modern mario game. great mechanics layered over an extremely easy main campaign. makes for an enjoyable experience you don't really have to think too hard about. I'd argue that some of the earlier stuff is a bit too hard for this list tho

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »

Ristar. Yeah, I'm a freak for this game, but I've always felt the mechanics in that game are VERY under-appreciated.
Basically, everything you do is with your hands. If something looks suspicious, you can try and throw your hands at it and see what happens. Everything is revolved around grabbing. In real life, today in fact, how many times did you jump like Mario or any other character in a videogame that jumps? Now, how many times have you used your arms and hands today?

There are so many ideas and different things you can do with what Ristar does that it's unbelievable I haven't seen a similar game since it was created. With a mechanic so simple yet diverse, there's a lot to it with very little work. Other than the difficulty of course.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 03:54:27 AM »

everything you do is with your hands. If something looks suspicious, you can try and throw your hands at it and see what happens. Everything is revolved around grabbing.

it's unbelievable I haven't seen a similar game since it was created.
https://youtu.be/COSjtG8BCAI?t=11m30s
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 04:14:27 AM »

Oh yeah, always forgot this one! I thought there was a sequel, but after looking it up, it didn't do too well. :/
And only came 2 years after Ristar, so we haven't seen anything similar in 18 years...20 for Ristar. Of course I'm sure there are others, but nothing that comes to mind. I or someone needs to make a spiritual successor.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 04:21:13 AM »

I remember being at a very dark times in my life and just turning Ristar on and strolling through the first level.
Such a fun game, they wont make them anymore. I mean the most recent sonic begins with him dying while dubstep plays.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic